|San Benito Junior College (1919–1963)|
|President||Kathleen A. Rose|
|Location||Gilroy, California, U.S.A.
|Colors||Blue and Red|
|Mascot||Rocky T. Ram|
|Affiliations||California Community Colleges and Gavilan Joint Community College District|
The college was established in 1919 as the San Benito County Junior College. It operated as such until 1963, when a new community college district was drawn that included both San Benito County and southern Santa Clara County. The college moved to its present main campus in 1968.
The main campus is in Gilroy, California. In 1997, satellite sites were added in Hollister and Morgan Hill to augment offerings on the main campus. In 2008 land was purchased in Coyote Valley and San Benito County for the future development of additional campuses.
Organization and administration
The college president from 2003-2016 was Dr. Steven M. Kinsella. Kathleen A. Rose, Ed.D, was named Superintendent / President in June 2016.
Gavilan College offers Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees, and certificates in a variety of career fields. Popular programs of study include Liberal Arts, Nursing, Administration of Justice, Computer Science, Digital Media, Child Development, Cosmetology, Biological Sciences, Communications and Business. Gavilan College is also the only community college in northern California offering degree and certificate programs in Aviation Maintenance Technology.
Gavilan College hosts an early college high school, Dr. TJ Owens Gilroy Early College Academy (GECA), established in 2007. GECA students are able to complete two years of college in their four years of high school by taking advanced placement and honors classes, as well as Gavilan College courses alongside Gavilan students, and can graduate with up to 60 transferable units.
Fine and performing arts opportunities include theater, children's theater, gallery art, mural art, ceramics, Folklorico dance, choir, instrumental ensemble, symphony, and vocal ensemble.
Athletics teams include men's football, baseball, basketball, and soccer, and women's soccer, basketball, softball, and volleyball. They are nicknamed the Rams.
 African American: 3% Asian American: 7% Hispanic: 43% International: 0% Native American: 1% White: 36% Unknown: 9%
- Luis Alejo, Former California State Assemblyman
- Jeff Garcia, quarterback for the San Francisco 49'ers
- Frank LaCorte, baseball pitcher for the Atlanta Braves and others
- California, State of. "California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office - Data Mart".
- Dr. TJ Owens Gilroy Early College Academy was named in honor of the late T. J. Owens (February 4, 1937 – October 17, 2005), former Gilroy Unified School District board trustee and president. Obituary: http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/community/trustee-tj-owens-dies-after-stroke/article_0d379eea-d09f-5a8f-8cb2-f9dc884f1dc4.html
- "Explore Gavilan College".
- "Gavilan College alumni shine on election day". Gavilan College. 11 November 2010. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- Purdy, Mark (29 November 2016). "Jeff Garcia wants to coach San Jose State football - and would be a good choice for the Spartans". The Mercury News. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- Powell, Mark (24 March 2011). "Being Frank". Gilroy Dispatch. Retrieved 28 February 2017.