Mission College (California)
|Motto||"Where today’s students meet tomorrow’s opportunity"|
|Type||Community college, Public|
|Location||Santa Clara, California, United States
|Colors||teal, black and white|
|Affiliations||West Valley–Mission Community College District|
Mission College is a community college located in Santa Clara, California, and is part of the West Valley–Mission Community College District. Founded in 1975, Mission College's course offerings are broad-based and include computer technology, hospitality management, health occupations, and fire prevention, as well as a large number of transfer degrees.
In recent years the school has hosted a number of speakers, including Pulitzer Prize winning author Sonia Nazario  Civil Rights activist Cornel West,Tuskegee Airman Les Williams  former Santa Clara Assistant District Attorney Rolanda Pierre Dixon 
In May 2014 the Gillmor Center opened, named after former Santa Clara, California mayor Gary Gillmor. The building houses 50 percent of the college's class room and is a LEED Gold Building.  Gillmor was the City's first elected mayor and helped facilitate the land sale that eventually became Mission College. 
The Hospitality Management program runs lunch service on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Formerly called the Owl Cove, it is now called the Mission Bistro. The restaurant was renovated between 2009 and 2012. 
In its parking lot it hosts 2,640 high-efficiency SunPower solar panels, saving the college $9 million over the next 25 years. 
In January 2011 the school opened its new Child Development Center preschool. 
Organization and Administration
Mission College is part of Silicon Valley's West Valley–Mission Community College District, which also administers West Valley College in nearby Saratoga, California. It is part of the California Community Colleges System. The district serves the cities of Campbell, Los Gatos, Morgan Hill, Monte Sereno, Santa Clara, and San Jose. The district's headquarters are on the campus of West Valley College.
Mission College is located within Silicon Valley's "Golden Triangle" business district. The Mercado shopping center is immediately to the South and includes restaurants and a 20-screen movie theater. Facilities of both EMC and McAfee are immediately to the East.
The college originally was focused around a single large structure where most of the classes took place. In 2014, the Gillmor Family Center opened, with state-of-the-art classrooms and labs on three floors. The library, cafeteria, and bookstore are in nearby buildings. A separate building houses the science departments. The Hospitality Management building includes the "Mission Bistro", which serves lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the Fall and Spring semesters.
Mission College is reached from the California's Great America exit of U.S. Route 101. There are shuttles that are reachable with walks of a few blocks that connect to the Old Ironsides station of the Santa Clara VTA Light-rail, the Great America station of the Altamont Commuter Express, and the Lawrence station of Caltrain. The VTA bus lines 57 and 60 stop in the college's front loop.
Asian 36% Hispanic 21% White 20% Filipino 9% Unknown 6% African American 4% Two or more races 3% Pacific Islander 1% American Indian/Alaskan Native 0%
Mission College has a variety of clubs: Alpha Gamma Sigma, Associated Student Government, Fire Tech Student Association, The Florets, Future Accountants of America, Kinesiology Club, MC Dance Company, MC Health Occupations Association, Mission Inter-Connect, Muslim Student Association, Puente Club, Umoja Community Club, Veterans with Associates.
Mission College has men's and women's tennis, women's basketball, softball, women's badminton, baseball. It began a new website in February 2017 at missionsaints.com.
- http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/21/west-valley-mission-college-teachers-protest-contract-delays/. Missing or empty
- http://patch.com/california/saratoga/west-valley-mission-college-district-faculty-preparing-possible-strike. Missing or empty
- http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/01/31/super-bowl-50-events-jan-31-super-bowl-teams-arrive-heart-performs/. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2016/Issue-46/at-mission-college-pulitzer-prize-winning-journalist-sonia-nazario-tells-story-of-child-refugees.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2016/Issue-19/civil-rights-activist-cornel-west-speaks-at-mission-college.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2012/Issue-10/tuskegee_airman_les_williams_speaks_at_mission_college.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2017/Issue-11/mission-colleges-african-american-celebration-luncheon-recognizes-achievements-of-african-americans.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2016/Issue-49/mission-colleges-vargas-gallery-flashes-not-so-heavy-metal-ii.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2016/Issue-41/mission-college-symphony-kicks-off-10th-season-with-intimate-mini-concert.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2014/Issue-19/mission_college_dedicates_gillmor_family_building.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2013/Issue-4/gary_gillmor_donates_250000_to_name_the_newest_building_on_the_mission_college_campus.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2015/Issue-14/culinary_students_manage_the_mission_bistro.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2011/Issue-48/mission_college_unveils_solar_project.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.santaclaraweekly.com/2012/Issue-4/new_child_development_center_preschool_opens_at_mission_college.html. Missing or empty