Solano Community College
The main lobby of Vallejo campus
|Vallejo Junior College|
Officer in charge
|Jowel C. Laguerre, Ph.D.
|Chairman||A. Marie Young
(president of the Governing Board)
|Vice-president||Leslie Minor, Ph.D.
(vice president of academic affairs)
|Location||Fairfield, California, United States of America
|Campus||Fairfield, Vacaville, Vallejo|
|Athletics||Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Soccer|
|Affiliations||Bay Valley Conference, World Organization of Webmasters|
Solano Community College (SCC) is a two-year institution of higher learning headquartered in Fairfield, Solano County, California (between San Francisco and Sacramento), with two satellite campuses in Vacaville and in Vallejo and with classes in several other locations. The college is part of California Community Colleges System, which comprises 112 campuses in 72 districts across the state. SCC's service area includes all of Solano County, and the town of Winters in Yolo County. It has 10,814 students.
The college was established in 1945 as Vallejo Junior College. It was part of the Vallejo City Unified School District until 1967, when it established itself as a countywide institution.
SCC consists of a main campus and two satellite campuses: one in Vacaville and another in Vallejo. It also uses space at other locations for classes that the three campuses cannot accommodate. The 192-acre (0.78 km2) main campus in Fairfield was completed in 1971; its Vacaville satellite campus was opened shortly after. On September 15, 2007 the satellite campus in Vallejo had opened. In its first year, the college had approximately 5,000 students and the three-campus system as of 2007 has a total of approximately 11,000 students .
Exchange and cooperation abroad
- Joe Carnahan, independent film director
- Bakari Hendrix, professional basketball player
- Tug McGraw, Major League Baseball relief pitcher and the father of Country music singer Tim McGraw and actor/TV personality Mark McGraw.
- Casey Sheehan, Army Specialist and son of Cindy Sheehan
- Sylvester (Sly) Stewart, Musician and Creator of the famous funk group Sly & the Family Stone
- Rudy Sylvan, NFL, player for the Detroit Lions
- Rob Wainwright, PBA player for the Welcoat Dragons
- Mike Gibson (American football)
- Johnny Colla, Musician/producer/singer/songwriter and founding member of Huey Lewis and The News
- Ed Rollins, Republican campaign consultant
- San Joaquin Delta Community College District, which serves Rio Vista, a town in Solano County.
- Wolf, Andrea "Triumphant return", Vallejo Times Herald, September 16, 2007
- Solano College Official web site - Campus Information
- Letter of Intent for Cooperations between Jinggangshan University and UC Davis and Solano Community College
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Solano Community College.|