|This article does not cite any references (sources). (December 2013)|
Prefecture building of the Gers department, in Auch
Location of the Gers in France
|• President of the General Council||Jean-Pierre Pujol (PS)|
|• Total||6,257 km2 (2,416 sq mi)|
|• Density||28/km2 (71/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|^1 French Land Register data, which exclude estuaries, and lakes, ponds, and glaciers larger than 1 km2|
Inhabitants are called les Gersois.
The culture is largely agricultural, with great emphasis on the local gastronomical specialties such as:
|Union for a Popular Movement||9|
|•||French Communist Party||3|
Geography and demography
Located in southwestern France, the Gers is part of the Midi-Pyrénées region. It is surrounded by the departments of Hautes-Pyrénées, Haute-Garonne, Tarn-et-Garonne, Lot-et-Garonne, Landes, and Pyrénées-Atlantiques. The Gers is often referred to as amongst the least densely populated, or most rural, areas in all of Western Europe.
List of the 10 most important cities of the département:
The winters vary, with only occasional freezing temperatures, but the climate remains mild and dry, the departement is one of sunniest in France.
The summers are very hot and dry, the temperatures often is exceeding 40°. Auch is together with Toulouse and Millau one of the hottest cities of France, with often more than 300 sunny days in the year.
According to recent data tourism represents annually:
- 610 000 tourists,
- 5.900.000 nights,
- 22.100 commercial beds,
- 2 400 paid employment related to tourism,
- the tourist represent an equivalent of 17.100 permanent inhabitants,
- their estimated expenditure is 141.000.000 €.
- Cantons of the Gers department
- Communes of the Gers department
- Arrondissements of the Gers department
|Wikisource has the text of the 1879 American Cyclopædia article Gers.|
- (French) General Council website
- (French) Prefecture website
- (French) Good Website on Gascony and the Gers
- (French) http://www.gers-gascogne.com/fr/default.asp
- Welcome to the Gers in Gascony http://www.tourisme-gers.com/gers-vacances/uk/home.asp
- (French) Gers net - Moteur de recherche gersois.