International Distillers & Vintners
International Distillers & Vintners was a brewing and wine and spirits distribution company, formed from the 1962 merger of W&A Gilbey and United Wine Traders.
W&A Gilbey was founded in 1857 as a gin distillery by Sir Walter Gilbey, but by 1962 had a diversified family share holding, chaired by former figure skater and politician, Ronald Gilbey. He had resigned from London County Council in 1958, to become chairman of W&A Gilbey, a post he held for eleven years. At the time of the merger, Gilbey's was the largest wine and spirits company in the United Kingdom.
- "Obituary: Mr Ronald Gilbey". The Times. 3 August 1977. p. 16.
- Darryl Lundy. "Alfred Ronald Dashwood Gilbey". thepeerage.com A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Jackson, W Eric (1965). Achievement. A Short History of the London County Council. Longmans. p. 263.
- "Who are the Gilbeys?". gilbeygroup.com. Retrieved 2012-06-09.
- Competition Commission Report 1983 Archived 2012-01-21 at the Wayback Machine