|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Commissioned||14 July 1999|
|Capacity||1,240,000 bbl/d (197,000 m3/d)|
The Jamnagar Refinery is a private sector crude oil refinery owned by Reliance Industries in Jamnagar, Gujarat, India. The refinery was commissioned on 14 July 1999 with an installed capacity of 668,000 barrels per day (106,200 m3/d). It is currently the largest refinery in the world.
On 25 December 2008, Reliance Petroleum Limited (RPL) announced the commissioning of its refinery into a Special Economic Zone in Jamnagar, Gujarat, India. The completion of the RPL refinery has enabled Jamnagar to emerge as a ‘Refinery Hub’, housing the world's largest refining complex with an aggregate refining capacity of 1.24 million barrels (197,000 m3) of oil per day, more than any other single location in the world.
The globally competitive RPL refinery was commissioned in 36 months. RPL contracted several companies having expertise in engineering construction and refining like Bechtel, UOP LLC and Foster Wheeler amongst others. There are plans for the pipeline to process High Pour Point crude oil extracted at Barmer, Rajasthan in the near future. This would require an electrically heat traced pipeline to be set up from Barmer to Jamnagar.
The entire complex as of 2013; consisting of manufacturing and allied facilities, utilities, off-sites, port facilities and a township (415 acres of land) with housing for its 2,500 employees, results in over 7,500 acres (3,000 ha; 11.7 sq mi) = 30,000,000 m2. This area, if overlaid on Mumbai or London, would cover more than one-third of either city's landmass. If all of the pipes used in the refinery were laid out, one after another, they would connect the whole of India from north to south.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 'Golden Peacock Global Award for Sustainability' for the year 2010
- 'Golden Peacock Award for Occupational Health & Safety' for pace setting performance in OH and Safety in 2010
- 'Safety Innovation Award' from Safety & Quality Forum of Institute of Engineers (India)
- 'Greentech Platinum Award' Safety Category, in Petroleum Refinery Sector in 2010
- '5 Star Award for Health & Safety' from British Safety Council for sustained performance in Health & Safety in 2010
- 'Greentech Environment Excellence Award 2010' in Gold Category in Petroleum Refinery Sector in 2010
- 'Greentech Safety Award' in Platinum Category in the Petroleum Refinery Sector in 2011
- Listed as one among the world’s top five manufacturing units.(among other by Discovery Channel world’s top five largest factories:Reliance’s Jamnagar Refinery, Volkswagen ‘s car plant, Kitt Green Foods plant, NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, POSCO ‘s steel plant).
- "Reliance commissions world’s biggest refinery", The Indian Express, December 26, 2008