|Arulmigu Kalasalingam College of Engineering(AKCE) (1984-2006)|
|Motto||Focus research in "3-O" technologies (Bio, Info, Nano), Education and Research Institution|
|Chairman||Late 'Kalvi Vallal' Thiru T Kalasalingam|
|Location||Krishnankoil, Tamil Nadu, India
|Campus||Sub Urban, 320 acres|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AICTE, NBA|
Kalasalingam University (Tamil: கலசலிங்கம் பல்கலைக் கழகம்) is located in Krishnankoil near Madurai in Tamil Nadu, India. The campus is close to the ancient temple town of Srivilliputhur. The tower of the Srivilliputhur temple is used in the emblem of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
- 1 History
- 2 Overview
- 3 Features
- 4 Courses offered
- 5 Central and departmental libraries
- 6 Campus
- 7 Examination system
- 8 University status
- 9 Centres of Excellences
- 10 Notable Faculty and Alumni
- 11 Sister Institutions
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Kalasalingam University (formerly Arulmigu Kalasalingam College of Engineering) was established in the year 1984 by the Kalasalingam Anandam Ammal Charities. "Kalvivallal" Thiru T. Kalasalingam, veteran freedom fighter, is the founder chairman. The Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, New Delhi granted university status. Institutions declared under this section are deemed to be universities. Kalasalingam University is member of ICT Academy of Tamil Nadu, an Initiative of Govt of India, Govt of Tamil Nadu and CII, An IS0 9001 - 2008 Certified Organisation.
Kalasalingam University (KLU) is located at the foothills of the Western Ghats in rural setting of Virudhunagar District and is catering to the needs of the downtrodden and rural youth. The University is situated at Krishnankoil, 65 kilometres south of Madurai and 10 kilometres North of Srivilliputhur, in Madurai-Shenkottah National Highway (NH208). The founding philosophy of the Institute is to "Empower Youth", for development through technology.
- Offers 13 undergraduate and 25 postgraduate courses in Engineering in addition to MBA, MCA and MSc courses
- Facilities for research
- B.Tech. programs for people with speech and hearing impairment
- Twinning program in collaboration with foreign universities
- Practical schools for students to promote industry awareness
- Part-time courses for working professionals at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Lateral entry available for certain courses.
It offers Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) and Master of Technology (M.TECH.)degrees in the following fields:
- Automobile Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Information and Communication Technology
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Information Technology
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Food Engineering
Central and departmental libraries
- Extensive collection of academic volumes and titles
- Popular periodicals
- National and international journals
- Supplementary digital resources (CD-ROMs and audio cassette equivalent)
University sporting facilities include an athletic track, basketball courts, tennis courts and a football ground. The campus is WiFi enabled and available with SunFire 4800 enterprise server, SunFire T1000 server, 6 numbers of IBM Blade Servers, 4 numbers of Wipro Rack Servers and 6 numbers Desktop Servers (from HP and HCL), and 9 TB storage cater the computing and storage needs of the faculty and students. The central server farm includes file servers, a database server, a mail server, a web server, a backup server, a proxy server, and an e-learning server.
The academic year is divided into two semesters named as Even and Odd. Each semester has three internal exams and one final exam (semester exam) for all theory subjects. Generally, semester exam questions are from Anna University. Laboratory courses usually have two internal exams followed by the final exam. Most of the exams are theoretical, similar to other engineering colleges in India. It follows Choice Based Credit System (CBCS), which is followed by leading universities around the world including Indian Institutes of Technologies (IITs).
Centres of Excellences
TIFAC-CORE in Network Engineering
TIFAC-CORE in Network Engineering (TCNE) is established based on MoU signed on 14 January 2002. The MoU was signed by Dr. C. Thangaraj, Principal, AKCE and Dr. Y. S. Rajan, Executive Director, Mission REACH in the presence of Dr. M. S. Vijayaragavan, Advisor, O/o PSA to Govt. of India and Mr. K. Sridharan, Secretary, AKCE. This centre is offering consultancy and testing facilities for industries and other user organizations in the field of Network Engineering. TIFAC-CORE in Network Engineering is undertaking Research & Development activities in the field of Computer Networks, Network Security, Embedded Networking and Power Networks.
Aims and Objectives
- To serve as a nodal center for network technology development and adoption
- Offer training in all areas of Network Engineering
- Promote R & D activities having direct applications to industrial sector
- To be a National Agency for Certification of Network products
With a view to promoting research, development and advanced training in Discrete Mathematics, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi has initiated steps towards setting up National Centre for Advanced Research in Discrete Mathematics (n-CARDMATH) .
Kalasalingam University is the first institution in our country to get n-CARDMATH. It was formally inaugurated by His Excellency Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam on 5 January 2007.
Under n-CARDMATH at Kalasalingam University ten sub-projects in the area of Graph Theory and Combinatorial Optimization have been approved by DST.
The n-CARDMATH Core Group Research facility (CGRF) in our University include a Library and a Laboratory with high speed computing facilities. Also there is a provision for Visitors Programme. The funding for establishment of the Core facility and for individual projects in the first phase is around Rs.3,00,00,000.
Dr. S. Arumugam, Senior Professor (Research), Kalasalingam University is the Coordinator of the Project.
Centre for Biotechnology
The Center for Biotechnology at Kalasalingam University is the research arm of the Department of Biotechnology, which was established in the year 2002. The centre carries out research in diverse fields of biotechnology that affect human welfare. Currently, research at the Center for Biotechnology focuses on Infectious and Inflammatory Diseases, Bioprocess Engineering, Neurophysiology, Plant Biotechnology, Environmental Engineering and Animal Biotechnology. The centre offers a doctoral program in Biotechnology. The vision of the centre for the next ten years is to transform the centre into a world-class research hub. The following are the plans for the next decade.
- To establish at least two centres of excellence to carry out advanced studies
- To publish at least 10 peer-reviewed articles per year in high-impact journals
- To establish research collaborations with Indian and overseas partners
- To develop need-based technologies for transfer to industries
Centre for Composite Materials
Centre for Composites Materials was established in the year 2009 as an interdisciplinary centre for carrying out teaching, research, design and development in the field of composite materials and their applications. The centre has dedicated laboratories for composite materials processing, materials testing, composite machining and deposition. The centre is taking effort to produce eco friendly high performance materials. This research centre is partially funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST). Center for Composite Materials
Centre for Multifunctional Material Research
Multifunctional Material Research in Advanced Materials Science & Technology, The development of advanced materials can even lead to the design completely new products including medical implants, miniature energy storage devices, display devices, etc. Multifunctional Materials Research Centre
Notable Faculty and Alumni
Department of ECE Notable Alumni
Mr.Suruvilel Prasath 1995-1999, Mr.R.Thirumaran • 2008-2012, Mr. S. Jeevanantharaja 2002-2004, Mr.L.Lamb Navin 2002-2006, Mr. Ajay 2005-2009, Mr.Alagar Ramanjuan 2002-2006, Mr.Subash Chandran 2005-2009, Ms.Dhuvija 2005-2009, Mr.Gokul 2005-2009, Ms.Lipitha 2005-2009,
Mr. Vinod R. V 2002-2006 Mr.R.Radeep Krishna 2009-2011.Presently Assistant Professor,Department of ECE,Kalasalingam University.
- Anand Institute Of Higher Technology
Website : www.aiht.org
- Anand School of Architecture
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam College Of Pharmacy
Website : www.akcpharmacy.org
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam College Of Arts & Science
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam Polytechnic College
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam Industrial Training Institute
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam Teacher Training Institute
- Arulmigu Kalasalingam College Of Education
- Kalasalingam Institute Of Technology
- Kalasalingam School of Architecture
- Linga Global School - CBSE
- Under section 3 of UGC act 1956 wide notification No. F.9-2/2002/U.3 dated 20 October 2006 to AKCE.
- "MCA College in Delhi". IITM.
- "UGC Act-1956" (PDF). mhrd.gov.in/. Secretary, University Grants Commission. Retrieved 1 February 2016.