Vidhan Sabha constituency
|Lok Sabha constituency||34. Medinipur|
|Electorate (year)||194,006 (2011)|
As per orders of the Delimitation Commission, No. 224 Kharagpur Sadar (Vidhan Sabha constituency) is composed of the following: Kharagpur municipality and Kharagpur Railway Settlement of Kharagpur I community development block.
|INC||Gyan Singh Sohanpal||55,137||35.25||-19.81|
|AITC||Rama Prasad Tewary||34,086||21.73||N/A|
|BSP||Sk. Asgar Ali||1,058||0.67||+0.01|
|Independent||Mata Prasad Gupta||959||0.61||N/A|
|NOTA||None of the above||2,392||1.52||N/A|
|BJP gain from INC||Swing||+26.16|
|INC||Gyan Singh Sohanpal||75,425||55.06||+16.38|
|CPI (M)||Anil Kumar Das||43,056||31.43||#|
|BJP||Prem Chandra Jha||9,303||6.79|
|Independent||Satya Deo Sharma||5,191||3.78|
.# CPI(M) did not contest this seat in 2006.
|Party||Seats won||Seat change|
|Indian National Congress||2||0|
|Jharkhand Party (Naren)||0||1|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||7||7|
|Communist Party of India||1||1|
Note: Constituency abolished – 1 (See template talk page for details)
Gyan Singh Sohanpal of Congress won the Kharagpur Town assembly seat for six years in a row from 1982 to 2006 (for earlier victories see below), defeating Prem Chandra Jha of RJD in 2006, Lalji Pandey of CPI(M) in 2001, Kalidas Nayek of CPI(M) in 1996 and 1991, and Jatindra Mitra of CPI(M) in 1987 and 1982. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Sudhir Das Sharma of Janata Party defeated Jatindra Mitra of CPI(M) in 1977.
Gyan Singh Sohanpal of Congress won in 1972, 1971 and 1969. Narayan Choubey of CPI won in 1967, 1962 and 1957. In independent India's first election in 1951, Kharagpur had a single seat, which was won by Muhammad Momtaz Moulana of Congress.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 September 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- "Kharagpur Sadar". Assembly Elections May 2011 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". Kharagpur Sadar. Empowering India. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011" (PDF). Kharagpur Sadar. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 September 2011. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "224 - Kharagpur Town Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "Statistical Reports of Elections". General Election Results and Statistics. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original on 5 October 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.