Košice International Airport
Medzinárodné letisko Košice
|Operator||Letisko Košice - Airport Košice, a.s.|
|Elevation AMSL||755 ft / 230 m|
Source: Vienna Airport 
Košice International Airport (Slovak: Medzinárodné letisko Košice) (IATA: KSC, ICAO: LZKZ) is an international airport serving Košice, Slovakia. It is the second largest international airport in Slovakia. It is located 6 km (3.7 mi) to the south of St Elisabeth Cathedral, 230 m (750 ft) above sea level, covering an area of 3.50 km2 (1.35 sq mi). It serves both scheduled and charter, domestic and international flights. Airport capacity is 800,000 passengers a year as of 2012.
Košice Airport operates 7 direct flights to the following destinations - Prague (Ryanair), Warsaw - Fryderyk Chopin Airport (LOT Polish Airlines), Vienna (Austrian Airlines), London - to London Luton Airport (Wizz Air ) and London-Stansted Airport (Ryanair), Liverpool (Ryanair) and Dublin (Ryanair). More than 300 destinations are available with a maximum of one change.
Construction of the airport began in 1950s near the suburb of Barca. In 1954, construction began on the first part of the new passenger terminal, hangar and new control tower. In 1955, direct flights began between Košice and Prague. The power supply was enhanced by more powerful transformers in 1962. Increasing traffic required a larger passenger terminal by the mid 1960s. The foundation of the SNP Air Force Academy in 1973 strengthened aviation in the then republic of Czechoslovakia. Between 1974 and 1977, the runway was increased by 1,100 m (3,600 ft), the power supply rebuilt and a lighting system installed to meet CAT II ICAO specifications. Military aviation at the airport stopped in 2004.
Another extensive reconstruction of the runways and equipment area took place in 1992-1993. In 2001, the construction of a new terminal began, which was opened in 2004 and in 2005 was awarded the title Construction of the Year 2005. In 2004, the business company Letisko Košice - Airport Kosice, a.s. was established, in which a strategic partner joined in 2006. In 2007, the handling area was expanded, which increased the number of stands.
After the completion of the new terminal, the airport was privatized, currently it has the largest share (66%) of business in the airport KSC Holding, a. s., whose majority shareholder is Vienna-Schwechat Airport, and the remaining share (34%) is owned by the Slovak Republic.
Košice Airport has charges comparable to nearby airports in Vienna, Prague and Budapest. The airport is trying to attract new carriers and fly out new routes from Košice. Carriers who want to introduce new lines are designated Growth Incentive Scheme, which reduces their fees.
The total area of Terminal 1 is 4,456 m2 (47,960 sq ft), of which more than 3,500 m2 (38,000 sq ft) is designed for the travelling public. Facilities include international and domestic departure and domestic gates, aviation and travel agencies, a nursery, a quiet room, and comfortable business lounge. There are also restaurants, car rental booths and small shops.
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines operate scheduled services to and from Košice Airport:
|AirExplore||Seasonal charter: Antalya|
|Eurowings||Düsseldorf (resumes 27 March 2023)|
|Freebird Airlines||Seasonal charter: Antalya|
|LOT Polish Airlines||Warsaw–Chopin (resumes 27 March 2023)|
|Ryanair||Dublin, Liverpool, London–Stansted, Prague|
|SkyAlps||Seasonal charter: Brač (begins 17 June, 2023)|
|Smartwings||Seasonal: Antalya, Burgas, Heraklion, Larnaca, Rhodes|
|2021||168 742||+73,3 %|
|2022||539 749||+224.1 %|
Routes to and from Košice Airport (2022)
|Vienna||Vienna International Airport||14||Austrian Airlines|
|Warsaw||Warsaw Chopin Airport||6||LOT Polish Airlines|
|London||London - Stansted||5||Ryanair|
|Prague||Václav Havel Airport||2||Ryanair|
|Liverpool||John Lennon Airport||2||Ryanair|
|Destionation||Number of passengers||Airlines|
Košice Airport can easily be accessed by car, taxi or bus as it is located 6 km (3.7 mi) from the city centre.
Bus 23 is operated by the local public transport company. It connects the airport and the station square, where you can find a bus and train station. The bus route passes through the city center and it takes about 20 minutes.
The official partner of the airport is AIRTAXI which provides 24-hour service and has fully air-conditioned premium Škoda Superb vehicles. The price of transport from the airport to the city center is 18 €. AirTaxi dispatching will arrange a vehicle for you on the exact date and time or for your arrival. The driver will be waiting for you with a name tag in the arrival hall.
The airport lies directly adjacent to the highway which leads to the ring road. Passengers driving their own cars can park at the airport parking lots. You have a choice of 3 parking lots: short-term parking P1, long-term parking P2, long-term parking P3 for parking during longer journeys, the minimum parking time there is 8 hours. Your car will be monitored by a camera system throughout the parking period. Car rental facilities are also available at the airport.
- "Košice - Slovakia". world-airport-codes.com. Retrieved December 15, 2020.
- "FLUGHAFEN WIEN AG REPORTS 23.7 MILLION PASSENGERS AT VIENNA AIRPORT IN 2022, MORE THAN DOUBLE THE PREVIOUS YEAR AND ALREADY 75% OF RECORD PASSENGER TRAFFIC RECORDED IN 2019". Vienna Airport Press Office. January 19, 2023. Retrieved January 19, 2023.
- "Technical information - Airport Košice". Košice International Airport. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- "Letový poriadok | Letisko Košice". www.airportkosice.sk. Retrieved October 13, 2021.
- "Košice International Airport | O SPOLOČNOSTI". 2006-10-05. Archived from the original on October 5, 2006. Retrieved October 13, 2021.
- airportkosice.sk - Route map retrieved April 9, 2022
- "AIR EXPLORE SCHEDULES NEW SLOVAKIA - ANTALYA CHARTER ROUTES IN 3Q22". Aeroroutes. Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- "Official Ryanair website". ryanair.com. Retrieved January 19, 2023.
- "Official Smartwings website". Smartwings.com. Retrieved January 19, 2023.
- "Letisko Košice bilancuje mimoriadne úspešný rok 2018". Košice International Airport. January 14, 2019.
- "Rok 2019 bol pre letisko Košice druhým najúspešnejším v histórii". Košice International Airport. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- "VACCINATION DRIVE AND TESTING STRATEGY SHOULD ENABLE HEALTHY TRAVEL FOR EVERYONE IN 2021 – VIENNA AIRPORT EXPECTS RECOVERY OF FLIGHT TRAFFIC NO LATER THAN IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE YEAR" (Press release). Vienna International Airport. January 21, 2021. Retrieved August 23, 2021.
- "Rok 2021 na letisku Košice | Letisko Košice". www.airportkosice.sk. Retrieved January 25, 2022.
- "Letisko Košice v lete prilákalo vyše 40 921 dovolenkárov | Letisko Košice". www.airportkosice.sk. Retrieved October 13, 2022.
- "Mestská hromadná doprava | Letisko Košice". www.airportkosice.sk. Retrieved October 13, 2021.
- "Taxi | Letisko Košice". www.airportkosice.sk. Retrieved October 13, 2021.
- "AirTaxi Košice". www.air-taxi.sk. Retrieved July 8, 2022.
- "Parkovanie na letisku | Letisko Košice". www.airportkosice.sk. Retrieved October 13, 2021.