Rhodes International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
|Rhodes International Airport "Diagoras"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Ρόδου "Διαγόρας»
|Hub for||Olympic Air|
|Focus city for||Aegean Airlines|
|Elevation AMSL||6 m / 19 ft|
|Statistics (2014, as of November 30th)|
Rhodes International Airport, "Diagoras" (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Ρόδου, "Διαγόρας") or Diagoras International Airport (IATA: RHO, ICAO: LGRP) is located on the West side of the island of Rhodes in Greece. The facility is located just north of the village Paradisi, about 14 km southwest of the capital city, Rodos.
Civil aviation on Rhodes started after the second world war, on the location of the nearby military Rhodes Maritsa Airport. This was the island's main airport until 1980, when the new Rhodes International Airport was opened. The need for a new facility was big, as the 'old' Maritsa airport did not meet the needs for a modern civil airport.
The new "Diagoras" airport was built in 1977. It was decided that, on this location, it would meet the needs of the island better.
Over the passing years, many improvements have been made to the airport, like expansion of taxiways, platform and airport buildings. The most recent upgrade is the new passenger terminal, which opened in 2005, to better accommodate the growing amount of charters and passengers. The airport's plants currently cover a total area of 60,000 m2
In 2015, Rhodes Airport was closed for 14 hours after a 'sinkhole' appeared on the runway. Flight were diverted to Athens and the runway was fixed shortly afterwards.
The airport's single runway direction is 070/250, having a length of 3,306 meters and a width of 60 meters. There are six taxiways connecting the runway with the terminal.
Airlines and destinations
- From airport's version: Aerostat
Annual Passenger Throughput: 14-year history
By car the airport can be reached via the main road along the west coast (Rhodes-Kamiros Avn.). Rodos city is some 30 minutes driving away. Buses to Rodos city depart regularly and the journey takes about 40 minutes.
- Jeppesen aerodrome charts
- "RODOS AIRPORT "DIAGORAS"". ypa.gr. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "Rhodes Diagoras International Airport History, Facts and Overview". Airports Guides. http://www.airports-guides.com/. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Grækere åbner tredje CPH-rute". 5 October 2015.
- JL (24 September 2013). "Aegean Airlines Planned New Routes in S14". Airline Route.
- "Blu Express Adds New Milan Bergamo – Greece Seasonal Routes Jul – Sep 2015". Airline Route. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "British Airways Announce Summer London Gatwick – Rhodes Service.". The BA Source. 15 May 2014.
- "New routes for summer 2015". Easyjet.
- "Germania Flight Schedule / 30.12.2014 - 01.11.2015" (PDF). Germania.
- "Official Journal of the European Union C 321/6". EUR-Lex.europa.eu. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "SmartWings Contact". smartwings.com.
- "SmartWings Flight schedule". smartwings.com.
- Cheap holidays, Package Holidays, Hotels, Flights. Thomas Cook (7 December 2011).
- Falcon | Holidays | Book amazing value package holiday deals online with Falcon. Falconholidays.ie.
- "Vueling open 24 new routes from Rome". Vuelingnews.com.
- "CHARTER FLIGHTS". airportcluj.ro. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Moscow Domodedovo airport flight schedule". Retrieved 30 April 2011.
- "Кернл Хг Аекцнпндю Асдср Керюрэ Вюпрепш Б Хрюкхч Х Цпежхч / Цпежхъ : Вюпрепш /". Travel.ru. 17 March 2014.
Media related to Rhodes International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Greek Airport Guide: Rodos Airport, "Diagoras"
- Airport information for LGRP at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.