Mahadeva Iyer Ganapati
Mahadeva Iyer Ganapati (known as M. Ganapati) (1903–1976) was an Indian engineer who was well known for his accomplishments in national projects. The Rourkela Steel Plant in Orissa, and many Railway projects including Churchgate railway station in Mumbai and Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW) were completed under his leadership. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India in 1954, when the awards were first made. He was the president of the Institution of Engineers (India) for 1973-74.
The main projects with which he was associated with are:
- Rourkela Steel Plant
- Kandla Port
- Malaviya Bridge at Varanasi
- Chittaranjan Loco Works,
- Perambur Integral Coach factory,
- Vivekananda Setu, Kolkata (as Deputy)
- Churchgate Railway Station and other Western Railway projects.
Awards and Honours
- Rao Bahadur, 1946
- Railway Board Gold Medal, 1950.
- Viceroy's Prize from Institution of Engineers India, 1953.
- Padma Bhushan (1954)
- http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=WoAWUa3kBpHKrAfElICQAg&id=UF9IAQAAIAAJ&dq=Bhushan+ganapati+shri&q=President+of+the+institution+of+engineers, "Bulletin of Institution of Engineers India, Volume 26 p. 38"
- p. 353, India who's who, INFA Publications, 1973.
- The corporate story of SAIL by N. R. Srinivasan,Steel Authority of India Limited, 1990. p. 39 (Ganapati is spelt as Ganapathy) http://books.google.com/books?id=RLU0AAAAMAAJ&q=ganapathy#search_anchor
- Padma Bhushan Awards (1954–1959)
- List of Past Presidents of the Institution of Engineers (India) (http://www.ieindia.info/pastpresi1.aspx)
- Times of India Year Book 1960-61, p.228, lists M. Ganapati as the Resident Director at Rourkela. Link: http://books.google.com/books?ei=eIu2ToCLDcHWrQf1x-jBAw&ct=result&id=F5EjAQAAMAAJ&dq=m.+ganapati+railway&q=resident+director+ganapati#search_anchor
- Railway Gazette, 103, p. 515, 1955 http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=YcW3Tsz8A8TqrAfijr3kAw&ct=result&id=LYhCAQAAIAAJ&dq=damodar+breaches+ganapathi&q=damodar+breaches+#search_anchor
- Reference to paper by M. Ganapati in the Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India), p. 683, Bridge Engineering by Ponnuswamy, Tata McGraw Hill, 2008.
- http://www.irfca.org/gallery/GeneralScenes/archive3/plaque.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1 Link to a photo of the plaque on the bridge showing M. Ganapathi's name as the Engineer-in-Charge
- Railway Gazette, 103, p. 515, http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=YcW3Tsz8A8TqrAfijr3kAw&ct=result&id=LYhCAQAAIAAJ&dq=damodar+breaches+ganapathi&q=damodar+breaches+#search_anchor
- Link to Railway Gazette article by M. Ganapati, General Manager of the Western Railways (India): http://books.google.com/books?ei=_4y2To2mL8rorAek4vDaAw&ct=result&id=oX9CAQAAIAAJ&dq=railway+gazette+churchgate+ganapati+western+railway&q=+ganapati+#search_anchor
- The economics of Rail Transport by J. Johnson, 1963, Allied Publishers, p. 103, refers to two articles by M. Ganapati, General Manager of the Western Railways. Link here:http://books.google.com/books?ei=h462TpnyIYHtrAf4srnmAw&ct=result&id=bWIvAAAAMAAJ&dq=m.+ganapati+western+railway&q=m.+ganapathi#search_anchor
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.