8 October 1976 |
|Alma mater||Delhi Technological University|
|Years active||1994 – present|
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
Niketan Madhok is a fashion model and now turned producer. He is known for his contribution to modeling various Indian and international fashion brands & labels, and doing ramp shows & product launches.
Early life and education
Niketan was born on 9 October 1976 in Delhi, India. His mother's name is Kusum Madhok. Niketan grew up in Delhi. Of the two siblings, he is the eldest and has a younger sister. He completed his high school (Grade 12) from St. Columba's School, Delhi and gave high importance to academics. As an intelligent student since childhood, he joined the prestigious Delhi College of Engineering (now Delhi Technological University), New Delhi and completed a degree to become a mechanical engineer. Later, he decided to pursue a career in management and enrolled with the International Management Institute, IMI and was awarded with an MBA degree in both Finance and Marketing. He also studied Enterprise Resource Planning.
He has done modeling projects, shows and assignments in different cities across India and abroad. He has worked with some of the top international and Indian fashion designers including Rohit Bal, Aki Narula, Ritu Kumar, JJ Valaya, Suneet Varma and Muzaffar Ali He has done shows for brands like Blackberrys, Casablanca, Louis Féraud and Reebok. About his professional success, he said in an interview with DNA, "It’s a job that doesn’t give you an opportunity to show your intelligence, but you have to be really smart to stick around." He also commented, "It's show-business, you get to travel a lot, you get a lot of hype & fame and other exciting things in life happen; but the nature of the job is very erratic." In an interview with Zoom, he stressed, "I'm very proud of the work I've done in modeling, but I'm very particular about the quality of work that I do."
Niketan also consulted with few luxury brands for promotions and brand activation. He also curated events in fashion, art and lifestyle space.
He has done many press campaigns and TV commercials for brands like Raymonds, Limca, Tata Safari, Samsung, Sony, Dettol, Hitachi, Kotak Bank, Chivas and many more.
Niketan has now turned producer for TV commercials, digital content and music videos.
Though he was preparing himself for a different career path, he also developed an interest in modeling. When he was 17 years old, he took up his first professional modeling assignment in 1994. He subsequently started doing other fashion shows and projects in Delhi and later in other various cities across India. In 2002, he moved from Delhi to Mumbai to seek a better career in fashion and modeling industry. The same year, he gained eminence in the modeling industry when he walked the ramp for Lakme Fashion Week. During his initial years in Mumbai, he survived on takeout as he didn't know how to cook.
In August 2004, Bovet Fleurier, a Swiss watch major, chose Niketan as its model during its launch in India, with its $38,700 watch. He walked the ramp for Seagram's Blenders Pride's The Blenders Pride Fashion Tour 2005 to showcase designs from their Spring-Summer lines. In December 2005, he displayed the Indian haute couture, Sangam, designed by Hemant Trivedi at The Gulf Hotel, in Manama, Bahrain. Displaying designer collection for the brand Sheetal, it was an event organized to mark Bahraini-Indian friendship. The same month, he modeled for Provogue for its Fall-Winter 2005 collection and the launch of its Rang de basanti collection, along with other celebrities like Aamir Khan, Deepika Padukone, Zulfi Syed and Tapur Chatterjee.
In December 2006, he exhibited the rarest timepieces & watches by the world's oldest watch manufacturer, Vacheron Constantin at The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai. Other models who participated in this event included Deepika Padukone, Dipannita Sharma, Fleur Xavier and Vidisha Pavate. Niketan walked the ramp for the grand finale of Lakme Fashion Week in March 2007. In May 2007, he featured at the launch event of Captain Morgan, a spiced gold rum, by Diageo India at Aurus in Mumbai, along with mix of celebrities like Mahima Chaudhry, Yana Gupta, Nikhil Chinappa and DJ Pearl. Niketan presented the Admiral Collection watches for frequent travelers by Swiss watchmaker Longines in a fashion show in Mumbai in November 2008, that also featured Aishwarya Rai & Carol Gracias among other leading models.
In February 2008, he showcased the launch of new label, 180 degrees, a men's collection, by designer Arjun Khanna at Indigo in Mumbai, along with other models like Marc Robinson, Gautam Singhania, Atul Kasbekar, Deepak Malhotra, Lata Patel and Ayesha Dharker Niketan featured at the launch party of an international beer brand in India, Tiger Beer at Hotel Ashoka, New Delhi, . In September 2008, he exhibited a range of menswear clothes and accessories of an international denim brand Jack & Jones' Fall Winter 2008 collection, with Aftab Shivdasani, Rahul Khanna, Dino Morea, Zaheer Khan and Manish Malhotra. The event marked the entry of the brand in India. He showed up as a guest in the Cîroc's annual bartending competition, judged by Jean Sébastien Robicquet in January 2009. He made an appearance at the Prriya and Chntan's Art Route gallery in May 2009 for preview of artworks by four contemporary artists Nilesh Vede, Hemant Sonawane, Hemant Ravandale and Rakesh Pattnaik and also for unveiling of a limited edition of paintings inspired by the film 99.
In June 2009, he inaugurated the relocation of a new Tommy Hilfiger store to Khader Nawaz Khan Road off Nungambakkam High Road, Chennai with Mandira Bedi In October 2009, Niketan did a modeling assignment for Vodafone at a Shoppers Stop Store in Juhu, Mumbai by showcasing men's T-shirts when the company launched the ZooZoo brand merchandise. Other prominent models like Aanchal KumarBandruna Abdullah were also a part of the project. In November 2009, he modeled the creations by Barkha 'n' Sonzal's couture collection for men titled Dance of the Warrior. He made a guest appearance at the Provogue's Fall-Winter 2010 collection with celebrities like Priyanka Chopra, Ranbir Kapoor, Shamita Shetty, Rocky S and Aanchal Kumar at the club Trilogy in Juhu, Mumbai in September. Basab Paul invited him for his 42nd birthday celebrations in January 2010 and also for the launch of a calendar at the Vie Lounge and Deck in Mumbai, with other celebrities like Sohail Khan, Alvira Agnihotri, Atul Agnihotri, Neeta Lulla, Marc Robinson and Reena Dutta. In June 2010, he made an appearance for a special screening of the film Rajneeti. Salim Khan and Alvira Agnihotri, who held this event, also invited Salma Khan, Helen, Arbaaz Khan. In July 2011, he took part in the French National Day event in Mumbai, a function hosted by Francois Pujolas.
Niketan inaugurated the 8th Shoppers Stop store in NCR at Jacksons Crowne Heights, Rohini, Delhi in July 2011. He has also done campaigns for Raymond and he said, "I've been associated with this brand for about four years. Raymond is special for a male model in this country."
In February 2013, Niketan walked the ramp for Jaguar Couture Fashion Show by designer Narendra Kumar at Hotel Taj Lands End in Mumbai to mark the launch of Jaguar's latest edition - XF2,2D. The other celebrities who participated in this event included Shibani Dandekar, Carol Gracias, Aanchal Kumar and Vijender Singh
- In October 2006, Niketan acted in a television commercial for Sony Mobile Communications for its Sony Ericsson Z550i mobile phone, featuring Drashti Dhami. The project was conceptualized by Dentsu and produced by Happy Dog Films.
- He next appeared in a TV advertisement for the soft drink, Limca in October 2008. The commercial, produced by Ogilvy & Mather, was shot a music video format and also featured Sushama Reddy.
Niketan participated in an Indian celebrity reality TV show Bigg Boss Season 6 from October 2012 till its end in January 2013. The format of the show is based on Dutch-based Endemol's show Big Brother where a group of people live together in a large house, isolated from the outside world. His ex-girlfriend Karishma Kotak was also a contestant at the same show. During the show, he said, "I haven't achieved anything in my life that I tried achieving. In fact, my biggest achievement in life is entering the Bigg Boss show." Niketan, who is a friend of the show host, Salman Khan, managed to survive till the last day and finished as a finalist. In an interview with PTI, he said, "I did not expect at all that I would reach so far. Maybe calm and composed behaviour and no fights brought me till here."
Personal life and other activities
Niketan is an avid car racing buff. He said in an interview with The Times of India, "People love to drive cars which afford them super momentum and often push them to achieve their fastest speed." During his early 20's, he used to be an enthusiastic golfer. He had elaborated about his interest in this game in an interview with The Indian Express, "It doesn't require a genius to guess that my most precious possession is my set of Ping golf clubs. My uncle got it for me from London. I'm sure it will last me for years.". He has widely traveled throughout the world. His personal favorite clothing is T-shirt and regular demin.
He used to be in a relationship with a British Indian model, Karishma Kotak, whom he met in Mumbai in 2005, though their affair lasted for about just two months. He told that he met at her at the TV show Bigg Boss in October 2012 after a few years and commented, "Karishma and me are now on very good terms. She's a very nice soft girl and we're very good friends. She almost cried when I didn't win the show and I'm very grateful to her."
He disclosed, "My life is stuck for the last 12-15 years and want to move on career-wise, although I'm highly educated and I still like to continue studying." Niketan, who monitors global developments very closely, loves to be very social and he commented, "I'm a people's person. Given a choice between people and money, I'd prefer people." In a web-interview with In.com, he said, "My philosophy is that in a man's life, there are five vices - illicit desires, anger, undue attachment, greed and pride. If you can conquer these five vices, you're a super-hero and you're next to God." He further said, "I pray a lot. I've been reading, chanting, and meditating." He also said in an interview with The Asian Age, "I have never been desperate for any job or money. I have done things that excite me or I am passionate about."
- "Models Talk - Niketan Madhok Homme AH 2003/2004 | FashionTV - FTV.com". Fashion TV Men on Youtube. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Stylish Mandira Bedi in Chennai". The Times of India. TNN. 7 June 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Kala, Lehar (13 August 2006). "Model NIKETAN MADHOK turns bartender for one afternoon". The Indian Express. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Bigg Boss 6, Friends and family in Bigg Boss house!". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "I could've ruled Bigg Boss House: Niketan". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- "``All that I need are my Ping golf clubs". The Indian Express. 18 December 1998. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Dhody, Queenie (27 February 2013). "What goes on inside the house". The Asian Age. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Bigg Boss > Contestants > Niketan Madhok". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Hotmale.com". DNA. 15 October 2006. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Super model Niketan Madhok Indrani Das Gupta on Zoom TV's Pa". ZoomDekho on Youtube. 5 March 2007. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Rs 21 lakh Ganesha watch from Bovet!". Rediff.com. 5 August 2004. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "A fashionable blend". The Telegraph. 12 February 2005. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "India fashion show tribute to friendship". Gulf Daily News. 7 December 2005. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "'Rang De Basanti' joins hand with Provogue". IndiaGlitz.com (IANS). 24 December 2005. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Vacheron Constantin exhibits its rarest watches in India". Worldtempus. 21 December 2006. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Baptista, Marcellus (1–15 May 2007). "Scene & Heard". Expresshospitality/Indian Express Newspapers (Mumbai) Limited (Mumbai, India). Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Longines introduces its Admiral Collection for the frequent travelers (Mumbai, India)". Longines Watch Co. Francillon Ltd. 20 November 2008. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Boys’ club". The Indian Express Limited/EXPRESS FEATURES SERVICE. 7 February 2008. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Beer Bath". The Indian Express Limited./EXPRESS FEATURES SERVICE. 24 May 2008. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Sinha, Subhangi (11 September 2008). "Yuvraj in Limelight Again--This time with Sania Mirza". Cricket360. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "The art of innovation". The Times of India. TNN. 21 January 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Tanya Hingorani's arty do in Mumbai". The Times of India. TNN. 8 May 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Where's the party tonite?". The Hindu. 7 June 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Vodafone not planning cut in tariffs for now: CMO". The Economic Times (Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd.). PTI. 27 October 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Father-son duo create a stir". The Times of India. TNN. 15 November 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Basab Paul's b-day celebrating in Mumbai". The Times of India. TNN. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Raajneeti's starry special screening". The Times of India. TNN. 4 June 2010. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Jadhav, Prashant (15 July 2011). "French National Day in Mumbai". DNA. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Shoppers Stop opens at Rohini". Franchise India Holdings Ltd. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "NIKETAN MADHOK - Raymond Model Hunt". Raymond Limited on Youtube. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Bigg Boss: Ex-contestants Carol, Niketan, Aanhcal scorch the ramp!". Daily Bhaskar/DB Corp ltd. 10 February 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Photos - Neetu Chandra, Niketan Madhok and Shibani Dandekar at Jaguar Couture show". ApunKaChoice.com. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Niketan Madhok Biography". Apnicommunity. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Bheegi Bheegi Raaton Mein [ Best Of Leslie Lewis ] Download Mp3". rKmania.com. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "Sony Ericsson". afaqs!. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Limca Fresh Ho Jao Ad featuring Sushma Reddy". Blog at WordPress.com. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "[Full Episode HD]Big Boss Season 6 27th December 2012 Episode 81". surkshetra003 on Youtube. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Bigg Boss 6: Salman Khan is not biased, says Niketan Madhok". IBN Live (Indian TV) [PTI]. 13 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- Dias, Raul (31 July 2006). "Carry on Harry, nothing wrong with speed!". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Karishma Kotak back in Bigg Boss". India Today. 16 November 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Chat - Karishma Kotak - Video Transcript". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd.
- "Bigg Boss > > Videos Gallery > Bigg Boss Live 24X7 : Web Exclusive". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Niketan Madhok.|