|Member of the European Parliament|
|Assumed office |
5 July 2012
|Preceded by||Carl Haglund|
7 August 1945
|Political party|| Finnish|
Swedish People's Party of Finland
Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe
|Alma mater||Helsinki University|
Nils Ole Hilmer Torvalds (born 7 August 1945) is a Finnish politician and Member of the European Parliament (MEP). He is a member of the Swedish People's Party of Finland, part of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe.
Education and experience
Torvalds was a member of the Communist Party of Finland from 1969 to 1982. He studied economics in Moscow and was the editor of the taistoist magazine Arbetartidningen Enhet. Torvalds has later described his communism as "rebellion". Between 1995 and 2004 Torvalds worked as a foreign correspondent for the Finnish Broadcasting Company in Moscow and Washington.
In 2006, Torvalds joined the Swedish People's Party, and the following year he was elected to the post of the third vice chairperson. This upset some party voters due to Torvalds' past. In 2008, he was elected to Helsinki City Council for term 2009–2012.
On 11 June 2017 the Swedish People's Party chose Torvalds as the party candidate for the 2018 presidential election. Some of his campaign themes were education, technology and the environment. Torvalds was the only candidate who openly supported Finland's NATO membership during his campaign. In the election, Torvalds placed last with 1.5 percent of the votes, while the incumbent president Sauli Niinistö went on to secure his second term.
European Parliament member
Torvalds was a candidate for European Parliament election in 2009 on the Swedish People's Party list. He received 14,044 votes which was insufficient for a seat. However, on 5 July 2012, he was installed in the European Parliament, when Carl Haglund left his seat to join the Katainen Cabinet as Minister of Defence. In the 2014 European Parliament election Torvalds received about 29,000 votes and was elected.
As an MEP his positions have included vice-chair of the Fisheries committee (PECH) and member of the committee for Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE). He has served as shadow rapporteur on the circular economy and on the biofuels directive (which became directive 2015/1513) and as rapporteur of the annual report 2018 on the European banking union.
Linux kernel statement
Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel, joked during a LinuxCon keynote in 18 September 2013 that the NSA, creators of SELinux, wanted a backdoor in the kernel. However, later, Linus' father revealed that the NSA had actually asked for the installation of backdoors in Linux.
When my oldest son [Linus Torvalds] was asked the same question: “Has he been approached by the NSA about backdoors?” he said “No”, but at the same time he nodded. Then he was sort of in the legal free. He had given the right answer, [but] everybody understood that the NSA had approached him.
- Ollus, Simon-Erik; Torvalds, Nils (2005). Kaupasta kumppanuuteen : Suomen Venäjä-talousstrategia. Helsinki: Sitra. ISBN 951-37-4519-8.
- Torvalds, Nils (2008). Muodonmuutoksia : Venäjän pitkä vuosisata 1900-2008. Helsinki: Sitra. ISBN 978-951-563-635-5.
- "RKP:n Nils Torvalds tienasi presidenttiehdokkaista eniten". Savon Sanomat. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- Torvalds, 2001
- "Nils Torvalds: "Nuorena olisi voinut seurata jyrkkää ajatuksenkulkua"" (in Finnish). Kauppalehti.
- Seppänen, Timo (January 10, 2018). "Henkilökuvassa Nils Torvalds:Ankkalammikon armahtama toisinajattelija on itsetietoinen intellektuelli". Yle Uutiset (in Finnish). Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Yksi presidenttiehdokkaista kielitaidossa ylitse muiden - IS: tulee toimeen viidellä kielellä". Verkkouutiset.
- Sfp valde orförande och viceordförande, energipolitiska ställningstagandet remitterades Archived 2007-06-13 at the Wayback Machine (SFP 10.06.2007)
- "Kaupunginvaltuuston puoluejakauma kaudella 2009–2012". hel.fi. Archived from the original on 2009-09-16. Retrieved 2017-09-16.
- "RKP:n presidenttiehdokkaaksi valittiin europarlamentaarikko Nils Torvalds" (in Finnish). Yle. 13 June 2017. Retrieved 2017-06-17.
- Jäntti, Mari (December 19, 2017). "Nils Torvalds liputtaa Natoa – "Siinä vaiheessa kun se kriisi iskee, on liian myöhäistä"". Yle Uutiset (in Finnish). Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Presidentinvaali 2018, 1. vaali: Ehdokkaiden äänet" (in Finnish). Ministry of Justice. 28 January 2018. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "EUROPARLAMENTTIVAALIT 7.6.2009 - Tulos - Koko maa" (in Finnish). vaalit.fi (the Official Results by the Ministry of Justice). Archived from the original on 2009-06-12. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- "Nils Torvalds". European Parliament. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Nils Torvalds: A pro-NATO liberal swimming against the tide". Yle Uutiset. December 14, 2017. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Recommendation for second reading on the Council position at first reading with a view to the adoption of a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 98/70/EC relating to the quality of petrol and diesel fuels and amending Directive 2009/28/EC on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources".
- "Directive (EU) 2015/1513 amending Directive 98/70/EC relating to the quality of petrol and diesel fuels and amending Directive 2009/28/EC on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources". 2015-09-09.
- "Report on Banking Union – annual report 2018 (2018/2100(INI))". 2018-12-03.
- "Torvalds röstade nej till upphovsdirektivet: förslaget är dåligt och obalanserat!" (in Swedish). 2019-03-26.
- "TechWeekEurope: Linus Torvalds Jokes The NSA Wanted A Backdoor In Linux". Linux Foundation. 2013-09-19. Archived from the original on 2015-09-16. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- Engström, Christian (2013-11-17). "NSA Asked Linus Torvalds To Install Backdoors Into GNU / Linux". Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs, Hearings". 2014-07-01.
- Video, programme.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nils Torvalds.|