Northeast Branch Anacostia River
|Northeast Branch Anacostia River|
|- left||Brier Ditch|
|Cities||Beltsville, Greenbelt, College Park, Hyattsville|
|Secondary source||Indian Creek|
|Source confluence||College Park|
|Length||3 mi (5 km)|
|Basin||75.6 sq mi (196 km2)|
|Topo map||USGS Washington East|
Northeast Branch Anacostia River is a 3.2-mile-long (5.1 km) free-flowing stream in Prince George's County, Maryland. It is a tributary of the Anacostia River, which flows to the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay.
The headwaters of the Northeast Branch are at the confluence of Indian Creek and Paint Branch, located on the eastern edge of the community of College Park. The stream flows southward for about 3 miles (5 km) to its confluence with the Northwest Branch near Bladensburg to form the mainstem of the Anacostia.
The Northeast Branch watershed in Prince George's County includes portions of the communities of Beltsville, Greenbelt, College Park, New Carrollton, Riverdale Park, Hyattsville, Berwyn Heights and Edmonston. Portions of the Paint Branch and Little Paint Branch tributaries also drain the Cloverly, Colesville, Fairland, White Oak and Hillandale communities in Montgomery County. Major institutions in the watershed include the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, University of Maryland, College Park and Greenbelt Park. The total watershed area, including tributaries, is 75.6 square miles (196 km2), with a resident population of about 246,530.
Northeast Branch is located in the Atlantic coastal plain geologic region.
The total stream channel length of Northeast Branch and all tributaries is 12.1 miles (19.5 km).:20
- Brier Ditch
- Indian Creek
- Little Paint Branch
- Paint Branch
- Still Creek
- Upper Beaverdam Creek
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed August 15, 2011
- Anacostia Watershed Restoration Partnership. "Northeast Branch." Accessed 2009-12-21.
- Anacostia Watershed Restoration Partnership (2008). "Anacostia River Watershed Restoration Plan: Interim Report Framework, September 2007–November 2008." Report to Congress.
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Annapolis, MD (2005). "Characterization of the Anacostia River Watershed in Prince George’s County, Maryland."
- Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection (MCDEP), Rockville, MD (1997). "Little Paint Branch Watershed Study."
- MCDEP (1998). "Countywide Stream Protection Strategy: Paint Branch Watershed."