Park Avenue House
Royal Palm Hotel
View from the southeast
|Location||2305 Park Avenue
|Part of||Park Avenue Historic District (#97000396)|
|NRHP Reference #||96000812|
|Added to NRHP||July 25, 1996|
|Designated CP||May 13, 1997|
The Park Avenue House is a high rise residential building located at 2305 Park Avenue in the Park Avenue Historic District in Downtown Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. It should not be confused with the nearby Park Avenue Hotel, which was demolished in 2015.
Formerly known as the Royal Palm, it is one of three hotels located on Park Avenue and designed by Louis Kamper for Lew Tuller; the other two are the Eddystone at 100 Sproat St. and the Park Avenue Hotel at 2643 Park Avenue (demolished in 2015). All three are on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Royal Palm, confusingly, took the name of the Park Avenue Hotel at some point. It is the oldest hotel in the downtown Detroit area, and operated continuously as a hotel until its conversion to a high-rise residential building named the Park Avenue House.
The Royal Palm is a thirteen-story hotel with Italian Renaissance details; the building features unusual packeted bay windows. It is located within the Park Avenue Historic District; the entrance faces Park Avenue. Although the building has undergone some alterations, it is generally in excellent condition. The Town Pump Tavern is located on the ground floor of the building.
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Eric J. Hill, John Gallagher, American Institute of Architects Detroit Chapter, AIA Detroit, Wayne State University Press, 2002, ISBN 0-8143-3120-3, ISBN 978-0-8143-3120-0, p. 60
- Royal Palm Hotel from the State of Michigan
- "Commission OKs historic hotel demolition for Detroit Red Wings hockey arena". Crain's Detroit Business. June 11, 2015. Retrieved July 11, 2015.
- Park Avenue Hotel from Skyscraper.com
- Royal Palm Hotel from the city of Detroit
- Town Pump Tavern from Detroit CitySearch