Paul Williams (bishop)
|Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham|
|Other posts||Bishop of Kensington (2009–2015)|
|Ordination||1992 (deacon); 1993 (priest)|
by David Hope (deacon)
|Consecration||25 March 2009|
by Rowan Williams
|Born||16 January 1968|
Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, United Kingdom
|Residence||Bishop's Manor, Southwell|
|Alma mater||Grey College, Durham|
Paul Gavin Williams (born 16 January 1968) is a Church of England bishop. Since May 2015, he has been the Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham; from 2009 to 2015, he was the Bishop of Kensington, an area bishop in the Diocese of London.
Williams was born to Bryan and Heather Williams on 16 January 1968 in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, England. He was educated in Somerset at Court Fields Community School, a comprehensive school in Wellington, and at Richard Huish College, a sixth-form college in Taunton. He studied theology at Grey College, Durham, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1989. He trained for ordination at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford, an evangelical Anglican theological college.
Williams was made a deacon at Petertide 1992 (28 June) by David Hope, Bishop of London, at St Paul's Cathedral and ordained a priest in 1993. He was a curate at St James and St Matthew's Muswell Hill (1992–1995) and then at Christ Church, Clifton (1995–1999) before becoming the rector of St James's Gerrards Cross (1999–2009).
Williams was ordained (consecrated) to the episcopate on 25 March 2009 by Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, at St Paul's Cathedral, London. From 2009 to 2015, he was the Bishop of Kensington, an area bishop in the Diocese of London. On 11 May 2015, Williams' canonical election as Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham was confirmed. On 27 June, he was enthroned during an inauguration service at Southwell Minster.
Williams married in 1997 and they have three children.
- The Reverend Paul Williams (1993–2007)
- The Reverend Canon Paul Williams (2007–2009)
- The Right Reverend Paul Williams (2009–present)
- "Paul Gavin Williams". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Williams, Paul Gavin. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Paul Gavin Williams". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Ordinations at Petertide (Archived; subscription only)". Church Times (#6751). 3 July 1992. p. 4. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 3 July 2017. (Subscription required (help)).
- Consecration details
- "Appointments in the clergy", Daily Telegraph, 20 December 2008, p. 26.
- Official notification of appointment Archived 2009-12-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham — "Election of new Bishop of Southwell & Nottingham confirmed", Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham website, accessed 24 May 2015.
- Page, Jemma (27 June 2015). "New Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham officially inaugurated". Nottingham Post.
- Diocesan Profile Archived 2012-02-05 at the Wayback Machine
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Kensington
| Bishop of Southwell & Nottingham
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|