|Industry||Video game industry|
|Fate||Merged into Firaxis Games|
|Defunct||March 7, 2006|
|Headquarters||Fenton, Missouri, U.S.|
|Franz Felsl (creative director)|
PopTop Software, Inc. was an American video game developer based in Fenton, Missouri. The company was founded by video game programmer and designer Phil Steinmeyer in 1993. On July 24, 2000, Take-Two Interactive announced that they had acquired PopTop Software. The deal saw a transaction of 559,100 shares in Take-Two Interactive, valued at an estimated US$5.8 million. On January 25, 2005, Take-Two Interactive announced the opening of publishing label 2K Games, which would henceforth manage their development studios, including PopTop Software.
Steinmeyer left PopTop Software in late 2004 and founded New Crayon Games in May 2005, which developed Bonnie's Bookstore. On March 7, 2006, it was announced that all of PopTop Software's operations had been merged into Firaxis Games, another 2K Games studio.
|1998||Railroad Tycoon II||Classic Mac OS, Linux, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation||Gathering of Developers, Take-Two Interactive|
|2001||Tropico||Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows||Gathering of Developers|
|2003||Railroad Tycoon 3||Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows||Gathering of Developers|
|2005||Shattered Union||Microsoft Windows, Xbox||2K Games|
- jdkmedia (May 4, 2012). "PopTop Software Announces Tropico". GameZone. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- IGN Staff (July 24, 2000). "Take 2 Acquires PopTop". IGN. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- Parker, Sam (July 24, 2000). "Take Two Acquires Pop Top". GameSpot. Retrieved February 10, 2018.
- Rogers, Dan Lee (March 3, 2004). "The End Game: How Top Developers Sold Their Studios - Part One". Gamasutra. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- Jenkins, David (January 25, 2005). "Take-Two Acquires Visual Concepts, Announces 2K Games Brand". Gamasutra. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- Steinmeyer, Phil. "About". New Crayon Games. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- Thorsen, Tor (March 7, 2006). "PopTop folded into Firaxis?". GameSpot. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
|This United States video game corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|