|Industry||Business Intelligence, Business Discovery, Business Analysis, Software Company|
|Headquarters||King of Prussia, Pennsylvania|
|Mike Capone, CEO|
Drew Clarke, SVP Office of Strategy Management
Mike Potter, CTO
Rick Jackson, CMO
Debbie Lofton, Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary
Chris Jones, EVP Worldwide Sales
Deborah Snow, Chief People Officer
Roberto Sigona, Chief Customer Officer
Dennis Johnson, CFO
|Products||QlikView, Qlik Sense, Expressor, NPrinting|
|Revenue||US$665.3 million (2017) |
Number of employees
|2,500 (October, 2015)|
Qlik (formerly known as Qliktech) is a software company founded in 1993 in Lund, Sweden and now based in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, United States whose main products are QlikView and Qlik Sense, both software for business intelligence and data visualization.
The company was founded in Lund, Sweden in 1993, by the late Bjorn Berg and Staffan Gestrelius. Its Swedish headquarters are still in Lund. The company’s first product, QuikView (now called QlikView), was built to enable users to retrieve detailed data analysis from various systems. In 1993, Måns Hultman became CEO in 2000 and Lars Björk became CFO.
The first version of QlikView came out in 1994, and a patent application was made in 1995. QUIK, in the original name of the product, stood for Quality, Understanding, Interaction, and Knowledge.
QlikView 2 came out in 1996 and QlikView 3 in 1997. In 1998, the company received funding from Swedish investors Handelsbanken and Industrifonden; and, in 1999, QlikView 4 was in use by a number of businesses.
The company focused on the area of Business Intelligence (BI), growing from 35 employees in 1999 to 70 in 2003.
In 2004, Qlik decided to expand internationally and moved the company headquarters to the U.S., while development stayed in Lund. That year, Qlik secured $12.5 million in venture capital funding from equity firms Accel Partners and Jerusalem Venture Partners (JVP).
In 2012, Forbes listed Qlik as one of America’s top three fastest-growing tech companies, placing it in the same rank as Apple and LinkedIn. In 2013, the company opened an office in Perth, Australia, due to its large consumer base in that country.
In 2016, private equity firms Bain Capital, Permira, and Thoma Bravo submitted offers to buy Qlik. In June, Qlik announced that it agreed to sell itself to Thoma Bravo for about $3 billion.
In 2017, Qlik started working with Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-based Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health. The two worked together to use data to identify situations where healthcare officials could prescribe fewer opioids, helping to combat the opioid epidemic in Philadelphia.
In 2018, Qlik was named Gartner’s Customers’ Choice for Best Business Intelligence and Analytics Software.
Qlik’s Attunity division partners with providers and organizations like AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, Snowflake, Databricks, and Confluent.
Qlik’s Associative Engine lets users combine a number of data sources so that associations and connections can be formed across the data. The two main products QlikView and Qlik Sense serve different purposes running on the same engine. In QlikView, the user is pursuing their day-to-day tasks, analyzing data with a slightly configurable dashboard, most of the data is somehow "pre-canned". On the other hand, Qlik Sense allows associating different data sources and fully configuring the visualizations, allowing to follow an individual discovery path through the data.
- Qlik Sense: A business intelligence (BI) and visual analytics platform.
- QlikView: Qlik’s first analytics product. It is a dashboard and analysis product.
- Qlik Analytics Platform: This product offers direct access to Qlik’s Associative data engine through open and standard APIs.
- Qlik Data Catalyst: This is an enterprise data management product.
- Qlik Core: This is an analytics development platform built around Qlik’s Associative engine and company-authored open source libraries.
Data literacy project
Qlik launched the Data Literacy Project in October 2018 with the help of founding partners Accenture, Cognizant, Experian, Pluralsight, the Chartered Institute of Marketing, and Data to the People, with the goal of fighting data illiteracy on a global scale.
In May 2019, Qlik developed a certification that allowed individuals to document and demonstrate data literacy skills, and the certification was introduced and made available on the Data Literacy Project.
- "Qlik Profile". Retrieved October 18, 2019.
- "JVP makes 4,000% return on QlikTech". Globes (in Hebrew). Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- "Meet our Mentors – Staffan Gestrelius, co-founder of Qliktech - Ideon Science Park | Nordic Life Science Insight". www.nlsinsight.com. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- "The Success Stories You Probably Haven't Heard Of: Qlik". Øresund Startups. 2014-04-27. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- "Success Stories". Industrifonden. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- "Google Translate". translate.google.com. Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- Bourne, James (2019-09-16). "Elif Tutuk, Qlik: On securing data literacy and the evolution of AI with BI". AI News. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- "Qlik". Industrifonden. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- JVP makes 4,000% return on QlikTech Archived December 3, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- "Lars Björk Is The Big Winner of the Qlik Takeover - Swedish Startup Space" (in Swedish). Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "Qlik Announces CEO Transition". Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "JVP Venture Capital". About. 2011-02-05.
- Dinham, Peter. "QlikTech new appointment, new WA office". ITWire.
- QlikTech new appointment, new WA office
- DZG (2015-08-24). "Qlik opens first Canadian R&D office in Kanata". KRP Properties. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "NPrinting – What it is and why you will like it - Functionalities and Benefits of Qlik NPrinting 17". element61. 2016-04-29. Retrieved 2019-11-01.
- "Lars Björk Is The Big Winner of the Qlik Takeover - Swedish Startup Space". swedishstartupspace.com (in Swedish). Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "Qlik Tech Said to Draw Bids From Thoma Bravo, Bain, Permira". 2019-07-04. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "Thoma Bravo to buy analytics firm Qlik in $3 billion deal". Reuters. 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- "Qlik Announces CEO Transition". www.businesswire.com. 2017-10-11. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- Macaulay, Tom. "Qlik touts industry's only end-to-end data platform after Attunity buy". ComputerworldUK. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- Dietsche, Erin (2017-06-15). "Jefferson Health utilizes Qlik for analytics support". MedCity News. Retrieved 2019-11-05.
- "How Data Analytics Has Curbed the Prescription of Opioids in Philly". Philadelphia Magazine. 2019-07-17. Retrieved 2019-11-05.
- Olavsrud, Thor (2019-03-19). "Culture key to data-driven transformation at Jefferson Health". CIO. Retrieved 2019-11-05.
- Times, Jen A. Miller Twitter Jen A. Miller is author of Running: A. Love Story Her work has appeared in The New York; Post, Washington; Dive, C. I. O.; Dive, Supply Chain; Oakley, Runner's World She lives in N. J. with her dog Annie. "How Predictive Analytics in Healthcare Is Changing Hospitals". Technology Solutions That Drive Healthcare. Retrieved 2019-11-05.
- Chanthadavong, Aimee. "Sydney healthcare clinicians turn to data analytics to improve back pain treatments". ZDNet. Retrieved 2019-11-05.
- Inc, Gartner. "Best Business Intelligence and Analytics Software of 2018 as Reviewed by Customers". Gartner. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- Brust, Andrew. "Qlik to Acquire Attunity for $560M". ZDNet. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "Qlik's CrunchBot acquisition adds AI chatbot to analytics". SearchBusinessAnalytics. Retrieved 2019-11-01.
- "Qlik(Attunity) named Challenger in Magic Quadrant for Data Integration". itbrief.com.au. Retrieved 2019-10-23.
- "Qlik Research head talks Associative Engine, NLP and Data Swarm". SearchBusinessAnalytics. Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- "Associative Data Modeling Demystified: Part V - DZone Big Data". dzone.com. Retrieved 2019-08-15.
- "Blog - QlikView vs. Qlik Sense". Prima Consulting UK.
- "Qlik Sense". BI Survey. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "Qlik Sense". BI Survey. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- "Qlik Sense Server vs. Qlik Analytics Platform". Analytics8. 2016-06-03. Retrieved 2019-09-06.
- "Qlik Data Catalyst™ - Analytical data pre-processing "on-demand" for QlikView & Qlik Sense". www.informatec.com. Retrieved 2019-09-06.
- Kokenes, Speros. "Qlik Core Jump Start". www.axisgroup.com. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- Henschen, Doug. "Qlik hits reset button, rolls out new cloud, AI, and developer capabilities". ZDNet. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- Murphy, Ian (2019-03-18). "Qlik boosts Data Literacy Project course library -". Enterprise Times. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- "Qlik debuts free data literacy certification". SearchBusinessAnalytics. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- "Tackling the corporate data literacy shortfall in 2019". diginomica. 2018-12-31. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- "The Data Literacy Project Partners with Qlik to Launch World-First Comprehensive Certification for Data Literacy". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2019-10-09.
- "- The Data Literacy Project Partners with Qlik to Launch World-First Comprehensive Certification for Data Literacy -". Benzinga. Retrieved 2019-10-09.