Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle
|Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle|
|Platform(s)||Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit, ZX Spectrum|
|Genre(s)||Shoot 'em up|
Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle is a shoot 'em up video game published by Parker Brothers in 1983 for the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, and Atari 8-bit family. In 1985, it was published by Sinclair Research as part of a software pack bundled with ZX Spectrum+. It was one of the earliest Star Wars-related video games, following Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back in 1982 and alongside Atari's 1983 Star Wars arcade game. It was the first video game based on Return of the Jedi.
In the game, the player controls the Millennium Falcon with the aim of destroying the second Death Star. The game is split into two stages. In the first, the player must shoot enemy TIE fighters while waiting for an opportunity to pass through an energy shield.
In the second stage, the player must shoot at parts of the Death Star until there is a clear path to the reactor. Once the reactor has been destroyed, the player must survive the resultant explosion.
Once these objectives are completed, the game begins again in a new round with greater difficulty.
The cover art depicts the Millennium Falcon in flight away from the partially constructed Death Star, pursued by four TIE interceptors. It was produced by John Berkey, the noted science fiction artist who designed some of the earliest poster art for the original 1977 film, Star Wars.
- Return of the Jedi, a 1984 arcade game from Atari
- "News - The force is going soft". Sinclair User. No. 36. EMAP. March 1985. p. 9. Retrieved 15 May 2021.
- Elovaara, Mika (2013). Fan Phenomena: Star Wars. Intellect Books. ISBN 9781783200221. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- "Star Wars Art – John Berkey Art". johnberkeyart.com. Archived from the original on 19 June 2017. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle at Atari Mania (Atari 2600 version)
- Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle at Atari Mania (Atari 8-bit family version)
- Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle at SpectrumComputing.co.uk