Star Wars: Force Arena
|Star Wars: Force Arena|
|Publisher(s)||Netmarble Games, Lucasfilm|
|Release||January 12, 2017 (shut down: January 12,2019)|
Star Wars: Force Arena was a 2017 Star Wars-themed player versus player real-time strategy mobile game from Netmarble Games and Lucasfilm, involving characters and military units that appeared in all major Star Wars film installments released before 2019.
Early versions of Force Arena were set in the Rebellion era of the Star Wars storyline, until an update on August 14, 2017 added content from the Clone Wars era and a November 9, 2017 update included the New Republic era. Players control customized squads of characters and vehicles in a card-powered multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) environment in the vein of Clash Royale, where the goal is to destroy the enemy squad's automatic defense turrets and shield generator to open their base to an airstrike. The myriad of playable squad leaders and unique assistants not only include characters that appear in the films, but also characters who appear in spin-off films, TV series, and Marvel-published comic books, like Rogue One, Star Wars Rebels and Star Wars: Princess Leia, as well as Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars sequel trilogy.
On December 19, 2018, it was announced that the game would be shutting down on March 18, 2019. The game was no longer available for download after January 17, 2019,  and the game shut down as scheduled.
Every squad is headed by a leader character, which has a special ability that the player can reuse at will after a certain amount of time passes, as well as some passive abilities. Many leaders also each have a unique counterpart, which may be a side character or even a spacecraft strafing run, which can only be used with the character with whom they are paired. When a leader is defeated, they will respawn near the shield generator after some time passes, during which the player is unable to deploy any cards. The respawn time penalty also increases for each subsequent defeat, up to a maximum of ten seconds.
- Minotti, Mike (November 17, 2016). "Star Wars: Force Arena for mobile sure looks like a MOBA". VentureBeat. Retrieved July 26, 2017.
- Brooks, Dan (January 12, 2017). "Dream Teams: How Star Wars: Force Arena Puts You in Control of the Galaxy's Greatest". StarWars.com. Retrieved July 26, 2017.
- Shaul, Brandy (January 12, 2017). "Netmarble Launches Star Wars: Force Arena on iOS, Android". AdWeek. Retrieved July 26, 2017.
- Mayhew, Ash (August 17, 2017). "Star Wars: Force Arena just got 16 new iconic characters". DroidGamers. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- Compendio, Chris (November 9, 2017). "Kylo Ren and Rey Finally Join Mobile Game Star Wars: Force Arena". Screen Rant. Retrieved November 22, 2017.
- "Star Wars: Force Arena". Netmarble Games. Retrieved July 26, 2017 – via StarWarsForceArena.com.
- Acebedo, Bayani Miguel (19 December 2018). "Star Wars: Force Arena is Shutting Down". Epicstream. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "Star Wars: Force Arena for iPhone/iPad Reviews". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved 2021-10-05.
- Slater, Harry (12 January 2017). "Star Wars: Force Arena review - A MOBA from a galaxy far, far away". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 5 October 2021.