Sydney, New South Wales
Rainbow in Neptune Park
|Population||1,368 (2011 census)|
|Location||23 km (14 mi) south-west of Sydney CBD|
|State electorate(s)||East Hills|
Revesby Heights, a suburb of local government area Canterbury-Bankstown Council, is 23 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. It is a part of the South-western Sydney region.
Revesby was named in 1913 in honour of Sir Joseph Banks (1743–1820), the famous botanist who sailed with Captain James Cook on the Endeavour, when he discovered the east coast of Australia in 1770. Banks had inherited his father’s estate of Revesby Abbey, in Lincolnshire England, so he was known as the Squire of Revesby. He is also commemorated in the Sir Joseph Banks High School in Turvey Street.
Revesby Heights was known as Hero's Hill in recognition of returned service men who obtained affordable government housing in the area. The Hero's Hill servicemans club was founded soon after these returned service men settled in the area after World War II. This club is now known as Revesby Heights Ex-Servicemen's Club. This club ceased trading in June 2013.
Sport and recreation
Revesby Heights Junior Rugby League Football Club, part of the Canterbury Bankstown District Junior Rugby League, is a rugby league club that operates from Neptune Park. Known locally as "Heighties", the club has supplied many first grade and representative players to the National Rugby League over its 40-year history. For the 2007 season the club has fielded 12 Junior and one Senior U/15s team. The club is the only one in the district to have its own organised cheerleading squad made up of young girls and boys from the area.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Revesby Heights (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- http://www.bankstowncity.nsw.gov.au/ Bankstown Council Website
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollon, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8, page 221
- http://www.heroshill.com.au/ Revesby Heights Ex-Servicemen's Club
- http://dlsrevesby.catholic.edu.au/ De La Salle College, Revesby Heights
- http://www.heighties.com/ Revesby Heights JRLFC website