Siffredi in January 2010 at the AVN Awards in Las Vegas
|Born||Rocco Antonio Tano
4 May 1964
|Other names||Rocco Lorenz
Robbo Siffredi of Beverley
The Italian Stallion
It's Only The Smellz
|Height||6 ft 1.5 in (1.87 m)|
|Spouse(s)||Rosa Caracciolo (m. 1993)|
|Children||Lorenzo (b. 1996)
Leonardo (b. 1999)
|No. of adult films||696 as actor
330 as director
He took his stage name from the character Roch Siffredi played by Alain Delon in the French gangster film Borsalino (1970). Known as the "Italian Stallion", Siffredi has starred in more than 1,300 pornographic films.
Siffredi met porn actor Gabriel Pontello in a French sex club in 1984 and was introduced to producer Marc Dorcel and director Michel Ricaud, who cast him in his first pornographic role, Attention fillettes... (Attention little girls...) in 1987, in which he performed anal sex. Siffredi then stepped away from porn and worked as a fashion model, but returned to the business after two years with the help of porn actress Teresa Orlowski. Siffredi went on to perform in both plot-based and gonzo-style pornography, with styles of sex ranging from ordinary to extreme. However, it was Siffredi's performances involving anal sex and analingus, as well as rough sex and his psychological intensity and athleticism, which earned him recognition and ultimately a cult following. Through collaboration with John Stagliano's Evil Angel studio and then his own Budapest-based Rocco Siffredi Produzioni as both a performer and director, Siffredi became one of the most powerful and recognizable personalities in pornography. "Rocco has far more power in this industry than any actress", Stagliano commented in 2001. Siffredi has credited Stagliano with being his mentor through all 30 years of his career.
In June 2004, Siffredi declared that he would retire from performing in porn for the sake of his children, and instead focus on direction and production. "My children are growing up", he said, "and I can no longer just say 'Dad is going to work to make money for the family'. They want to know more". Regarding Siffredi's long career, Axel Braun commented, "The problem is that he's been trying for years to find an 'heir to the throne', but it's no easy task. He thought he found him in Nacho Vidal, but then Nacho went his own way". Siffredi, while continuing to direct, was largely absent as an on-screen performer for nearly five years. However, sexual frustration and disappointment as a director with his male talent and the state of the porn industry overall led Siffredi to return as a performer in 2009. Despite renewed success, Siffredi announced his retirement once again in 2015, shortly after appearing on the Italian reality television show L'isola dei famosi (Island of the Famous) which saw him stranded naked and alone on a beach for one week. He was reported to have told a friend, "I never felt so naked as I did then. I was all alone and it gave me a lot of time to think about what is important. And I realised I don't want to lose my wife". He later told the press, "[M]ore than a year ago I started to get uncomfortable in the front of the camera... [S]omething inside of me has changed". However, he he has continued performing sex in titles such as Rocco One on One and Rocco's Intimate Castings.
Style of pornography
Speaking of his female partners, Siffredi says, "I want to see emotion... fear... excitement... the eyes going up from being surprised".
In mainstream media
Siffredi is one of a few porn actors to enjoy crossover appeal and success with respect to other segments of the adult film industry, as well as some in mainstream media.
In 1999, he appeared in the controversial Catherine Breillat film Romance. His performance in this role was followed by a part specifically written for him by the same director in her 2003 film Anatomie de L'enfer (Anatomy of Hell), in which he played a gay man who became sexually involved with a woman. Both films featured unsimulated sexual scenes involving Siffredi, although it is disputed whether he actually had intercourse with co-star Caroline Ducey in Romance (she said no, Siffredi said yes). In 2012, he made a cameo as himself in the successful French comedy Porn in the Hood.
Siffredi is also visible in non-pornographic roles on Italian television, including television commercials for Amica Chips, a snack food, which have spawned considerable controversy and have at one point been taken off the air, a Cielo show, Ci pensa Rocco, and a La 5 docu-reality series, Casa Siffredi.
Italian band Elio e Le Storie Tese dedicated in 1997 to Siffredi a song and a video, "Rocco e Le Storie Tese". Siffredi himself directed the video also appearing in it. Siffredi also duetted with the band in the song "Un bacio piccolissimo" at the 63rd edition of the Sanremo Music Festival.
Siffredi is married to Rosa Caracciolo (born Rózsa Tassi), a Hungarian model whom he met in 1993 in Cannes and with whom he performed two years later in Tarzan X: Shame of Jane. Together they have two sons, Lorenzo and Leonardo. Upon his decision to return to on-screen pornographic performance in 2009, Siffredi recounted, "I spoke with my wife and she said it's my problem only, it doesn't belong to her and the boys. And she said, 'You decided to stop; we never asked you. So if you want to go back, just go back". However, after a long period of intensive performing, with much time away from his home in Italy, Siffredi announced his retirement again in 2015 for the sake of his marriage. "Today I can see, my wife, she is the top priority", he said in a press statement. "She deserves to have what she wanted from day one, to be with only me without sharing with other girls". Caracciolo told the press, "I know him very well and I love him for who and what he is. Let's see what the new version of him will be like".
Siffredi discussed his personal life on the reality television show L'isola dei famosi (Island of the Famous). Speaking of his sexuality, Siffredi discussed his sex addiction as emerging from "some kind of devil in me" and spoke of himself, "[It] sometimes sends me out of my mind". He discussed asking God for intervention from the spirit of his mother, whose photograph he always carries.
|1991||Best Group Sex Scene – Video||Buttman's Ultimate Workout||Alexandra Quinn and Sunny McKay|
|1992||Best Couples Sex Scene – Video||Buttman's European Vacation||Silver|
|Best Group Sex Scene – Video||Silver and Zara Whites|
|1993||Male Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|1994||Best Group Sex Scene – Film||New Wave Hookers 3||Crystal Wilder, Francesca Le, Jon Dough, Lacy Rose and Tiffany Million|
|1995||Best Anal Sex Scene – Video||Bend Over Brazilian Babes 2||Felipé, Jessica and Sara|
|1996||Male Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|Best Couples Sex Scene – Video||Buttman's Big Tit Adventure 3||Debbie Dee|
|1997||Best Couples Sex Scene – Film||Jenna Loves Rocco||Jenna Jameson|
|Best Group Sex Scene – Video||Buttman's Bend Over Babes 4||Christi Lake, John Stagliano and Ruby|
|Best Anal Sex Scene – Video||Danielle Louise Kelson and Laura Turner|
|1998||Best Couples Sex Scene||Buda||Ursula Moore|
|2000||Best Sex Scene in a Foreign Release||When Rocco Meats Kelly 2: In Barcelona||Alba Dea Monte, Kelly and Nacho Vidal|
|2002||Best Couples Sex Scene – Video||Rocco's Way to Love||Kelly Stafford|
|AVN Hall of Fame||N/A||N/A|
|2003||Male Foreign Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|Best Anal Sex Scene – Film||Fashionistas||Kate Frost|
|Best Oral Sex Scene – Film||Belladonna|
|Best Group Sex Scene – Film||Friday, Sharon Wild and Taylor St. Claire|
|Best Director – Video||The Ass Collector||N/A|
|Best Sex Scene in a Foreign-Shot Production||Henrietta, Karib, Katalin, Monik, Nikita, Niky, Petra Short, Sheila Scott, Stella Virgin and Veronica B. Cindy|
|2005||Best Sex Scene in a Foreign-Shot Production||Rocco Ravishes Russia||N/A|
|2006||Best Director – Foreign Release||Who Fucked Rocco?||N/A|
|2007||Best Group Sex Scene – Video||Fashionistas Safado: The Challenge||Adrianna Nicole, Belladonna, Caroline Pierce, Chris Charming, Christian XXX, Erik Everhard, Flower Tucci, Gianna Michaels, Jean Val Jean, Jenna Haze, Jewell Marceau, Lea Baren, Marie Luv, Melissa Lauren, Mr. Pete, Nicole Sheridan, Sandra Romain, Sasha Grey and Voodoo|
|2008||Best Group Sex Scene – Video||Fashionistas Safado: Berlin||Annette Schwarz, Judith Fox, Sintia Stone and Vanessa Hill|
|Best Three-Way Sex Scene||Katsuni and Melissa Lauren|
|2009||Male Foreign Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|2011||Male Foreign Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|2012||Male Foreign Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|2013||Best Sex Scene in a Foreign-Shot Production||Aliz Loves Rocco||Bibi Noel and Mira|
|Male Foreign Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|Most Outrageous Sex Scene||Voracious: The First Season||Brooklyn Lee|
|2014||Male Foreign Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|2015||Best Sex Scene in a Foreign-Shot Production||Rocco's Perfect Slaves 2||Henessy and Samantha Bentley|
|Male Foreign Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|1996||Best European Actor|
|1997||Best European Actor|
|2002||Best Actor||Ass Collector||N/A|
|2004||Special Jury Award||N/A||N/A|
|2005||Most Original Sex Scene||Who Fucked Rocco?||Venus|
|2007||Best Actor||Fashionistas Safado||N/A|
|Most Original Sex Sequence||Belladonna, Gianna Michaels, Jean Val Jean, Jenna Haze, Melissa Lauren and Sandra Romain|
|1997||Best Actor (Europe)|
|2000||Best Actor (European)|
|2003||Best Actor (Europe)|
|2011||Foreign Male Performer of the Year|
|2015||Foreign Male Performer of the Year|
|2016||Foreign Director of the Year|
|2017||Foreign Director of the Year|
|Foreign Non-Feature Release of the Year|
|1993||Male Performer of the Year||N/A||N/A|
|Best Couples Sex Scene||Chameleons: Not The Sequel||Ashlyn Gere|
|Best Anal Sex Scene||Face Dance II||Sierra|
|1994||Best Couples Scene||New Wave Hookers 3||Crystal Wilder|
|1995||Best Group Scene||Buttman's British Moderately Big Tit Adventure||Janey Lamb, Joey Silvera and Stephanie Hart-Rogers|
|1996||Best Male-Female Couple Scene||Kink||Careena Collins|
|2000||Best Anal or D.P. Sex Scene||When Rocco Meats Kelly 2||Alba Dea Monte, Kelly and Nacho Vidal|
|2001||XRCO Hall of Fame||N/A||N/A|
|2003||Best Group Sex Scene||Fashionistas||Friday, Sharon Wild and Taylor St. Claire|
|Best Male/Female Sex Scene||Taylor St. Claire|
|2007||Best On-Screen Chemistry||Fashionistas Safado: The Challenge||Gianna Michaels and Jenna Haze|
References in popular culture
- Siffredi is referenced in the Hold Steady song "Most People Are DJs" from 2004's Almost Killed Me.
- The Polish punk rock band Anti Dread wrote the song "Roko na Sterydach" ("Rocco on Steroids") about Siffredi.
- He is also referred by famous Italian rock band Elio e Le Storie Tese, whose music is inspired to the style of Frank Zappa. Sergio Conforti (band's vocals, keyboards, electronic drums, piano), ironizing in his reference, adopted the stage name of Rocco Tanica.
- Mark Holcomb and Matt Halpern, of progressive metal band Periphery, are avid fans of Siffredi's work and quote his famous lines on-stage.
- Siffredi is referenced in the songs "Kundel Bury" and "Wina Satana" from the band Arka Satana.
- He is also referenced in the song "Padre Siffredi" from Danish hardcore band Barcode in the album Showdown (1995), including lyrics like "Size does matter, the bigger the badder".
- Underground cult filmmaker Carlos Atanes stated that Stanley Kubrick, David Lean and Rocco Siffredi were his main film references and he also said about Siffredi's work that "Agnes' scene in Rocco invades Poland or Gabriella Kerez' pool scene from True Anal Stories 9 are deeper than any Theo Angelopoulos' movie and show us the human inside more accurately than any Ingmar Bergman’s film".
- In French crime drama Braquo (season 2, episode 6), Internal Affairs Inspector Roland Vogel made a joke to a prostitute that his "tool" would make Rocco Siffredi "hide in shame".
- Siffredi is the male actor in the "It's Only Smellz" video that has become a popular meme.
- United Kingdom band The Singing Pictures released a secret track named "Siffredi it" in reference to his porn acting style.
- Siffredi is referenced in the song "Rocco Siffredi" by the German rapper SSIO.
- D'Agostino, Patrizia. Rocco Siffredi: il mito di un uomo italiano. Castelvecchi, 1998. ISBN 8882101061.
- Siffredi, Rocco. Io, Rocco. Mondadori, 2006. ISBN 8804559950.
- "Rocco Siffredi, grande ritorno al porno: "Mi mancava troppo il sesso"" (in Italian). Il Gazzettino. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- "El 'rey del porno' Siffredi publica los secretos de su vida". Terra España (in Spanish). 6 October 2006. Retrieved 20 July 2009.
- "Le duo Delon-Belmondo ressuscite avec éclat". lematin.ch. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- Rocco Siffredi at the Internet Adult Film Database
- "Roccosiffrediblog.com". Roccosiffrediblog.com. May 2008. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Dan Miller (9 April 2015). "Rocco Siffredi Confirms Retirement From Performing".
- Sasha (29 July 2005). "Sex - Dark Side of the Moon: Roko "The Porn King" Retires after 1300 Movies". Planetsex.blogspot.com. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Adult Video News, 2004.
- "AVN - Rocco Siffredi Reveals Reasons for Return In Exclusive Interview". Business.avn.com. 19 February 2010. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- John Shammas (20 March 2015). "Rocco Siffredi: Porn star quits XXX movies out of love for his wife".
- "Rocco Siffredi". Internet Adult Film Database. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "RHP Exclusive Interview with Porn Queen Bobbi Starr". RedHotPie. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Culture: Is it art or porn?". timesonline.co.uk. 18 July 2004. Retrieved 24 September 2009.
- "Bloccato lo spot con Rocco Siffredi". Corriere della Sera. 20 March 2006. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "Ci pensa Rocco, "il prete del sesso"". Vanity Fair. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Francesco Canino (26 August 2015). "Casa Siffredi: un reality racconta il lato inedito del porno star". Panorama. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Enrico Deregibus. Dizionario completo della Canzone Italiana. Giunti Editore, 2010. ISBN 8809756258.
- "Sanremo giovani, vince Antonio Maggio. Elio-show con Siffredi". Il Mattino. 16 February 2013. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Juan Carlos Rodríguez (3 November 2002). "Rocco es un hombre que disfruta muchísimo con su trabajo" (in Spanish). elmundo.es. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Alberto Dandolo (3 February 2015). "Rocco Siffredi". Dagospia. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "1991 Winners". AVN Awards. Archived from the original on 18 January 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "1992 Winners". AVN Awards. Archived from the original on 31 December 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "1993 Winners". AVN Awards. Archived from the original on 30 December 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "1994 Winners". AVN Awards. Archived from the original on 18 January 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Past Winners". AVN Awards. Archived from the original on 16 June 2005. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Adult Video News Award Winners - 1995". RAME. 8 January 1996. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Adult Video News Award Winners - 1996". RAME. 20 May 1997. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "AVN Awards - 1997". RAME. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "2000 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. 17 January 2000. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Heidi Pike-Johnson (12 January 2002). "2002 AVN Awards Show Winners Announced". AVN. Archived from the original on 4 February 2002. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Heidi Pike-Johnson (21 January 2003). "2003 AVN Awards Winners Announced: Awards Presented Big Year for Evil Angel...". AVN. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "2005 AVN Awards Show Winners Announced". AVN. 8 January 2005. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "2006 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. 10 August 2011. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "2007 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. 14 January 2007. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Jared Rutter (12 January 2008). "2008 AVN Awards Winners Announced". AVN. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- David Sullivan (11 January 2009). "2009 AVN Award-Winners Announced". AVN. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2011 AVN Awards". AVN. 9 January 2011. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "AVN Announces the 2012 AVN Award Winners". AVN. 22 January 2012. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- AVN Staff (21 January 2013). "And Now... The 2013 AVN Award Winners!". AVN. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- AVN Staff (19 January 2014). "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2014 AVN Awards". AVN. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2015 AVN Awards". AVN. 24 January 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- "6ème cérémonie des Hot d'Or". Hot d'Or Awards. Archived from the original on 25 February 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Past Winner History". NightMoves Awards. Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Winners 2002". FICEB. Archived from the original on 13 February 2003. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Katsumi Snags Three NINFA Awards". AVN. 7 October 2004. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "FICEB 2005 Awards". FICEB. Archived from the original on 4 January 2007. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Peter Warren (9 October 2007). "Barcelona Festival Announces Winners". AVN. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "1997 Venus Award Winners". Venus Awards. Archived from the original on 12 May 2001. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Humphrey Pennyworth. "Venus Award 2000". AVN. Archived from the original on 8 February 2001. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Tim Connelly (22 October 2003). "Private and Americans Win Big at Venus Fair". AVN. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Dan Miller (2 November 2011). "2011 XBIZ Award Winners Announced". XBIZ. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Dan Miller (16 January 2015). "2015 XBIZ Award Winners Announced". XBIZ. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "XBIZ Award Winners". XBIZ. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "XBIZ Award Winners". XBIZ. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "XRCO Hall of Fame". X-Rated Critics Organization. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "The Best of 1993–2002". X-Rated Critics Organization. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Heidi Pike-Johnson (4 April 2003). "Evil Angel's The Fashionistas Big Winner At XRCOs Thursday Night". AVN. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Tod Hunter (6 April 2007). "Hillary Scott Big Winner at XRCO Awards". XBIZ. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Arka Satana-Kundel Bury". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Horrorphilia Hot Seat w/ Director Carlos Atanes". 16 December 2010. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rocco Siffredi.|