Santa Genoveva Airport
Santa Genoveva/Goiânia Airport
Aeroporto Santa Genoveva/Goiânia
|Elevation AMSL||747 m / 2,450 ft|
It is operated by Infraero.
The airport was inaugurated in 1955 although operations started a few years earlier. Since 1974 it is operated by Infraero.
The old passenger terminal was capable of handling 600,000 passengers/year but in the last few years it has been operating beyond its capacity: in 2015 it handled more than 5 times its capacity. On May 9, 2016, a new passenger terminal located on the opposite side of the old and across the runway was opened. It is capable of handling 6,3 million passengers/year.
The government of the state of Goiás, in order to encourage tourism and aviation reduced the tax on petrol from 15% to 3%. After such a reduction there was some interest from airlines to build a hub at Santa Genoveva airport but its present operational limitations prevented the immediate implementation of such a plan.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- 22 February 1975: VASP Boeing 737-2A1 registration PP-SMU en route from Goiânia to Brasília was hijacked by 1 person who demanded ransom. The hijacker was taken down.
- 29 September 1988: VASP Boeing 737-300 registration PP-SNT operating flight 375 en route from Belo Horizonte-Confins to Rio de Janeiro was hijacked by 1 person who wanted to force a crash on the Palácio do Planalto, the official presidential workplace in Brasília. The pilot convinced the hijacker to divert to Goiânia where an emergency landing was made. The hijack ended with 1 victim.
The airport is located 8 km (5 mi) from downtown Goiânia.
Due the increasing amount of traffic that the airport has been receiving in the last years, Infraero has decided to build a new passenger terminal, with 27,160 square meters and capacity for handling 2,1 passengers/year in its initial phase. Possibility for enlargements has already been considered in the original project.
The new terminal will have 32 check-in counters and 8 jetways, apart from usual amenities such as stores and restaurants.
The first phase of the works are due to be concluded in 2012 and the second phase in 2014.
- "Estatísticas" (in Portuguese). Infraero. Archived from the original on 23 April 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Airport Official Website" (in Portuguese). Infraero. Archived from the original on 2 March 2012.
- "Lista de aeródromos públicos" (in Portuguese). ANAC.
- "Novo aeroporto de Goiânia deve ser inauguado com a presença de Dilma" (in Portuguese). G1. 9 May 2015. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Schapochnik, Claudio (1 April 2010). "Goiás reduz a alíquota do ICMS sobre querosene de aviação" (in Portuguese). Panrotas. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "Fórum de Turismo anuncia instalação em setembro. Serão 14 voos diários" (in Portuguese). Governo do Estado de Goiás. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- "Incident description PP-SMU". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "Incident description PP-SNT". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Sangue no vôo 375" (in Portuguese). Abril: Veja. 5 October 1988. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- Airport information for SBGO at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for SBGO at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Current weather for SBGO at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for GYN at Aviation Safety Network
- Santa Genoveva Airport Photo Archive at airliners.net