|Initial release||December 11, 2006|
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Windows XP and later|
SMPlayer is a cross-platform graphical front-end for MPlayer and forks of Mplayer using GUI widgets offered by Qt. SMPlayer is free and open-source software subject to the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 or later.
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (October 2016)|
- Remembers settings and time position of each file it plays
- Audio and video filters & equalizer
- Multiple speed playback
- Configurable subtitles, Internet fetch
- YouTube browser
- Localized in more than 30 languages
- Automatic support for EDL files
- Chromecast support (Requires Google Chrome or Chromium and the "webfs" package.)
SMPlayer is built with Qt and is based on MPlayer. This makes it quite portable, since MPlayer and Qt are already available on all major operating systems. On the operating systems on which SMPlayer has not yet been ported to, it is likely possible to run the application through binary compatibility with another Unix or Linux.
In addition to the Windows packages, official binary packages are provided for Ubuntu. Many distributions provide packages in their repositories.
As of version 0.6.7, SMPlayer is distributed with a NSIS generated setup (previously Inno Setup). The installer is capable of downloading and installing the latest MPlayer and MPlayer codec packages during setup, although an alternative installer is available with MPlayer included for off-line installs.
"Portable" (no installer) versions are also available in PortableApps format. An independent doom9 developer offers different Windows packages based on MPlayer binaries ported by Gianluigi Tiesi.
- UMPlayer offered integration with SHOUTcast streams and support for Mac OS X. The SMPlayer FAQ advises UMPlayer users that the same features have been added and that SMPlayer is more frequently updated.
- SMPlayer2: An abandoned fork targeted at mplayer2 users, as of 2014 replaced by SMPlayer with mpv.
- SMPlayer – License Information, retrieved 2012-01-07
- "Commit 8580 Show". Retrieved 1 June 2017 – via Assembla.
- "SMPlayer", Analysis Summary, Ohloh, retrieved 2012-01-08
- SMPlayer homepage
- "Versatile music player works SMPlayer", VNExpress, retrieved 2012-01-01
- SMPlayer - Downloads, Berlios.de, retrieved 2012-01-08
- "SMPlayer Portable". PortableApps.com. 2014-09-09. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- LoRd MuldeR (2015). "MuldeR's OpenSource Projects". MPlayer for Windows. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- Gianluigi Tiesi (sherpya) (2015). "Mplayer port on win32". Retrieved 2015-02-13.
- "UMPlayer, MPlayer fork with interesting features". Ghacks.net. 2011-03-31. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- UMPlayer: New Cross-Platform MPlayer GUI Based on SMPlayer, WebUpd8, 2011-04-01, retrieved 2011-08-16
- "UMPlayer: my favourite media player for Ubuntu". OMG! Ubuntu. 2011-06-01. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- "SMPlayer - Frequently asked questions (FAQ)". Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Martin Herkt (lachs0r) (2013-01-11). "SMPlayer2". GitHub. Retrieved 2015-02-13.
you should take a look at mpv instead
- Ricardo Villalba (rvm) (2014-11-16). "SMPlayer with support for MPV is now available". Official SMPlayer Blog. Retrieved 2015-02-13.