|English: Somalia, Wake Up|
National anthem of Somalia
|Lyrics||Ali Mire Awale|
|Music||Yusuf Haji Aden, Ali Mire Awale, 1947|
Soomaaliyeey toosoo (Somali: Soomaaliyeey toosoo; "Somalia, Wake Up") was the national anthem of Somalia from 2000 to 2012. It was succeeded by Qolobaa Calankeed, which was adopted in August 2012.
Soomaaliyeey toosoo is a well-known Somali song that dates from the early 1940s. According to the Somali government, it was written by Ali Mire Awale in 1947. However, some sources suggest that it was written by Ali Mire Awale and Yusuf Haji Adan sometime in the 1940s.
It was sung to mark independence day on July 1, 1960, and was regularly performed by children in the mornings at schools. Soomaaliyeey toosoo was officially adopted in 2000.
|Original Somali lyrics (1947)|
Sharcigaa isku kiin tolayoo
Tiro ari ah oo dhaxalaa
Tuldo geel ah oo dhacan baad
Qaran aan hubkuu tumayo
Hadba waxaan la taahaayoo
Hadba waxaan laa ooyaayoo
English translation of chorus
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
- Somalis wake up,
- Wake up and support each other
- Support your country
- Support them forever.
- Stop fighting each other
- Come back with strength and joy and do be friends again
- It's time to look forward and take command
- Defeat your enemies and unite once again.
- become strong again and again
- History of Somalia
- Flag of Somalia
- National anthem of Somalia (1960-2000), national anthem 1960-2000
- Qolobaa Calankeed, national anthem 2012-present