Super ShowDown (2020)
|Super ShowDown (2020)|
|Date||February 27, 2020|
|City||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia|
|Venue||Mohammed Abdu Arena|
|WWE Network event chronology|
|WWE in Saudi Arabia chronology|
|Super ShowDown chronology|
Super ShowDown (2020) is an upcoming professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) and WWE Network event, produced by WWE for their Raw and SmackDown brands. It will take place on February 27, 2020, at the Mohammed Abdu Arena in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It will be the third event promoted under the Super ShowDown chronology and the fifth event under WWE's 10-year partnership supporting Saudi Vision 2030.
In early 2018, the WWE began a 10-year strategic multiplatform partnership with the General Sports Authority in support of Saudi Vision 2030, Saudi Arabia's social and economic reform program. The first event under this new partnership, the Greatest Royal Rumble, was held at the King Abdullah Sports City's King Abdullah International Stadium in Jeddah on April 27. The third event, Super ShowDown, was announced to occur on June 7, 2019 at the same venue. This also marked the second event under the Super ShowDown chronology, the first of which was held on October 6, 2018 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. At the Royal Rumble, a commercial aired confirming that a third Super ShowDown event would be held on February 27. On January 30, PWInsider.com journalist Mike Johnson reported that it had been confirmed that WWE Hall of Famer Hulk Hogan would make an appearance at the event.
The event will include matches that result from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portray heroes, villains, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches. Results are predetermined by WWE's writers on the Raw and SmackDown brands, while storylines are produced on WWE's weekly television shows, Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown.
After WWE announced that John Morrison—who last wrestled in WWE in 2011—had re-signed with the company, Morrison made his first appearance on the January 3 episode of SmackDown in a brief backstage interview, coming out of The Miz's locker room. The two reunited the following week during a segment of "Miz TV," in which Morrison criticized the fans for turning on Miz the previous week after he attacked Kofi Kingston following his match. Miz and Morrison then began feuding with SmackDown Tag Team Champions The New Day (Big E and Kingston) in which Morrison would defeat Kingston and Big E on the January 17 and January 24 episodes respectively. On the January 31 episode, Morrison and Miz defeated Heavy Machinery (Otis and Tucker), Lucha House Party (Gran Metalik and Lince Dorado), and The Revival (Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder) in a fatal four-way tag team match to earn a championship match at Super ShowDown.
On the January 20 episode of Raw, WWE Champion Brock Lesnar declared himself as the first entrant in the men's Royal Rumble match as he felt that no one was worthy of challenging him for the title. Ricochet interrupted and declared that he was not afraid to fight Lesnar and asked Lesnar if he was scared to fight him. In response, Lesnar attacked Ricochet with a low blow and said that he was not scared. At the Royal Rumble, Lesnar dominated the first half of the Royal Rumble match until Ricochet entered as the fifteenth entrant. In response to what Lesnar did to him on Raw, Ricochet attacked Lesnar from behind with a low blow, which allowed eventual winner Drew McIntyre to eliminate him with a Claymore Kick. On the February 3 episode of Raw, Ricochet defeated Bobby Lashley and Seth Rollins in a triple threat match to earn a WWE Championship opportunity against Lesnar at Super ShowDown.
At the Royal Rumble, Roman Reigns defeated King Corbin in a falls count anywhere match; both also competed in the Royal Rumble match but were unsuccessful. Reigns and The Usos (Jey Uso and Jimmy Uso) then defeated Corbin, Dolph Ziggler, and Robert Roode on the following SmackDown, in which the loser ate dog food. The following week, Corbin stated that he should have won all of those matches and that he would have won the ones against Reigns had it not been for The Usos interference. He then demanded one more match with Reigns, who came out and attacked Corbin, who managed to escape. Afterwards, Reigns accepted the challenge as a steel cage match, which was scheduled for Super ShowDown.
On the February 7 episode of SmackDown, WWE Hall of Famer Goldberg was interviewed from his home via satellite. He stated that after watching the Royal Rumble, it made him want to get back in the ring—his last match was at SummerSlam in August 2019. With his old rival and WWE Champion Brock Lesnar tied up with Ricochet and Drew McIntyre, Goldberg turned his attention to the Universal Championship, as he never received a rematch for the title after losing it to Lesnar back at WrestleMania 33 in April 2017. After Universal Champion Bray Wyatt interrupted Goldberg with a special news version of the Firefly Fun House, Goldberg then challenged Wyatt's alter-ego "The Fiend" for the Universal Championship and Wyatt said "The Fiend" accepted. The match was then scheduled for Super ShowDown.
At the Royal Rumble, Bayley successfully defended her SmackDown Women’s Championship against Lacey Evans. On the February 7 episode of SmackDown, a fatal four-way match was scheduled to determine her next opponent. Carmella went on to defeat Alexa Bliss, Dana Brooke, and Naomi to earn a championship match against Bayley. On the February 14 episode of SmackDown, Bayley defeated Carmella to retain her SmackDown Women's Championship, but was attacked by both Carmella and Naomi after the match. A match between Naomi and Carmella was then scheduled for the following SmackDown with the winner facing Bayley for the title at Super ShowDown. This will be the second women's match to be held in Saudi Arabia, but the first time it will be for a championship.
On the February 10 episode of Raw, a gauntlet match for the first-ever Tuwaiq Trophy was scheduled for Super ShowDown. AJ Styles, United States Champion Andrade, Bobby Lashley, Erick Rowan, R-Truth, and Rusev were announced for the match.
|1||The New Day (Big E and Kofi Kingston) (c) vs. The Miz and John Morrison||Tag team match for the WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship|
|2||Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Ricochet||Singles match for the WWE Championship|
|3||Roman Reigns vs. King Corbin||Steel cage match|
|4||"The Fiend" Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Goldberg||Singles match for the WWE Universal Championship|
|5||AJ Styles vs. Andrade vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Erick Rowan vs. R-Truth vs. Rusev||Gauntlet match for the Tuwaiq Trophy|
|6||Bayley (c) vs. Carmella or Naomi||Singles match for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship|
- Toro, Carlos. "WWE Announces Super ShowDown Pay-Per-View For February 27 In Saudi Arabia". Fightful. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- "Saudi Arabia to host the Greatest Royal Rumble". WWE. March 5, 2018. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "National Transformation Program 2020" (PDF).
- Adam Silverstein (March 5, 2018). "WWE news, rumors: 'Greatest Royal Rumble,' NXT injury, Jericho-NJPW done?". CBS Sports. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Jefferson Lake (March 5, 2018). "WWE: Saudi Arabia to host 50-man Royal Rumble". Sky Sports. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Undertaker, Goldberg to clash for first time ever at WWE Super ShowDown". WWE. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "WWE Super Show-Down « Events Database « CAGEMATCH - The Internet Wrestling Database". www.cagematch.net. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Royal Rumble results: Powell's live review of the Royal Rumble matches, "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan in a strap match for the WWE Universal Championship, Becky Lynch vs. Asuka for the Raw Women's Championship". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- Johnson, Mike (January 30, 2020). "BIG NAME SET FOR WWE RETURN TO SAUDI ARABIA (SPOILER)". PWI Insider. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Steinberg, Brian (May 25, 2016). "WWE's 'Smackdown' Will Move To Live Broadcast On USA (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on May 26, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Powell, Jason (January 3, 2020). "1/3 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Powell's review of Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns vs. King Corbin and Dolph Ziggler, Sasha Banks and Bayley vs. Lacey Evans and Dana Brooke vs. Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- Barnett, Jake (January 10, 2020). "1/10 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Barnett's review of The Usos vs. King Corbin and Dolph Ziggler, John Morrison on Miz TV, Sasha Banks vs. Lacey Evans". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (January 31, 2020). "1/31 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Powell's review of Roman Reigns and The Usos vs. King Corbin, Robert Roode, and Dolph Ziggler, Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Braun Strowman for the Intercontinental Championship, four-way for a shot at the Smackdown Tag Titles". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 1, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (January 20, 2020). "01/20 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Andrade vs. Rey Mysterio in a ladder match for the U.S. Championship, Rusev and Liv Morgan vs. Bobby Lashley and Lana, WWE Champion Brock Lesnar, Royal Rumble developments". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (January 26, 2020). "WWE Royal Rumble results: Powell's live review of the Royal Rumble matches, "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan in a strap match for the WWE Universal Championship, Becky Lynch vs. Asuka for the Raw Women's Championship". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (February 3, 2020). "2/3 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Seth Rollins vs. Ricochet vs. Bobby Lashley in a Triple Threat for a shot at the WWE Championship at WWE Super ShowDown, Randy Orton addresses his attack on Edge, Liv Morgan vs. Lana rematch". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (February 7, 2020). "2/7 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Powell's review of Goldberg's return, Alexa Bliss vs. Naomi vs. Carmella vs. Dana Brooke in a four-way for a future championship match, Bray Wyatt's Firefly Funhouse, The Dirt Sheet with The Miz and John Morrison". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 8, 2020.
- Rumble, William Connor Steel (1888). "Mr Thomas William Rumble". Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. 14: 80–83. doi:10.1017/s0370164600004545. ISSN 0370-1646.
- Powell, Jason (February 14, 2020). "2/14 WWE Friday Night Smackdown results: Powell's review of Roman Reigns and a mystery partner vs. The Miz and John Morrison, Bayley vs. Carmella for the Smackdown Women's Championship, Otis and Mandy Rose's Valentine's Day date". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 15, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (February 10, 2020). "2/10 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Becky Lynch vs. Asuka for the Raw Women's Championship, Seth Rollins, Murphy, and AOP vs. Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens, and The Viking Raiders in an eight-man tag match, the build to WWE Super ShowDown continues". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "SmackDown Tag Team Champions The New Day vs. The Miz & John Morrison". WWE. January 31, 2020. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- "WWE Champion Brock Lesnar vs. Ricochet". WWE. February 3, 2020. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- "Roman Reigns vs. King Corbin (Steel Cage Match)". WWE. February 7, 2020. Retrieved February 8, 2020.
- "Universal Champion "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt vs. Goldberg". WWE. February 7, 2020. Retrieved February 7, 2020.
- "The first-ever Tuwaiq Trophy Gauntlet Match". WWE. February 11, 2020. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "Naomi and Carmella collide for the right to challenge Bayley for the SmackDown Women's Title at WWE Super ShowDown". WWE. February 14, 2020. Retrieved February 14, 2020.