Talent Unlimited High School
|Talent Unlimited High School|
School entrance within Julia Richman Education Complex
300 East 68th Street
|School district||New York City Department of Education|
|Staff||Yeou-Jey Vasconcelos, Principal|
|Enrollment||505 (as of 2016-17)|
The school started as a pilot program in January 1973. Students took academic courses at their home high schools and attended Talent Unlimited in the afternoons. The director of the program was John Motley, conductor of the All City High School Chorus. The music teaching staff included Arlene Lieberman, Robert Vitale, H. L. Smith, II, Camilla Williams and Fred Norman. This first class performed at Gracie Mansion for Mayor John V. Lindsay and Marian Anderson.
Talent Unlimited High School educates in five performing arts fields: Vocal Music, Musical Theatre, Acting, Dance, and Instrumental Music. These programs are taught by well experienced teachers and sometimes guest artists, that have worked in their fields for over 10 years.
It is within the Julia Richman Education Complex along with five other schools: Urban Academy, Vanguard High School, P226M Junior High Annex, Ella Baker Elementary School, and Manhattan International High School.
The Talent Unlimited Choir has appeared on the WCBS show "Holiday in Bryant Park" in 2007 and 2008. They backed up Broadway singers Norm Lewis and Carolee Carmello in 2007, and Broadway actor Cheyenne Jackson and cabaret singer Michael Feinstein in 2008. They also performed in December 2009 on the NCM/Fathom special "The Christmas Sweater - The Road to Redemption," which aired live from Skirball Center for the Performing Arts in New York City and was hosted by Glenn Beck.
- Edward W. Hardy, composer/violinist
- Emma Bell, actress
- Stephanie Andujar, actress
- Mos Def, actor/comedian
- Julissa Bermudez
- Deemi, singer/songwriter
- Malik Yoba, actor/singer
- Laurence Fishburne, actor/producer
- Kadeem Hardison, actor/director
- Sheila E., singer/drummer
- Brenda K. Starr, singer/songwriter
- Lisa Lisa (born Lisa Velez), singer/musician
- Gene Anthony Ray, actor/dancer
- Corey Glover, singer/actor
- Derrick Simmons, director/stunt actor
- Rosa Russ, singer/songwriter
- Arif St. Michael, singer/songwriter
- "School Detail for Talent Unlimited High School". New York State Education Department. Retrieved 21 June 2018.