Talk:Tower block

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Skyscrapers (Rated C-class, Top-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Skyscrapers, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of articles that relate to skyscrapers on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Top  This article has been rated as Top-importance on the project's importance scale.

Article merged with 'apartment block'[edit]

I do not think the article should be merged.
Tower blocks evoke far more negative connotations than apartment blocks do - especially in the United Kingdom.
They deserve a dedicated entry in Wikipedia, and should not be dilluted by apartment block information.
I have added my own section to the article, including references - Post-war British tower block vision and reality.
I agree that the rest of the article needs to include more references and include a more thorough world view.

Regards, Evan

Evanmgranger (talk) 11:28, 17 May 2009 (UTC)

I absolutely agree. Tower blocks mean something entirely different to Apartment buildings in the UK. Tower blocks are more synonymous with the US expression 'The Projects' than they are with the expression 'Apartment Block' The current article explains how the circumstances around their construction has led to this quite different impression.

Jpmaytum (talk) 16:08, 23 July 2009 (UTC)

Also agree, tower blocks in a UK context need their own page - they have a history and cultural legacy in the UK which is distinct enough, in my opinion, to deserve their own, unique entry.

Markt74 —Preceding undated comment added 13:31, 16 December 2009 (UTC).

As there is no consensus for a merge, I will remove the merge tag. SilkTork *YES! 08:00, 19 May 2010 (UTC)

Streets in the sky[edit]

Suggested sources for expansion of this section:

- Fayenatic (talk) 13:23, 6 February 2010 (UTC)

Confusion about scope[edit]

The article title is "tower block" which sounds like an apartment block. The first sentence list the various kinds of high-rise buildings, yet many of the international sections are focused on apartment towers. It's confusing and diminishes the usefulness of this article. A.Roz (talk) 03:45, 29 December 2010 (UTC)

Confusion about scope[edit]

Definitely confusing!!! that I clicked on this section. but before I cliked here I... I redid the Canadian section which focused on Toronto. The way it was originally written was slanted and intandem towards the "uk tower block problems, or what might be associated with problems with social housing and "projects" in new york.

apartment block or towers is just that a bunch of apartment buildings together. because they are together does not make them social housing which the U.K section seem to suggest, and the way the canadian section was written.

There are many apartment building built in the 1960's that many young trendy types will soon be, or are now clamoring to to get into.

There were rental apartment building that were built by real estate owners and business men, and there were social apartment building that were built by the government. And theses two are not at all synonymous.

Many of the apartment buildings that were built were built for young middle class families, and to a lesser extent, singles or couples...but mostly for families.

"Except for public housing, the construction of apartment blocks has declined in Toronto since the 1970s, and most multi-unit buildings since then have been built as condominiums. Furthermore, public housing is increasingly being combined with private condominium development, such as with the redevelopment of Regent Park."

Most public housing building was came to and end by the 1980s, and any type of social housing pretty much came to an end in the early 1990s with the conservative government in ontario. (talk) 04:47, 11 June 2011 (UTC)

"In Eastern Europe and Russia they are more popularly known as Commie Blocks"[edit]

I never heard term "Commie Block" in Russia. I believe that only few Russian active members of english-speaking urbanfan internet community using it. Quoted sentence should be changed, as it shows how foreigners calls the subject, not Russians. Russians using terms like "многоэтажный дом", "многоэтажка" for multi-storey house. More specifically, old houses called as "khrushchovka" or "brezhnevka" by the name of soviet leader, during which rule houses of that type was built (first one commonly used for 2-5 level buildings, and second used not so often). Blocks of khrushchovkas called "khrushchobee" (as mixing with russian "трущобы" - slums/ghetto). But I never heard this word used for post-soviet built houses. So most universal term for Russian Tower Blocks would be "мноэтажки" - "mnogoetazhkee" (a plural for multy-storey house), it can mean Tower Block when used as opposite to area not containing multy-storey houses. Though because of wide meaning of the word I doubt that it would be suitable for the article. Anyway, "commie block" is real off the mark.

Optimum numbers of floors?[edit]

Can we have some info on studies about the optimum range of floors? Like e.g. 4 floors is the maximum to go up without an elevator and over 300 floors, there's so many elevators necessary and traffic jams at the elevators at rush hours, it's not advisable either. Info in that line. Thy --SvenAERTS (talk) 01:35, 2 September 2013 (UTC)

National variety of English[edit]

Per WP:ENGVAR, we use the originally established variety of English unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise. As near as I can tell, American English (story, stories, meters) was well established in this article until a long term vandal mucked it up in September of last year. Since then, it has been partially or totally changed, reverted, unreverted, rereverted and unrereverted several times. I have changed it back to the originally established American English. - SummerPhD (talk) 22:26, 15 October 2013 (UTC)

This should be renamed to "highrise" or "high-rise".[edit]

It's a far more widespread term than "tower block" nowadays. -- Cheers Horst-schlaemma (talk) 16:09, 10 March 2014 (UTC)

Btw, this article is full of vague or even false information, such as calling the Castle towers of NYC the first residential highrises in the city. -- Horst-schlaemma (talk) 16:22, 10 March 2014 (UTC)
I agree, though I would suggest "High-rise building". That is from a US perspective. Are you (Horst-schlaemma) from Europe or the UK? It seems this article started out as an article on residential towers in the UK, and I think that should be retained. Maybe the top of the article could be redone to cover high-rise buildings in general. (Is an office bldg. also called a "tower block" in the UK?) --Margin1522 (talk) 05:24, 19 August 2014 (UTC)

Communal areas[edit]

Need a section on the provision of communal areas which is found in new apartment builds in Asia (talk) —Preceding undated comment added 17:01, 6 March 2017 (UTC)