Toon Boom Animation
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headquarters||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Products||Animation and Storyboarding software|
Toon Boom Animation Inc. is a Canadian software company that specializes in animation production and storyboarding software. Founded in 1994 and based in Montreal, Quebec, Toon Boom develops animation and storyboarding software for film, television, web animation, games, mobile devices, training applications, and education. It was acquired by Corus Entertainment in 2012.
Notable users include Walt Disney Animation Studios and Disney Television Animation, Pixar, Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. Animation, Fox, Rough Draft Studios, Nelvana, Xilam, Mercury Filmworks, China Central Television, Toonz India Ltd, Digital eMation and Gaumont Animation.
- 1 History
- 2 Products
- 3 Awards
- 4 Films
- 5 TV series
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In 1996, Toon Boom purchased the software development business of USAnimation studio. Its animation production services were to be merged into CST Entertainment according to a premature press release from CST. That merger never took place, and USAnimation's studio changed its name to VirtualMagic Animation in 1996 and operated independently. Toon Boom Animation continued the development of USAnimation software which became Toon Boom Opus. It has since become Toon Boom Harmony.
In 2006, Toon Boom acquired French company Pegs'n Co, developer of the 2D bitmap animation software called Pegs. Since the acquisition, the software has not been updated and can no longer be purchased.
- Toon Boom Studio (discontinued in 2015) - aimed at home users and individuals.
- Toon Boom Animate (discontinued in 2015) - aimed at professional animators, boutique studios, students and educators.
- Toon Boom Animate Pro (discontinued in 2015) - aimed at animation studios and freelancers.
- Toon Boom Opus (discontinued in 2008) - formerly USAnimation, it was used in the traditional film/TV animation industry.
- Toon Boom Pencil Check Pro (discontinued in 2014) - a line testing software product.
- Flip Boom product line (discontinued in 2014) - entry level animation software.
- Garfield's Comic Boom (discontinued in 2014) - a comic strip or album creation software product developed with cartoonist Jim Davis. The application included built-in video tutorials by the cartoonist.
||This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Toon Boom Harmony
This software is used in the film and TV animation industry for its professional-quality 2D animation production capabilities. Harmony contains the tools required to handle cutout (puppet), paperless frame-by-frame and traditional animation workflows from scanning to compositing and 2D/3D integration. Its toolset includes pencil lines with textures, deformation tools, morphing, inverse kinematics, particles, built-in compositor, 3D camera and 2D-3D integration. When used as a paperless animation solution, users can draw animation directly into the software, using a graphics tablet. Harmony is available in three editions: Harmony Essentials, Harmony Advanced and Harmony Premium where each addition offers progressive functionality.
Harmony has been in continuous development since 2005 and has been used on productions like The Simpsons, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, The Congress and April and the Extraordinary World, among others.
Toon Boom Harmony Server
This software provides additional capabilities for teams of animators using Harmony who want to share files and manage assets from a central database that is located on a server. Its centralized database system allows the sharing of assets between scenes and enables the workload to be shared across a studio or between studios. It also includes production controls for managing rendering jobs and coordinating batch scanning of paper drawings. Harmony Server is available as an add-on for users of Harmony Advanced and Harmony Premium.
Toon Boom Storyboard Pro
This software is used in pre-production to create storyboards for a wide variety of project types including 2D and 3D animation, stop motion, and live action productions. Storyboard Pro contains all the tools required to create storyboards and animatics. Its toolset includes vector and bitmap drawing tools, pencils and textured brushes, a built-in camera, audio tools, a timeline for timing control, and a 3D toolset to integrate imported 3D models.
Storyboard Pro supports Final Draft scripts, image file formats, vector graphics and sound for easier integration into an existing production pipeline. Storyboard Pro projects can be sent to Harmony for animation production, exported to popular 3D formats and sent to NLEs.
- In 2005, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences awarded Toon Boom Animation a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Engineering Development for USAnimation Opus.
- In 2006, the IT Federation of Quebec (FIQ) awarded an OCTAS 2006 for Toon Boom Studio in the Multimedia – educational and cultural sector category.
- In 2007, FIQ awarded an OCTAS 2007 for Toon Boom Storyboard Pro in the Technological Innovation category.
- In 2008, Flip Boom was awarded a Parents’ Choice Gold Award and a New Canadian Media Award in the Excellence in Children’s category.
- In 2009, Flip Boom was selected as Editor’s Choice by the Children’s Technology Review for excellence in design.
- In 2010, Flip Boom All-Star was granted a Parents’ Choice Silver Award, the NAPPA Honors Award and the Tech & Learning Award of Excellence.
- In 2011, Toon Boom won the HSBC International Business Award in the small and medium size category.
- Flip Boom Classic and Flip Boom All-Star Curricula were granted the 2011 Distinguished Achievement Awards in the Art category, for K-5 and 6-8 markets by The Association of Educational Publishers (AEP).
- Garfield’s Comic Boom was awarded the 2011 Preferred Choice Award granted by Creative Child Magazine, the 2011 NAPPA Honors Award and the 2011 Parent Tested Parent Approved Seal of Approval.
- Flip Boom All-Star received the 2011 Media Of The Year Award, granted by Creative Child Magazine and the 2011 Parent Tested Parent Approved Seal of Approval.
- Toon Boom Studio received the 2011 Tech & Learning Award of Excellence.
- In 2012, Frost & Sullivan granted Toon Boom the 2011 Global Animation Software Entrepreneurial Company of the Year Award.
- In 2012, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences awarded Toon Boom a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Engineering Development for Storyboard Pro, recognizing its significant impact in the industry.
- In 2013, the International Animated Film Society awarded Toon Boom Animation an Annie Award, namely the Ub Iwerks Award for Special Achievements in Animation.
Walt Disney Studios
- Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas (1997)
- Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World (1998)
- The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998)
- Doug's 1st Movie (1999)
- Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999)
- The Tigger Movie (2000)
- An Extremely Goofy Movie (2000)
- The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (2000)
- Recess: School's Out (2001)
- Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure (2001)
- Return to Never Land (2002)
- Cinderella II: Dreams Come True (2002)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame II (2002)
- Tarzan & Jane (2002)
- Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year (2002)
- 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure (2003)
- The Jungle Book 2 (2003)
- Piglet's Big Movie (2003)
- Atlantis: Milo's Return (2003)
- Stitch! The Movie (2003)
- Teacher's Pet (2004)
- The Lion King 1½ (2004)
- Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo (2004)
- Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2004)
- Mulan II (2005)
- Pooh's Heffalump Movie (2005)
- Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama (2005)
- Tarzan II (2005)
- Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005)
- Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie (2005)
- Kronk's New Groove (2005)
- Bambi II (2006)
- Leroy & Stitch (2006)
- Brother Bear 2 (2006)
- The Fox and the Hound 2 (2006)
- Cinderella III: A Twist in Time (2007)
- How to Hook Up Your Home Theater (2007)
- Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams (2007)
- Your Friend the Rat (2007)
- The Little Mermaid III: Ariel's Beginning (2008)
- The Princess and the Frog (2009)
- Chico and Rita (2011)
- Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension (2011)
- The Ballad of Nessie (2011)
- Winnie the Pooh (2011)
- Get a Horse! (2013)
Warner Bros. Animation
- Cats Don't Dance (1997)
- The Powerpuff Girls Movie (2002)
- Scooby-Doo! and the Legend of the Vampire (2003)
- Scooby-Doo! and the Monster of Mexico (2003)
- Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003)
- Scooby-Doo! and the Loch Ness Monster (2004)
- Kangaroo Jack: G'Day U.S.A.! (2004)
- Tom and Jerry: Blast Off to Mars (2004)
- Aloha, Scooby-Doo! (2005)
- Tom and Jerry: The Fast and the Furry (2005)
- Scooby-Doo! in Where's My Mummy? (2005)
- Tom and Jerry: Shiver Me Whiskers (2006)
- Scooby-Doo! Pirates Ahoy! (2006)
- Billy & Mandy's Big Boogey Adventure (2007)
- Chill Out, Scooby-Doo! (2007)
- Tom and Jerry: A Nutcracker Tale (2007)
- Scooby-Doo! and the Goblin King (2008)
- Scooby-Doo! and the Samurai Sword (2009)
- Scooby-Doo! Abracadabra-Doo (2010)
- Tom and Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes (2010)
- Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare (2010)
- Tom and Jerry & The Wizard of Oz (2011)
- Scooby-Doo! Legend of the Phantosaur (2011)
- Scooby-Doo! Music of the Vampire (2012)
- Tom and Jerry: Robin Hood and His Merry Mouse (2012)
- Big Top Scooby-Doo! (2012)
- Scooby-Doo! Mask of the Blue Falcon (2013)
- Scooby-Doo! Stage Fright (2013)
- Tom and Jerry's Giant Adventure (2013)
- Scooby-Doo! WrestleMania Mystery (2014)
- The Rugrats Movie (1998)
- Rugrats in Paris: The Movie (2000)
- Hey Arnold!: The Movie (2002)
- The Wild Thornberrys Movie (2002)
- Rugrats Go Wild (2003)
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004)
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water (2015)
20th Century Fox Animation
Universal Animation Studios
- The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock (1998)
- The Land Before Time VII: The Stone of Cold Fire (2000)
- The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze (2001)
- Balto II: Wolf Quest (2002)
- Balto III: Wings of Change (2005)
- Curious George (2006)
- Curious George 2: Follow That Monkey! (2009)
- The Triplets of Belleville (2003)
- Paul McCartney: Music & Animation (2004)
- Yobi, the Five Tailed Fox (2007)
- Pinocchio (2012)
- The Magic Snowflake (2013)
- My Little Pony: The Movie (2017)
Disney Television Animation
- American Dragon: Jake Long
- Brandy & Mr. Whiskers
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
- Dave the Barbarian
- The Emperor's New School
- Fish Hooks
- Gravity Falls
- House of Mouse
- Jake and the Never Land Pirates
- Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil
- Kim Possible
- The Legend of Tarzan
- Lilo & Stitch: The Series
- The Lion Guard
- Lloyd in Space
- Mickey Mouse Shorts
- Mickey Mouse Works
- Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero
- Pepper Ann (seasons 2-4)
- Phineas and Ferb
- Pickle and Peanut
- The Proud Family
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil
- Teacher's Pet
- Teamo Supremo
- Tron: Uprising
- Wander Over Yonder
- The Weekenders
- All Grown Up!
- As Told By Ginger
- Angelica and Susie's School Daze
- Danny Phantom
- The Fairly OddParents
- Harvey Beaks (storyboards)
- Jimmy Neutron: Beast
- The Loud House
- Pig Goat Banana Cricket
- Rocket Power
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- The Wild Thornberrys
- T.U.F.F. Puppy
- The Amazing World of Gumball (storyboards)
- The Chuck Jones Show
- Clarence (storyboards)
- Ed, Edd n Eddy
- The Powerpuff Girls (2016 TV series)
- Steven Universe (storyboards)
- Uncle Grandpa (storyboards)
20th Century Fox Animation
- American Dad!
- Bob's Burgers
- The Cleveland Show
- Family Guy
- King of the Hill
- The Simpsons
- 1001 Nights
- The Adventures of Paddington Bear
- Altair in Starland
- Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series
- The Awesomes
- The Bear and the Hare
- BoJack Horseman
- Boo & Me
- Chop Chop Ninja
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey
- Curious George
- D'Myna Leagues
- Danger Mouse
- The Deerskins
- Dragon Hunters
- Ebb and Flo
- Ever After High
- Funky Cops
- Gerald McBoing-Boing
- Geronimo Stilton
- The Gnarfs
- Grenadine & Peppermint
- Hannibal (storyboards)
- Harold & Kumar
- Hoze Houndz
- Iggy Arbuckle
- The Inner World
- Inspector Gadget
- Jimmy Two-Shoes (season 1)
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- The Large Family
- Le petit Cédric
- The Legend of Condor Hero
- Legends of Chamberlain Heights
- Les Grandes Gueules
- Life on the Block
- Lifeboat Luke
- Lucky Fred
- The Magic Hockey Skates
- Marvellous Milly
- Mega Babies
- Mirette Investigates
- MIRU MIRU
- Mike Tyson Mysteries
- Mischief City
- Missy Mila
- Mixed Nutz
- Modern Activity
- Monster in the Closet
- Mr. Pickles
- My Big Big Friend
- My Life Me
- Nature Cat
- Nelly and Caesar
- The New Woody Woodpecker Show
- Numb Chucks
- Pink Panther and Pals
- Producing Parker
- Pérusse Cité
- Rainbow Fish
- Rick and Morty
- The Ranch
- School for Vampires
- The Secret World of Benjamin Bear
- South Park (storyboards)
- Spirou et Fantasio
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Static Shock
- Stella and Sam
- Toot & Puddle
- Transformers Prime
- Transformers: Rescue Bots (season 1)
- The Triplets
- Trunk Train
- Tumble Leaf 'Kite'
- Untalkative Bunny
- Walter & Tandoori
- Weird Years
- What About Mimi?
- Wild Kratts
- Wunderkind Little Amadeus
- Yvon of the Yukon
- Creative Arts Primetime Emmys' winners
- Olivia Munn hosts the 64th Primetime Emmy Engineering Awards
- (Jun. 6, 2006). "Toon Boom Animation acquires Pegs’n Co’s" [Studio Daily]. Retrieved January 7, 2009.
- (January 8, 2009)."Toon Boom Acquires Cambridge Animation" [AWN]. Retrieved January 28, 2009.
- "" [PDF]. Retrieved August 18, 2013.