Varun Grover (writer)
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi|
|Occupation||Screenwriter, lyricist, director, stand-up comedian|
|Masaan, Udta Punjab, Dum Laga Ke Haisha, Sacred Games|
Early life and education
Grover was born in Sundernagar, Himachal Pradesh, to a school-teacher mother and army engineer father. He spent his initial years in Sundernagar and Dehradun, Uttarakhand, before moving to Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh for his adolescent years. He studied civil engineering at Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi, graduating in 2003.
Collaboration in the Independent music space
|Udta Punjab||2016 |
|Raman Raghav 2.0|
|Dum Laga Ke Haisha||Lyricist|
|Ankhon Dekhi||2014 |
|Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 2||2012 |
|Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1|
|That Girl in Yellow Boots||2011|
|Accident on Hill Road||2009||Dialogue writer|
|Jay Hind!||2009–13||Lead Writer|
|10 Ka Dum||2008-09||Writer|
|Oye! It's Friday!||2008-09 |
|Ranvir Vinay Aur Kaun?||2007-08|
|SAB Ka Bheja Fry||2007|
|The Great Indian Comedy Show||2004-06 |
Awards and nominations
- Won Best Lyrics award at 63rd National Film Awards 2015–16
- Won Best Lyricist award at Zee Cine Awards 2015 
- Won Best Lyricist award at Guild Awards 2015 
- Won Lyricist of The Year award at Mirchi Music Awards 2015 for "Moh Moh Ke Dhaage" from Dum Laga Ke Haisha
- Nominated for Best Lyricist at 61st Filmfare Awards 2016
- Nominated for Best Raaga-based song for Aayi Bahaar of Ankhon Dekhi at the Mirchi Music Awards 2014
- Nominated for Best Lyrics for Womaniya of Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1 at the Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Award 2013
- Awarded for Best Screenplay and Best Lyrics for song "Tu Kisi rail si" from movie Masaan at the Stardust Award 2015.
An unknown woman made allegations of sexual harassment against him in October 2018. The harassment allegedly took place took place during his time in BHU. Varun Grover denied the allegations in a tweet. But a self-admitted friend of the victim has claimed them to be true. An investigation into the matter by Netflix cleared him of any wrongdoing and false allegations.
- "63rd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- Pal, Divya (28 March 2016). "National Award winning lyricist Varun Grover recalls initial reactions to 'Moh Moh Ke Dhaage'". Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Varun Grover (Civil 2003) wins award as Best Lyricist at 63rd National Film Awards 2016". Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Brutal censors give another route to creativity: 'Masaan' writer Varun Grover". The Indian Express. 2015-10-07. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "Liberal in his thoughts". Daily Post India. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Varun Grover on His Journey, the Film Industry, & Sexism in Standup Comedy". The Better India. 2017-03-20. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- Jha, Lata (2015-08-05). "Masaan man Varun Grover's journey: A civil engineer turned Bollywood scriptwriter". livemint.com. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- "Neeraj Ghaywan, Varun Grover to donate National Award prize money to farmers". The Indian Express. 2016-05-04. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- Jha, Lata (5 August 2015). "Masaan man Varun Grover's journey: A civil engineer turned Bollywood scriptwriter". Mint.
- "Review: The Criminal Life in Mumbai in 'Sacred Games'". The New York Times. 6 July 2018. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- "Sacred Games review: The Devil of the Details". The Indian Express. 30 June 2018. Retrieved 15 July 2018.
- "Indian music and cinema are tough nuts to crack: Varun Grover". mid-day.com. 27 May 2017.
- "'Sacred Games' Makers Talk About Their Favourite Character, Criticism, and First Pirated Show in Reddit AMA". News18. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- "Before watching Padmaavat, check out comedian Varun Grover's hilarious take on the film". Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "Varun Grover, lyricist of many Phantom films, SLAMS Vikas Bahl for sexually abusing a female employee!". dna. 2017-04-11. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "Brutal censors give another route to creativity: 'Masaan' writer Varun Grover". The Indian Express. 2015-10-07. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "Yes, 'Bombay Velvet' Is Pretty Atrocious, But We Should Not Be Happy About It". Huffington Post. 15 May 2015.
- "Loved the simplicity of 'Tu kisi rail si…': Varun Grover". The Indian Express. 2015-08-06. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "Sacred Games writers didn t want to load the script with sex or violence". mid-day. 2018-07-15. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "Zee Cine Awards: Complete List of Winners". NDTV. 21 February 2016.
- "Guild Awards 2015". DNA India. 23 December 2015.
- "Varun Grover, Accused In #MeToo, Writes: Believe All Women But Differentiate From Believe All Screenshots". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2018-11-01.
- "Friend of woman who accused Varun Grover of sexual harassment comes forward, says charges are true". opindia.com. Retrieved 2018-11-10.
- "Netflix Retains Varun Grover, Anurag Kashyap & Vikramaditya Motwane For Sacred Games 2 Amid #MeToo". India Times. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- "Netflix clears Anurag Kashyap, Vikramaditya Motwane, Varun Grover for Sacred Games season 2". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 7 December 2018.