|Directed by||S. S. Rajamouli|
|Produced by||D. V. V. Danayya|
|Screenplay by||S. S. Rajamouli|
Sai Madhav Burra (dialogue)
|Story by||K. V. Vijayendra Prasad|
|Music by||M. M. Keeravani|
|Cinematography||K. K. Senthil Kumar|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
RRR is an upcoming Indian Telugu-language period action drama film directed by S. S. Rajamouli. The film is produced by D. V. V. Danayya of DVV Entertainments. It stars N. T. Rama Rao Jr. and Ram Charan while Alia Bhatt, Olivia Morris, Ajay Devgn, Samuthirakani, Ray Stevenson, and Alison Doody play supporting roles. It is a fictional story about India's freedom fighters, Alluri Sitarama Raju (Charan) and Komaram Bheem (Rama Rao) who fought against the British Raj and Nizam of Hyderabad respectively.
The film's music is scored by M. M. Keeravani with cinematography by K. K. Senthil Kumar, and editing by A. Sreekar Prasad. Principal photography of the film began on 19 November 2018 in Hyderabad. The film's initial release date of 8 January 2021 has been deferred due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The film is now scheduled to release on 13 October 2021 in multiple languages.
- N. T. Rama Rao Jr. as Komaram Bheem
- Ram Charan as Alluri Sitarama Raju
- Alia Bhatt as Sita
- Olivia Morris as Jennifer
- Ajay Devgn
- Ray Stevenson as Scott
- Alison Doody as Lady Scott
- Chatrapathi Sekhar
- Shriya Saran
- Spandan Chaturvedi as Young Sita
- Chakri as Young Komaram Bheem
- Varun Buddhadev
In October 2017, S. S. Rajamouli announced that his next film after Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017), would be produced by D. V. V. Danayya under DVV Entertainments banner. In March 2018, Rajamouli confirmed that the film would be starring both N. T. Rama Rao Jr. and Ram Charan.
In March 2019, Rajamouli revealed that the film's core idea came from The Motorcycle Diaries (2004). "I was fascinated by how a character named Che transforms into a revolutionary called Guevara and have structured the characters of my protagonists around a common point, on similar lines," he added. Charan and Rama Rao play the younger versions of Alluri Sitarama Raju and Komaram Bheem respectively. The plot explores their stay in Delhi of the 1920s before they begin the fight for their country, but the story is entirely fictitious. "When I read about Alluri Sitarama Raju and Komaram Bheem, it was exciting to know that their story is similar. They never met each other. What if they had met? What if they had inspired each other? That is what RRR is about," he noted.
The film was tentatively titled as RRR,[a] which was later confirmed to be the official title. In an interview, Rajamouli said that a universal title across the languages was essential for a film of such scale.
K. V. Vijayendra Prasad gave the original story while Rajamouli scripted the film. The film has a score and soundtrack composed by M. M. Keeravani. K. K. Senthil Kumar is the director of photography and A. Sreekar Prasad is the editor. Sabu Cyril is signed as the production designer while V. Srinivas Mohan will supervise the visual effects. Costume designing is done by Rama Rajamouli. Sai Madhav Burra is providing the dialogues for the film.
The film marks the Telugu debut of Ajay Devgan and Alia Bhatt. Alia Bhatt was paired opposite Ram Charan while Ajay Devgn would have an extended cameo. British actress Daisy Edgar-Jones was signed to be paired opposite Jr. NTR but was later replaced by Olivia Morris. Tamil actor Samuthirakani was roped in to play a crucial role. In November 2019, it was announced that Hollywood actors Ray Stevenson and Alison Doody would play major roles. Stevenson, who featured in Thor, would play the lead antagonist Scott whereas Doody is cast as Lady Scott.
Principal photography of the film commenced on 19 November 2018 in Hyderabad. The first schedule involved an action sequence shot at a set erected at Aluminium factory, Hyderabad. N. T. Rama Rao Jr., Ram Charan and S. S. Rajamouli have taken off to Vadodara on 29 March 2019 to continue with the shoot of the film. The second schedule of the film took place in Bulgaria where the crew shot crucial scenes featuring N. T. Rama Rao Jr. Bollywood actor Ajay Devgn began his shooting schedule on 21 January 2020. The filming, which was halted due to COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, resumed on 5 October 2020.
Alia Bhatt began filming on 6 December 2020, though she signed for the role in 2019. A set resembling the 20th century Delhi was recreated at the Ramoji Film City. After shooting in Mahabaleshwar, the unit moved to Hyderabad. The filming of the climax episode began on 19 January 2021.
Marketing and release
The makers invited the expansion for the title RRR in various languages from the people. On 25 March 2020, the expansion of the title RRR is revealed as Roudram Ranam Rudhiram in Telugu, Raththam Ranam Rowthiram in Tamil, Roudra Rana Rudhira in Kannada, Rudhiram Ranam Roudhram in Malayalam (all of which translate to Rage, War, Blood) and Rise Roar Revolt in Hindi. The film was earlier scheduled to be released on 30 July 2020. However, in February 2020, the release date was revised as 8 January 2021. In November 2020, Rajamouli said that the release date will be confirmed after the completion of shooting, which was on hold due to COVID-19 pandemic and resumed in October.
On 25 January 2021, the new release date was announced as 13 October 2021. The film will release in Telugu along with the dubbed versions in Hindi, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam and other Indian languages. In February 2021, Lyca Productions acquired the film's theatrical distribution rights for Tamil Nadu. In March, Pen Studios acquired the theatrical rights for North India, in addition to electronic, satellite and digital rights of all language versions. 
- RRR is an abbreviation for Rajamouli, Ram Charan, and Rama Rao.
- "RRR release date announced: SS Rajamouli's Ram Charan and Jr NTR starrer to hit screens this Dasara - Times of India". The Times of India. 25 January 2021. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- "RRR budget revealed. The amount of Jr NTR and Ram Charan film will blow your mind". India Today. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "Rajamouli's 'RRR' to release on July 30 in 2020, Alia Bhatt to make south debut". The News Minute. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Janani K. (25 January 2021). "Jr NTR and Ram Charan's RRR to release on October 13, confirms SS Rajamouli". India Today. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- ""Not true," says Alia Bhatt about Priyanka Chopra replacing her in RRR : Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood hungama. 24 August 2020. Retrieved 13 October 2020.
- Press Trust of India (20 November 2019). "SS Rajamouli ropes in Olivia Morris Ray Stevenson and Alison Doody for RRR". India Today. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- Goyal, Divya (24 June 2020). "More About Ajay Devgn's Role In Ram Charan And Jr NTR's RRR". NDTV. Retrieved 7 February 2021.
- "Samuthirakani shares sneak-peek from RRR sets. See pic". India Today. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 21 September 2019.
- "RRR: తారక్ను మూడు గెటప్స్లో చూశాను, ఫ్యాన్స్కి పండగే". Samayam Telugu (in Telugu). 30 January 2020. Retrieved 21 August 2020.
- "Shriya Saran confirms her presence in Rajamouli's RRR. Likely to play Ajay Devgn's wife". India Today. 8 June 2020. Retrieved 18 March 2021.
- "RRR: Meet the child artists of the Jr NTR, Ram Charan, Alia Bhatt starrer - Times of India". The Times of India. 28 September 2020. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- "'Baahubali' director SS Rajamouli confirms next two films". www.thenewsminute.com. 14 October 2017. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- "SS Rajamouli announces next film starring Telugu superstars Ram Charan, Jr NTR; film may get wrapped up by 2018- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 23 March 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- "'RRR' is fictitious story based on two greatest freedom fighters: SS Rajamouli". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- "Ajay Devgn and Alia Bhatt on board SS Rajamouli's RRR. Set for July 2020 release". The New Indian Express. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2021.
- "SS Rajamouli's next film to be wrapped up in 18 months?". The News Minute. 9 May 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- Jha, Subhash K. (13 April 2020). ""Initially RRR was just a working title, but it became so popular that we adopt it" – S S Rajamouli". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 30 January 2021.
- "Alia Bhatt, Ajay Devgn roped in for Rajamouli's RRR; film releases on 30 July, 2020". Deccan Chronicle. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- SS Rajamouli Exclusive Interview About RRR And LockDown | Jr NTR | NTV Entertainment. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- "SS Rajamouli begins shooting for the second schedule of RRR starring Jr NTR and Ram Charan". Times Now. 22 January 2019.
- "'RRR' dialogue writer reveals interesting news about the Ram Charan and NTR starrer - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- "t's official! Alia Bhatt and Ajay Devgn confirmed for SS Rajamouli's next RRR starring Ram Charan and Jr NTR". Times Now. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Alia Bhatt to play Sita in Rajamouli's 'RRR'". The News Minute. 18 March 2019. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- "RRR: Olivia Morris Replaces Daisy Edgar - Jones as the Lead Actress Opposite Jr NTR in SS Rajamouli's Historical Drama". www.latestly.com. 20 November 2019. Retrieved 10 October 2020.
- "Rajamouli completes first shooting schedule for RRR". Deccan Chronicle. 8 December 2018. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- "Junior NTR, Ram Charan and SS Rajamouli take off to Gujarat for RRR and here's the proof!". Bollywood Hungama. 29 March 2019. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "New schedule of RRR begins in Bulgaria, SS Rajamouli to shoot key sequences with Jr NTR". Hindustan Times. 27 August 2019. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "RRR: Ajay Devgn Begins Shooting For SS Rajamouli's Film, Co-Starring Alia Bhatt, Ram Charan And Jr NTR". NDTV. 21 January 2020. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "Rajamouli's 'RRR' resumes shooting in Hyderabad, filmmakers plan two-month schedule". The News Minute. 5 October 2020.
- "SS Rajamouli resumes shooting for RRR". The New Indian Express.
- K., Janani (6 December 2020). "Alia Bhatt finally joins team RRR for shooting in Hyderabad. See stunning pic". India Today. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- "Alia Bhatt joins SS Rajamouli's RRR shoot in Hyderabad". Mumbai Mirror. 7 December 2020. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "Ram Charan and Jr NTR commence climax shoot for SS Rajamouli's RRR". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "SS Rajamouli begins shooting for RRR's climax". filmfare.com. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "Title Contest For RRR - Golden Opportunity For The Fans". Sakshi Post. 1 May 2019. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- "Jr NTR's first look from 'RRR' won't release on his birthday, but the 'wait will absolutely be worth it'". Zee News. 18 May 2020. Retrieved 5 June 2020.
- "SS Rajamouli's RRR, Starring Ajay Devgn, Ram Charan And Jr NTR, Gets New Release Date". NDTV.com. 5 February 2020. Retrieved 5 February 2020.
- "Chiranjeevi and Aamir Khan to lend their voice for Rajamouli's 'RRR'?". The News Minute. 27 November 2020. Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- "Alia Bhatt on making her debut in Telugu cinema with 'RRR'". The News Minute. 26 December 2020. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- K., Janani (17 February 2021). "RRR Tamil Nadu theatrical rights snapped by Lyca Productions". India Today. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- "Pen Studios acquires North Indian theatrical rights of SS Rajamouli's RRR, starring Ram Charan and Jr NTR". Firstpost. 1 April 2021. Retrieved 1 April 2021.
- Desk, India com Entertainment (13 April 2021). "RRR New Poster Out: Ram Charan-Jr NTR Make The Celebrations Grander Than Ever!". India News, Breaking News | India.com.