Victor Basile, official OPM portrait
|Title||First executive director, Human Rights Campaign|
|Term||June 1983-June 1989|
Victor Basile is an LGBT rights activist who was the first executive director of the Human Rights Campaign (then the Human Rights Campaign Fund), serving in that position from June 1983 to June 1989.
Prior to HRC, Basile had been president of an American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees local union based in Washington, D.C.
Basile has been, at least in the past, a supporter of outing gay politicians who work against LGBT rights. In 1989, the Washington Post quoted him as saying "Those who participate in the (gay) community and then vote against it are guilty of hypocrisy-hypocrisy that causes harm to a whole class of people. They are like Jews who put other Jews into the ovens. . . . Their duplicitous, devious, harmful behavior ought to be exposed."
- Haggerty, George E. (2000). Gay Histories and Cultures: An Encyclopedia. Taylor & Francis. pp. 459–. ISBN 9780815318804. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Robinson, John (Oct 7, 1988). "US WIDENS PROTECTION AGAINST BIAS OVER AIDS". Boston Globe. p. 3. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Stein, Marc (2004). Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History in America. Simon & Schuster. p. 70. ISBN 9780684312637. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "25 Years of Political Influence: The Records of the Human Rights Campaign". Cornell University. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Andriote, John-Manuel (1999-06-01). Victory Deferred: How AIDS Changed Gay Life in America. University of Chicago Press. pp. 229–. ISBN 9780226020495. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Hunt, Gerald (1999-10-15). Laboring For Rights. Temple University Press. pp. 67–. ISBN 9781566397186. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Weiser, Benjamin (September 19, 1989). "Gay Activists Divided on Whether to 'Bring Out" Politicians". Washington Post. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Gross, Larry P.; Woods, James D. (1999). The Columbia Reader on Lesbians and Gay Men in Media, Society, and Politics. Columbia University Press. pp. 423–. ISBN 9780231104470. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Roehr, Bob (5 November 2003). "HRC Gets New Leader". Windy City Times. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Geidner, Chris (27 August 2011). "HRC's Solmonese to Step Down, Sources Say No Replacement Has Been Selected". Metro Weekly. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Vic Basile in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- "Counselor to the Director". United States Office of Personnel Management. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Rimmerman, Craig A.; Wald, Kenneth D.; Wilcox, Clyde (2000-07-01). The Politics of Gay Rights. University of Chicago Press. pp. 71–. ISBN 9780226719986. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- Desmon, Stephanie (26 December). "A day off becomes a day of charity ; Jewish volunteers spend Christmas helping feed those with AIDS, HIV". The Sun. p. 1B. Retrieved 16 May 2012. Check date values in:
- Middaugh, Susan (29 September 2006). "Benedictine blends business, faith to rescue parish". Catholic Review. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
|Human Rights Campaign|
|New title||Executive Director
June 1983 – June 1989
|This biographical article about a United States activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|