Warcraft III World Editor
|Warcraft III World Editor|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Mac OS X|
|Genre(s)||Software development tool|
The Warcraft III World Editor is the built-in level editor for the real-time strategy game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion set Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Incorporating the core mechanics of the level editor of Blizzard Entertainment's previous strategy game StarCraft, it allows users to create and customize their own maps with a high level of detail and flexibility. The editor has been used in creating several popular custom maps, including Defense of the Ancients. The level editor was substantially improved for The Frozen Throne and allowed users to create cut scenes supporting voice-overs. Advanced features of the editor allow for custom models, tilesets and icons. The editor also supports Blizzard's JASS scripting language for programming complex actions otherwise not supported by the graphical interface.
The editor is divided into different modules that allow the user to customize different features of a map.
- The Terrain Editor allows the user to edit the map terrain, add water and trees, and place player units and buildings with the help of the tool palette.
- The Object Editor allows the user to modify most attributes of placeable objects in the game, such as the appearance and abilities of units, buildings and items. It also allows the user to create custom objects based on existing ones.
- The Trigger Editor allows users to create triggers that fire when certain events occur in the game and import their own JASS code.
- The Import Manager allows the user to import custom models, textures, minimaps, loading-screens and sounds into a map.
- The AI Editor allows the user to create custom AI scripts for computer players.
- The Campaign Editor allows the user to create custom campaigns by combining maps saved in the computer. This editor features an object editor in it as well, so multiple maps can use the same units.
- Boxer, Steve (2002-06-11). "War Craft III: Reign of Chaos". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- Cottee, James (2003-07-02). "Warcraft III Expansion: The Frozen Throne". The Age. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- Cohen, Peter (2002-12-01). "The Game Room: Let Chaos Reign". Macworld. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- Walbridge, Michael (2009-01-16). "Analysis: Defense of the Ancients - An Underground Revolution". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Blizzard Ships Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne". GamePro. 2003-06-01. Archived from the original on 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2009-01-16.