Weedon Island Preserve
|Weedon Island Preserve|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
View of the preserve from top of observation tower
|Location||Pinellas County, Florida, USA|
|Nearest city||St. Petersburg, Florida|
|Established||June 13, 1972|
|Governing body||Pinellas County Park Department|
Weedon Island Preserve
|NRHP Reference #||72000347|
The Weedon Island Preserve is an archaeological area near St. Petersburg, Florida, United States. It is located on 1800 Weedon Drive NE. The preserve, owned by the state, is leased to Pinellas County. The county's Department of Environmental Management/Environmental Lands Division manages the area. The name for a period in southeastern Native American history, Weeden Island culture, was derived (with a misspelling) from the area. On June 13, 1972, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Recreational activities and amenities
A 3,000-foot boardwalk leads visitors to a 45 foot observation tower, usable for bird and wildlife viewing. With favorable weather conditions, one can see much of the Preserve and Tampa Bay from this tower, as well as the cities of Tampa and St. Petersburg.
Weedon Island Preserve Cultural and Natural History Center
The Weedon Island Preserve Cultural and Natural History Center opened in the fall of 2002. The Center focuses on the natural, cultural and archaeological history of the preserve. The Hall Gallery displays features changing displays of state and local artists and photographers.
Part of the collection of Native American artifacts from Weedon Island has been digitized and is available online as a virtual tour.
A 40 feet (12 m) canoe was found in the Weedon Island Preserve that is believed to be a Manasotan artifact. It estimated to be 1,100 years old.
The Preserve is open seven days a week, from dawn to dusk.
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Weedon Island at City of St. Petersburg
- Local Historic Landmarks: Weedon Island Site Retrieved June 28, 2007
- "Weedon Island Preserve". weedonislandcenter.org. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- http://www.weedonislandcenter.org/ Weedon Island Center, accessed January 21, 2008
- "1,100-Year-Old Prehistoric Canoe Found in Pinellas County, Florida" (PDF). Retrieved 1 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Weedon Island Preserve.|
- Weedon Island Preserve official site
- Milanich, Jerald T., Ann S. Cordell and Vernon J. Knig. (1997) Archaeology of Northern Florida, A.D. 200-900: The McKeithen Weeden Island Culture University Press of Florida. ISBN 0-8130-1538-3
- Pinellas County listings at National Register of Historic Places
- Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs