Amite City, Louisiana
|Amite City, Louisiana|
Blythewood Plantation House
|Elevation||115 ft (35.1 m)|
|Area||3.9 sq mi (10.1 km2)|
|- land||3.8 sq mi (10 km2)|
|- water||0.04 sq mi (0 km2), 1.03%|
|Density||1,066.2 / sq mi (411.7 / km2)|
|Mayor||Buddy Bel (No party), elected in 2012|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Amite City (// ay-MEET or // ay-MIT; commonly just Amite) is a large-in-area town in and the parish seat of Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 4,110 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Hammond Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Amite City is located at (30.728718, -90.508519).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.9 square miles (10 km2), of which 3.8 square miles (9.8 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.52%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,110 people, 1,310 households, and 926 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,066.2 people per square mile (412.2/km²). There were 1,450 housing units at an average density of 376.1 per square mile (145.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 46.42% White, 51.82% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.78% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.78% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.41% of the population.
There were 1,310 households out of which 32.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.4% were married couples living together, 26.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.3% were non-families. 26.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 12.3% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 21.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 111.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 111.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $27,011, and the median income for a family was $33,125. Males had a median income of $30,590 versus $19,063 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,565. About 23.1% of families and 27.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.3% of those under age 18 and 14.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Rusty Chambers, NFL football player.
- John Bel Edwards, United States Military Academy Graduate, State Representative from 2008–Present
- Bolivar Edwards Kemp, Jr., former U.S. representative from 1925–1933 and Louisiana Attorney General from 1948–1952.
- Kevin Magee, a basketball player, performed mainly in Europe.
- Lloyd Pye, Research Coordinator of the Starchild Project, as well as an author, researcher, and lecturer in the field of Alternative Knowledge.
- Lester Ricard, football player for the Tulane Green Wave and the NFL Carolina Panthers.
- Weldon Russell, former state representative and Amite City Council member.
- Joanne Verger, Oregon legislator and first woman mayor of Coos Bay, Oregon.
- Harry D. Wilson, former state representative and Louisiana Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry, though from Independence, is interred at Amite Cemetery.
- Karl Wilson, NFL football player.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amite, Louisiana.|
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Leeper, Clare D'Artois (19 October 2012). Louisiana Place Names: Popular, Unusual, and Forgotten Stories of Towns, Cities, Plantations, Bayous, and Even Some Cemeteries. LSU Press. p. 17. ISBN 978-0-8071-4740-5.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Amite Cemetery". findagrave.com. Retrieved May 2, 2013.