Glade Interface Designer
Designing a preferences dialog in Glade
|Original author(s)||Damon Chaplin|
|Initial release||18 April 1998|
|Stable release||3.14.2 (GTK+ 3.0)
3.8.3 (GTK+ 2) (November 26, 2012
December 3, 2012) [±]
|Operating system||Unix-like, Windows|
|License||GNU General Public License|
Glade Interface Designer is a graphical user interface builder for GTK+, with additional components for GNOME. In its third version, Glade is programming language–independent, and does not produce code for events, but rather an XML file that is then used with an appropriate binding (such as GtkAda for use with the Ada programming language).
History and development 
The first Glade release, version 0.1, was made on April 18, 1998.
Glade 3 was released on 12 August 2006. According to the Glade Web site, the most noticeable differences for the end-user are:
- Undo and redo support in all operations.
- Support for multiple open projects.
- Removal of code generation.
- Contextual help system with Devhelp
Most of the difference is in the internals. Glade-3 is a complete rewrite, in order to take advantage of the new features of GTK+ 2 and the GObject system (Glade-3 was started when Glade-1 hadn't yet been ported to GTK+ 2). Therefore the Glade-3 codebase is smaller and allows new interesting things, including:
- Catalogs of "pluggable" widgets. This means that external libraries can provide their set of widgets at runtime and Glade will detect them. In fact, Glade 3 supports only standard GTK+ widgets; GNOME UI and DB widgets are provided separately.
- The various Glade Tools (palette, editor, etc.) are implemented as widgets. This allows for easier integration in IDEs like Anjuta, and makes it easier to change the Glade UI.
- Glade 3.8: That includes all support for GTK+ up till version 2.24. This version is to serve as a decent migration path for older projects migrating to GTK+ 3.0.
- Glade 3.10: That includes support only for widgets that are still included in GTK+ 3.0 and additionally drops support for Libglade.
GtkBuilder is the XML format that the Glade Interface Designer uses to save its forms. These documents can then be used in conjunction with the GtkBuilder object to instantiate the form using GTK+. GladeXML is the XML format that was used with conjunction with libglade, which is now deprecated.
Code sketching 
Code sketchers are software applications that help a user create source code from a GladeXML file. Most code sketchers create source code which uses libglade and a GladeXML file to create the GUI. Some sketchers are able to create raw code that does not need the GladeXML file. The table below compares basic information about GladeXML code sketcher packages.
|eglade||Daniel Elphick||Eiffel||Eiffel Forum License|
|Gladex||Christopher Pax and Charles Edward Pax||Perl, Python, Ruby||GPL v3|
|Tepache||Sandino Flores Moreno||Python||LGPL|
|GladeToBac||Thomas Freiherr||FreeBASIC (includes headers for GTK-3 and
GTK-2.22.0 / GTKGlExt-1.2.0)
|Glade2FB||Arnel Borja||FreeBASIC||GPL v3|
|gate3||F. J. Fabien||Ada||MIT|
See also 
- Rapid Application Development with Python and Glade, Jul 01, 2004 By David Reed, Linux Journal - Damon Chaplin wrote the Glade program
- Glade FAQ, version 1.0, Copyright © 2000 by Damon Chaplin
- Running Linux, 3rd Edition, By Matt Welsh, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer & Lar Kaufman - 3rd Edition August 1999 (est.) , Appendix B The GNOME Project > B.5.3 Programming Tools > ...Of particular interest is Damon Chaplin's Glade...
- Archive copy at the Wayback Machine - Damon Chaplin (author of the original Glade tool)
- Archive copy at the Wayback Machine - Historical Glade website http://glade.pn.org
- Archive copy at the Wayback Machine - GLADE GTK+ User Interface Builder > History > The first release, Version 0.1, was on 18. Apr 1998.
- Glade 3.8.0 and 3.10.0 released, Tuesday 05 April 2011 by Tristan Van Berkom - Glade 3.8.0 and 3.10.0 are now available for download. 3.8 is the last stable series of Glade for GTK+2 and 3.10 is the first stable series for GTK+3
- "Libglade officially deprecated in favor of GtkBuilder.". Gnome devel-announce-list mailing list. 11 May 2009. http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2009-May/msg00003.html. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Glade Interface Designer|
|This GNOME-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|