|This article relies on references to primary sources. (August 2011)|
|Developer(s)||Xamarin and the Mono community|
|Preview release||4.3.0 Alpha|
|Operating system||Windows, Mac OS X, openSUSE, SUSE Linux Enterprise, Debian, Ubuntu|
|Type||Integrated development environment|
|License||LGPLv2, MIT X11|
MonoDevelop is an open source integrated development environment for the Linux platform, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows, primarily targeted for the development of software that uses both the Mono and Microsoft .NET frameworks. MonoDevelop integrates features similar to those of NetBeans and Microsoft Visual Studio, such as automatic code completion, source control, a graphical user interface (GUI) and Web designer. MonoDevelop integrates a Gtk# GUI designer called Stetic. It currently has language support for C#, F#, Java, Boo, Visual Basic.NET, Oxygene, CIL, Python, Vala, C and C++.
In late 2003, a few developers from the Mono community began migrating SharpDevelop, a successful .NET open source IDE from System.Windows.Forms on Windows to Gtk# on Linux. Being an early fork of SharpDevelop, MonoDevelop architecturally differs from recent SharpDevelop releases.
Over time, the MonoDevelop project was absorbed into the rest of the Mono project and is actively maintained by Xamarin and the Mono community. Since Mono 1.0 Beta 2, MonoDevelop is bundled with Mono releases.
MonoDevelop on non-Linux platforms
MonoDevelop can also be used on the Windows and Mac OS X platforms. Both platforms have been officially supported since version 2.2, and Xamarin offers a rebranded version of MonoDevelop 4.0 as Xamarin Studio which now uses platform-specific code in various places to enhance the look & feel. While Mono provides a package for Solaris 10 running on SPARC, MonoDevelop packages for OpenSolaris are only provided by groups from the OpenSolaris community. MonoDevelop on FreeBSD is likewise supported only by the FreeBSD community.
MonoDevelop in the Unity3D game development environment
MonoDevelop is also the primary IDE for the Unity3D game development environment. The current version that ships with Unity3D (v4.3) is MonoDevelop 4.0.1. 
- Mono (software)
- Comparison of integrated development environments
- Glade Interface Designer
- Qt Creator
- "MonoDevelop Download". monodevelop.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Monodevelop FAQ". Monodevelop.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "MonoDevelop on MacOS X - Miguel de Icaza". Tirania.org. 2009-05-05. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "MonoDevelop 2.2 Beta 1: We go cross platform. - Miguel de Icaza". Tirania.org. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "Stetic Gui Designer". Monodevelop.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "Feature List". MonoDevelop. 2008-02-05. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Embarcadero Technologies. "Delphi Prism | Cross Platform .NET and Mono IDE". Embarcadero.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "What's new in MonoDevelop 2.2". Monodevelop.com. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- Miguel de Icaza: The Making of Xamarin Studio, February 22, 2013
- "Mono Downloads". Go-mono.com. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "OpenSolaris Forums - Mono .NET available on GNU/OpenSolaris!". Opensolaris.org. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- "Mono:FreeBSD - The BSD# Project". Mono-project.com. Retrieved 2010-06-26.