John DiMaio (born November 27, 1955) is an American Republican Party politician, who was selected on February 21, 2009 to fill the New Jersey General Assembly seat for the 23rd legislative district vacated by Marcia A. Karrow, after Karrow filled the vacancy for the New Jersey Senate in the same district. He was sworn in on March 16, 2009.
DiMaio was born and raised in Hackettstown, New Jersey. He graduated from Hackettstown High School in 1974. He served as a member of the town council for 11 years, and then as Mayor of Hackettstown for nine years. From 2000 to 2009, he served as a Freeholder for Warren County. He is also the owner of A. DiMaio and Son, Inc., a general contracting business in Hackettstown.
2009 General Assembly race
On February 21, 2009, a special election was held by a convention of Republican committee members from Hunterdon and Warren counties to fill the vacant Assembly seat of Marcia A. Karrow. Karrow had earlier won a special election convention for the right to succeed Congressman Leonard Lance, who resigned from the Senate after his election to the U.S. House of Representatives.
At the special election convention, DiMaio defeated Erik Peterson and Matt Holt, both members of the Hunterdon County Board of Chosen Freeholders. On the first ballot, the totals were: DiMaio 129, Peterson 104, and Holt 56. On the second runoff ballot, the totals were: DiMaio 153 and Peterson 141.
In the June 2009 Republican primary, DiMaio successfully defended his Assembly seat. He and his running mate, Hunterdon County Freeholder Erik Peterson, narrowly edged out Ed Smith for the two spots on the November general election ballot. DiMaio and Peterson defeated Democratic candidates William Courtney and Tammeisha Smith in the general election.
Each of the forty districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 23rd District for the 2010–2011 Legislative Session are:
- Lechiski, Kevin (2008-08-24). "DiMaio 'guest of honor' at House gala". Warren Reporter. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Novak, Stephen J. (2009-02-01). "GOP convention picks to fill district Senate and Assembly seats could lead to contentious primary season". Express-Times. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- Olanoff, Lynn (2009-02-22). "John DiMaio named to fill Assembly seat". Express-Times. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "DiMaio takes Central Jersey Assembly seat". Newsday. 2009-03-16. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- "DiMaio sworn in to General Assembly". NJ Assembly Republicans. 2009-03-16. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- Novak, Stephen J. (2009-06-03). "DiMaio, Peterson take 23rd District Republican primary in tight race for New Jersey Assembly". Express-Times. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- Wichert, Bill (2009-11-04). "Republican Michael Doherty wins New Jersey Senate post; GOP running mates John DiMaio and Erik Peterson capture state Assembly seats". The Express-Times. Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- Assemblyman John DiMaio's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
|New Jersey General Assembly|
Marcia A. Karrow
|New Jersey State Assemblyman - District 23
March 16, 2009 - present