Dunn in 2014.
3 August 1990 |
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Measurements||32-23-34 (US); 81-59-86 (EU)|
|Dress size||2 (US), 6, 34 (EU)|
|Shoe size||10 (US), 40 (EU)|
|Manager||Storm Model Management
Jourdan Sherise Dunn (born 3 August 1990) is a British fashion model. She was discovered in Hammersmith Primark in 2006 and signed to Storm Model Management in London shortly thereafter. She began appearing on international runways in early 2007. In February 2008, she was the first black model to walk a Prada runway in over a decade. She has attracted attention because of the paucity of black models in the fashion modelling industry. In April 2014, it was announced that Dunn was signed as the new face of Maybelline New York. As of July 2014, she was declared an icon by models.com In 2014, Forbes listed Dunn in their top-earning models list, estimated to have earned $4 million in one year. She was the first black British model to make the list.
Early life and discovery
Jourdan Dunn was born in the West London suburb of Greenford, where she grew up with her mother, a receptionist and two younger brothers. She admitted to being self-conscious as a teenager, due to her height and weight. She stated growing up, people would often tell her she should become a model, but was apprehensive as she wasn't really sure what a model did. She commented that shows like America's Next Top Model intrigued her on the industry, as it gave her a new perspective of the job.
At the age of 16, Dunn made her runway debut in the New York shows in the fall of 2007, walking in shows for Marc Jacobs and Polo Ralph Lauren, among others. Soon after, she quickly rose to prominence within the industry. In 2007, she was featured on British Vogue as a "new star,", and in 2008 Style.com listed her as one of the top 10 newcomers. She also walked 75 shows during the spring/summer 2008 season, including Louis Vuitton and Valentino. Dunn has since become a major fixture on runways, having walked for the industries biggest designers. She was often distinguished for being the only black model in shows, for which she later condemned designers.
In July 2008, Steven Meisel selected Dunn to appear on the cover of the Vogue Italia issue devoted entirely to black models. She has also been featured on the cover of American Vogue, British Vogue and Teen Vogue, as well as covering i-D- seven times, Elle, Pop, Russh, Muse, The Sunday Times Style, Ponystep, Antidote and Luella. She has garnered attention for her legs and for her walk which she says she practises frequently with very tall heels, walking over 60 shows during the spring 2009 season.
She has been in campaigns for Ann Taylor, Burberry, Balmain, Calvin Klein, Yves Saint Laurent, DKNY, John Galliano, Victoria's Secret, Tommy Hilfiger, Topshop, Jaeger, Rag & Bone, Gap, Aldo, Shiatzy Chen, Benetton, H&M, Banana Republic, Free People, Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue, and was the face of Rihanna's collections for River Island.
She has appeared in editorials for American, Italian, French, British, Russian, Spanish, Japanese and Teen Vogue, Elle, i-D, Dazed & Confused, W, Pop, Centrefold and V - among others. In Teen Vogue 's November 2009 issue on which she appears alongside Chanel Iman, she discusses her and Chanel's previous competitive relationship in the accompanying article, as well as the challenges they face being black models in the fashion world. The issue sparked controversy as Dunn; who was 18 at the time, announced her pregnancy. Teen Vogue faced backlash from the media, who accused them of glorifying teenage pregnancy.
She continued to model until she was six months pregnant and couldn't fit into any of the clothes- notably walking the catwalk for the Spring 2010 Jean Paul Gaultier show, with a baby bump. At the age of 19, ten weeks after giving birth, Dunn returned to the runway at London Fashion Week for the Winter 2010 season. For returning to work so quickly, she said her motivation was her son:
"More than anything, having a son has made me realise I have to make shit work: I'm his voice, I'm his lifeline, I have to be driven. I think he pushed me in the right direction. I've always been ambitious, but now I have more focus. I'm more hardworking."
During the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony, Dunn was one of the British models wearing bespoke fashions created by British designers specifically for the event. The other models were Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, David Gandy, Karen Elson, Lily Cole, Georgia May Jagger and Stella Tennant. She wore a gold and white gown by Jonathan Saunders with feathered headdress by Stephen Jones. She also made her Victoria's Secret Fashion Show debut for the 2012 show.
In March 2013, Dunn appeared as the cover story in Net-a-Porter's "The Edit." In it she spoke of encountering discrimination telling the magazine that casting agents would say clients “didn't want any more black girls”. In July, 2013, she received media attention for tweeting that she had been cancelled from a Dior haute couture show, "for her boobs"; rather than her skin colour - which she noted, "usually happens".
In April 2014, it was announced Maybelline New York had signed her to join the brand. Her first role for the cosmetic company will be fronting the brand's "Go Extreme Mascara", accompanied with print and television ads.
In November 2013, she won "Model of the Year" at the Harper's Bazaar Women Of The Year Awards.
As of July 2014, she was declared an icon by models.com after appearing on their Top 50 Models Women list for seven consecutive years.
Media and Appearances
Dunn appeared in the music videos for "Yoncé" and "XO" from Beyoncé's fifth self-titled studio album which is widely described as a "visual album" due to every song being accompanied by a music video.
Dunn currently hosts a cooking show entitled, "Well Dunn", on Jay Z's Life+Times YouTube channel. The web show has featured celebrity guest co-chefs, such as 2 Chainz, Wale, Karlie Kloss, Chanel Iman, Cara Delevingne and Joan Smalls among others. 
She was a guest on The Jonathan Ross Show in March 2013, to discuss her career. In December 2013. The videos were shot in Brooklyn and Coney Island, New York, respectively. The "Yoncé" video directed by Ricky Saiz and features fellow models Joan Smalls and Chanel Iman. The video was inspired by the 1990 David Fincher video for "Freedom" by George Michael, which also featured models, such as Naomi Campbell. The "XO" video was directed by Terry Richardson and features Dunn alongside Jessica White and Diandra Forres
She has one child, Riley, a boy, born 8 December 2009 in London. She had been with her boyfriend, the baby's father, for five years  before he was arrested for dealing cocaine two months after her son was born. Riley has been diagnosed with Sickle-cell disease.
Jourdan divides her time between her homes in London and New York City. She's friends with fellow models, Joan Smalls, Chanel Iman, Anais Mali, Cara Delevingne and Karlie Kloss, who is godmother to her son Riley.
- "Women Management portfolio". womenmanagement.com. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Jourdan Dunn". New York. Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- Marrin, Minette (11 March 2008). "Jourdan Dunn is the colour of money". The Sunday Times (London). Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- "Jourdan Dunn". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- Wilson, Julee. "Jourdan Dunn's MAJOR New Gig". Huffington Post.
- Jones, Dolly (14 September 2007). "A New Star from Storm". Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- "Catching Up with Jourdan Dunn". Teen Vogue. 8 September 2008. Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- Bumpus, Jessica (6 October 2008). "The New Vogue". Retrieved 4 December 2008.
- Keltner, Jane. "Double Whammy". teenvogue.com. Retrieved 2009-10-12.
- British Fashions | London Olympics Closing Ceremony
- Olympic Closing Ceremony | Fashion Shoot
- Cover Story | Jourdan Dunn: Thy Will be Dunn
- "Jourdan model of the year". The Scotsman (Edinburgh). 27 November 2008. Retrieved 5 January 2009.
- "Rita Ora toughens up her look with a grillâ¦ while Jourdan Dunn shows she's the golden girl in sheer dress as they change for awards afterparty". Daily Mail (London).
- "You've got nice t*ts: Jourdan Dunn reveals that Justin Bieber flirted with her after she accidently(sic) flashed him". Daily Mail (London).
- Busis, Hillary (24 December 2013). "Beyonce gets down with grills and girls in new 'Yonce' video -- WATCH". http://music-mix.ew.com/. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Moss, Hilary (26 February 2010). "Jourdan Dunn's Baby's Father Arrested For Dealing Cocaine: Report". Huffington Post.
- Moss, Hilary (28 March 2011). "Jourdan Dunn Opens Up About Son's Illness, Being A Single Mother". Huffington Post.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jourdan Dunn.|
- Style.com Photos of Jourdan Dunn
- Harper's Bazaar interview with Jourdan Dunn
- Jourdan Dunn at the Fashion Model Directory