|Born||Michael S. Stuhlbarg
July 5, 1968
Long Beach, California, U.S.
The Juilliard School (BFA 1992)University of California, Los Angeles UCLA Film school
Michael S. Stuhlbarg (born July 5, 1968) is an American theatre, film, and television actor. He is best known for portraying organized crime boss Arnold Rothstein in the HBO series Boardwalk Empire, as well as troubled 1960s university professor Larry Gopnik in the Coen brothers' 2009 dark comedy A Serious Man.
Stuhlbarg was born in Long Beach, California, the son of Susan and Mort Stuhlbarg. He was raised in Reform Judaism. He trained at The Juilliard School in New York City, where he was a member of the Drama Division's Group 21 (1988–1992). Stuhlbarg graduated from Juilliard with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1992.
He also studied acting at the University of California at Los Angeles, the Vilnius Conservatory in Lithuania, the British American Drama Academy at Oxford, and the National Youth Theatre of Great Britain at the University of London. He studied mime with Marcel Marceau at the World Centre.
Stuhlbarg became a theater actor appearing in several productions including award winning performances in Old Wicked Songs in 1996, Long Day's Journey into Night in 1997 and a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play for The Pillowman in 2005 (for which he also received his first Tony Award nomination).
He has appeared in a number of television shows including Law & Order, Ugly Betty and The American Experience. Since 2010, he has appeared as organized crime boss Arnold Rothstein in the HBO series Boardwalk Empire.
His film credits had been limited to a handful of minor roles, including a lawyer in Ridley Scott's Body of Lies and a hedge fund consultant in Sophie Barthes' Cold Souls, until his first lead role in the Coen brothers' 2009 dark comedy A Serious Man, as the troubled 1960s university professor Larry Gopnik for which he was a Golden Globe-nominee.
- According to the State of California. California Birth Index, 1905–1995. Center for Health Statistics, California Department of Health Services, Sacramento, California. Searchable at http://www.familytreelegends.com/records/39461
- Wloszczyna, Susan (October 11, 2009). "Michael Stuhlbarg: Coen brothers get their 'Serious Man'". USA Today. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "Michael Stuhlbarg". Broadway.com. Retrieved September 16, 2009.
- Grosz, Christy (September 13, 2009). "The Coens found Michael Stuhlbarg to be 'A Serious Man'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 14, 2009.
- "Alumni News". The Juilliard School. September 2007. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11.
- "Michael Stuhlbarg". Back Stage. September 3, 1999.
- "Cast and Crew – Michael Stuhlbarg". FilmInFocus.com. Retrieved September 14, 2009.
- "Sony Pictures Classics Acquires Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine". Sony Pictures. January 8, 2013. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- Michael Stuhlbarg at the Internet Movie Database
- Michael Stuhlbarg at the Internet Broadway Database
- Michael Stuhlbarg at AllRovi