Malek in August 2007
|Born||Rami Said Malek
May 12, 1981
Los Angeles, California, United States
Rami Said Malek (born May 12, 1981) is an American actor. He is best known for his role as the gay teenage next-door-neighbor, "Kenny" on the FOX comedy series The War at Home; for his role as Merriell "Snafu" Shelton in the HBO miniseries The Pacific; and for his role as the pharaoh Ahkmenrah in the feature films Night at the Museum, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, and Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb. He also played Benjamin in the final installment of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn.
Malek was born in Los Angeles, California, of Egyptian descent, and has an identical twin brother named Sami who is four minutes younger than he is. Malek attended Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, California and received his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the University of Evansville in Evansville, Indiana.
In 2004, Malek began his acting career with guest-starring roles on several notable television series including Gilmore Girls, Over There, and Medium, as well as voicing "additional characters" for the video game Halo 2 (for which he was uncredited). In 2005, he was cast as the prominent recurring role of "Kenny", the gay teenage next-door-neighbor on the FOX comedy series The War at Home.
In 2006, Malek made his feature film debut as Pharaoh Ahkmenrah in the comedy Night at the Museum and reprised his role in the sequels Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009) and Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014). In the spring of 2007 he appeared onstage as "Jamie" in the Vitality Productions theatrical presentation of Keith Bunin's The Credeaux Canvas at the Elephant Theatre in Los Angeles.
In 2010 Malek returned to television in a recurring role as the Egyptian American suicide bomber Marcos Al-Zacar on the 8th season of the Fox series 24. Later that same year, he received critical acclaim for his portrayal of Corporal Merriell "Snafu" Shelton on the Emmy Award-winning HBO World War II mini-series The Pacific.
During filming of The Pacific, Malek met executive producer Tom Hanks, who was impressed with his performance and would later cast him as college student Steve Dibiasi in the feature film Larry Crowne, released in July 2011. In August 2010 it was announced that Malek had been cast as the Egyptian vampire, "Benjamin", in the final installment of the popular Twilight franchise, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn.
Malek has been cast in the lead role in the upcoming USA Network hacker drama "Mr. Robot". The show will be executive produced Sam Esmail (Comet) and Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin (True Detective) and Chad Hamilton (Breakup at a Wedding). It is set to premiere in 2016.
|2006||Night at the Museum||King Ahkmenrah|
|2009||Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian||King Ahkmenrah|
|2011||Larry Crowne||Steve Dibiasi|
|2012||The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2||Benjamin|
|2013||Ain't Them Bodies Saints||Will|
|2013||Short Term 12||Nate|
|2014||Need for Speed||Finn|
|2014||Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb||King Ahkmenrah|
|2004||Gilmore Girls||Andy||One episode|
|2005||Over There||Hassan||Two episodes|
|Medium||Timothy Kercher||One episode|
|2005–2007||The War At Home||Kenny||21 episodes|
|2010||24||Marcos Al-Zacar||Three episodes|
|The Pacific||Merriell "Snafu" Shelton||Six episodes|
|2012||Alcatraz||Webb Porter||One episode|
|2012||The Legend of Korra||Tahno (voice only)||Three episodes|
|2014||Believe||Doctor Adam Terry|
|2016||Mr. Robot||Elliot||Main role|
|2004||Halo 2||Additional voices||Uncredited|
- "California Births, 1905–1995". Family Tree Legends. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- "Interview with Rami Malek of "The War At Home"". AfterElton.com. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Rami Malek Matures With War Role". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "The Verge: Rami Malek". Movie Line. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Rami & Sami Malek.jpg". Robin Platzer/Twin Images. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "IMDb – Rami Malek". IMDb.com. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Interview with Rami Malek of "The War At Home"". Starry Constellation Magazine. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "The Credeaux Canvas". Backstage. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Interview: Rami Malek – The Pacific". Entertainment Focus. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "'The Pacific' star Rami Malek has friends in high places". Cineplex.com. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Q&A With Actor Rami Malek – 'The Pacific'". Criticize This!. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "'Breaking Dawn' Casting News: Rami Malek To Play Benjamin". MTV.com: Hollywood Crush. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Rami Malek Joins Summit's 'Twilight' Sequel 'Breaking Dawn'". The Wrap. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Rami Malek joins 'Breaking Dawn'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "USA Picks Up Computer Hacking Drama Pilot ‘Mr. Robot'". variety.com. Retrieved July 14, 2014.