Miss Bhutan is a national beauty pageant held annually in the Kingdom of Bhutan. Miss Bhutan is organized and produced by MPC Bhutan Entertainment, a film production company based in Thimphu, the capital city of Bhutan.
On October 10, 2008, the Miss Bhutan Organization, also known as MPC Bhutan Entertainment, organized and launched the first Miss Bhutan beauty pageant. The Founding President of Miss Bhutan Organization is Karma Tshering.
The selection of the Miss Bhutan finalists and eventually the winner of the pageant is based on the decision of a panel of judges on the performance and physical attributes of the candidates and not by public voting system. The winner of Miss Bhutan receives a cash prize of Nu 100,000. The Miss Bhutan crown, designed in India, is worth another Nu 100,000.
The reigning Miss Bhutan represents the country in the international Miss Earth beauty pageant. Although there was no swimsuit round in the actual Miss Bhutan contest, the winner is trained in an enclosed area for the swimsuit competition in preparation for the international Miss Earth competition.
In the first edition of the pageant, 77 contestants from across Bhutan registered for the Miss Bhutan 2008, but only 20 contestants were short listed in the main event after the preliminary round.
On November 9, 2008, Miss Bhutan 2008 Tsoki Tsomo Karchung participated in the 8th edition of Miss Earth beauty pageant, which was held at the Clark Expo Amphitheater in Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines. Eighty-five delegates arrived from October 19, 2008 in the Philippines. The pageant was won by Karla Henry from the Philippines.
List of winners
|Year||Winner||1st Runner Up||2nd Runner Up|
|2008||Tsokye Tsomo Karchung||Shelkar Choden||Tshering Pem|
|2010||Sonam Choden Retty||Kinley Yangden Dorji||Tenzin Norden|
Miss Bhutan 2008
The grand finale of Miss Bhutan 2008 was held on 10 October 2008 in the YDF Auditorium, the nations’s biggest auditorium hall.
The pageant was judged by seven distinguished personalities including two international judges, Kelly Dorji, actor/model popular in Bollywood Film Industry and Charm Osathanond, Miss Thailand 2006.
Miss Tshoki Tshomo Karchung, 24, was crowned as the first ever Miss Bhutan 2008. She also took the title of Miss Photogenic and Miss Talent. Shelkar Choden took the 1st runners up prize and Tshering Pem took the 2nd runner up prize.
Miss Bhutan represented Bhutan in Miss Earth 2008, Miss Young International in Taiwan, and Miss Safari 2008 in Kenya. The finals had five rounds - traditional dress round, evening gown round using Bhutanese textiles, express yourself round, talent round and Q A round, but there was no swimsuit round.
The Bhutan Information Communication and Media Authority (BICMA), Bhutan's media regulatory body did not allow the contest to use the Gross National Happiness tag, as they believed its use didn't correspond with beauty contests.
Miss Bhutan 2008 contestants list
|Name||Age||Height (cm)||Height (ft)||Hometown|
|Wangchuk Dema||18||171.5||5' 7.5"||Samdrup Jongkhar|
|Ugyen Dema||19||180.5||5' 11"||Thimpu|
|Tsokye Tsomo Karchung||24||173||5' 8"||Thimpu|
|Tshering Zangmo||22||169.5||5' 6.5"||Mongar|
|Tshering Yangzom||20||170.5||5' 7"||Trashigang|
|Tshering Pem||19||175.5||5' 9"||Trashigang|
|Tashi Pelden||20||175||5' 9"||Wangdue|
|Shelkar Choden||24||178||5' 10"||Trongsa|
|Nima Sangay||23||167||5' 5.5"||Thimpu|
|Pema Yeshi||21||171||5' 7.5"||Bumthang|
|Ngawang Choden||23||175||5' 9"||Wangdue|
|Neljor Wangmo||18||164.5||5' 4.5"||Lhuntse|
|Kinga Wangmo||19||181||5' 11.5"||Paro|
|Kinga Om||18||163.5||5' 4"||Thimpu|
|Kezang Chhoden||18||167.5||5' 5.5"||Thimpu|
|Karma Zam||22||176||5' 9.5"||Paro|
|Karma Choki||19||166.5||5' 5.5"||Samdrup Jongkhar|
|Jamyang Zangmo||26||167.5||5' 5.5"||Trashigang|
|Deki Choden Namgyel||25||164||5' 4.5"||Trashigang|
|Miss Bhutan 2008||
|Miss Beautiful Smile||
|Best Model in Traditional Dress||
- Garcia, Cecile (2008-10-11). "Twenty women vied for top honours at the first Miss Bhutan beauty pageant". The Times of India. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Atlas of the World, Travel & Cultures (2004-01-01). "Bhutan Facts". National Geographic. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- "Tshokey Tshomo crowned first Miss Bhutan". The Times of India. 2008-10-13. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Hunt for Miss Bhutan takes off". Bhutan Times. 2008-04-30. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Hunt on for first Miss Bhutan". The Hindu. 2008-07-28. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Tsokey A crowining glory or an incongruous crown?". Bhutan Observer. 2008-04-26. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- "Tshokey Tshomo crowned first Miss Bhutan". DNA: India, Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. 2008-10-13. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Subba, Tanka Raj (2008-10-15). "What next for Miss Bhutan?". Bhutan Times: The People's Paper. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Favila, Aaron (2008-09-16). "Filipinas recebem concurso da Miss Terra 2008". The Associated Press and Globo. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Berioso, Noli (2008-09-16). "The 8th Wonder of The Earth Begins". The OPMB Worldwide. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Adina, Armin (2008-11-10). "RP bet crowned Ms Earth 2008". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2009-04-11.
- Hua, Liu (2008-11-10). "Miss Philippines wins Miss Earth 2008 pageant". Xinhua/Tian Shan Net, China. Retrieved 2009-04-11.[dead link]
- "Tsokey Tsomo crowned Miss Bhutan 2008". Kuensel online. 2008-10-11. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- "Miss Bhutan – Not a GNH brand ambassador". Kuensel online. 2008-07-18. Retrieved 2008-10-14.