Miss Universe 2006
|Miss Universe 2006|
|Date||July 23, 2006|
|Presenters||Nancy O'Dell, Carlos Ponce, Carson Kressley, Shandi Finnessey|
|Entertainment||Chelo, Vittorio Grigolo|
|Venue||Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Withdraws||Barbados, Belize, Curaçao, Italy, Kenya, Netherlands, Vietnam|
|Returns||Argentina, Cayman Islands, Estonia, Ghana, Iceland, New Zealand, Northern Marianas, St. Lucia, St. Martin, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Sweden|
|Best National Costume||Kurara Chibana
Miss Universe 2006, the 55th Miss Universe pageant, took place at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, USA. Unlike past events, it was broadcast live on NBC on a Sunday, July 23, 2006, almost two months later than usual. The pageant was co-hosted by Nancy O'Dell and Carlos Ponce.
Kazakhstan was represented for the first time, while the following countries returned after some years of absence: St. Lucia (1977), Iceland (1997), St. Martin (2000), Northern Marianas (2002), Argentina (2003), New Zealand (2003), Estonia (2004), Ghana (2004), St. Vincent & Grenadines (2004), and Sweden (2004).
Glebova's reign would be the longest ever in Miss Universe history up to that point: 1 year and 2 months (until Leila Lopes, Miss Universe 2011, who reigned for 1 year and 98 days). Rivera currently holds the shortest completed reign at 10 months.
- 1 Results
- 2 Judges
- 3 Background Music
- 4 Contestants
- 5 National competitions
- 6 Crossovers
- 7 International broadcasting
- 8 References
- 9 External links
|Miss Universe 2006|
|Best National Costume|
Order of announcements
The following celebrities judged the final competition.
- James Lesure - Actor from NBC's Las Vegas.
- Claudia Jordan - Model for Deal or No Deal; former Miss Rhode Island USA (1997) and Miss Rhode Island Teen USA (1990).
- Sean Yazbeck - Winner of season 5 of The Apprentice.
- Amelia Vega - Miss Universe 2003 from Dominican Republic
- Emmitt Smith - Former Dallas Cowboys player and Dancing with the Stars winner.
- Marc Cherry - American writer and producer.
- Tom Green - Actor and comedian.
- María Celeste Arrarás - Telemundo host.
- Patrick McMullan - Fashion photographer.
- Bridgette Wilson-Sampras - Actress and Miss Teen USA 1990.
- Santino Rice - Project Runway finalist.
Note: Actress Bo Derek was scheduled to be a judge but was later replaced.
- Swimsuit Competition: "Cha Cha" by Chelo (Live Performance)
- Evening Gown Competition: "Bedshaped (Cosi)" by Vittorio Grigolo (Live Performance)
Did not compete
These are some of the networks outside the United States (telecasted on NBC and Telemundo) that showed the 2006 Miss Universe pageant live (or recorded earlier) in their respective countries and territories: