Miss Philippines Earth
Logo of the Miss Philippines Earth Pageant
|Motto||Beauties for a Cause|
|Key people||Lorraine Schuck (Executive Vice President)
Peachy O. Veneracion (Vice President & Project Director)
The Miss Philippines Earth, originally called "Miss Philippines" in its early years, is a Filipino national beauty pageant held annually in search of the most beautiful and environmentally-friendly woman in the Philippines. Miss Philippines Earth is the largest and most widely participated beauty pageant in the Philippines with 50 official candidates.
The reigning titleholders dedicate their year to promote environmental projects and to address issues concerning the environment. They also serve as spokesperson for the Miss Earth Foundation, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and other environmental organizations. The grand winner will represent Philippines in Miss Earth pageant.
The beauty pageant's current titleholder is Jamie Herrell who represented Cebu City.
In the first quarter of 2001, Carousel Productions relinquished the franchise for both Mutya ng Pilipinas (Beauty of the Philippines) and Miss Asia Pacific International beauty contests and decided to establish a beauty pageant whose cause is to have its candidates and winners actively promote and get involved in the preservation of the environment and the protection of Mother Earth. As a result, Miss Philippines (currently called Miss Philippines Earth) and Miss Earth pageants were established.
Miss Philippines beauty pageant was formally launched in a press conference on April 3, 2001 with the search of a delegate to represent Philippines in the international Miss Earth pageant. The pageant tied up with the Philippine government agencies such as the Philippine Department of Tourism (DoT), Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), and at least two international environmental groups such as the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the American Global Release to further its environmental advocacy.
The pageant contestants are called "Beauties for a Cause." The competition includes swimsuit competition, long gown parade, talent competition, but more weight is given to personality and also to ecological and environmental intelligence in the interview portion.
In 2006, Carousel Productions opened the contest to Filipina women of foreign ancestry, or from those living abroad such as Australia, France, Germany, United Arab Emirates and the United States.
In 2008, Miss Philippines-Earth broadened its coverage to include candidates from various provinces, cities, and municipalities. The decision to transform Miss Philippines Earth in a larger-scale was made to further the cause of Miss Philippines Earth and with more participants involved, Carousel Productions would be able to reach more people and communities involved in its environmental advocacy.
Carousel Production previously held beauty contest in 12 Regions of the Philippines from 2001–2007, through its local franchises. The winners of those contest in turn competed with 12 more contestants from the National Capital Region for the coveted title.
In 2006, Carousel Production opened the contest to Filipina women of foreign ancestry, or living abroad. In 2008, Miss Philippines-Earth broaden its coverage to various provinces, cities, municipalities to send in their candidate.
From 2007- 2008, the first runner-up or Miss Air, was officially designated the Miss Philippines Tourism Queen International (MTQI) title and competed at Miss Tourism Queen International pageant. However, starting 2009, the Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism titleholder represents the Philippines in the Miss Tourism Queen International pageant.
In 2009, it was also declared that the four elemental court of the Miss Philippines Earth winner namely: Miss Philippines- Air, Miss Philippines- Water, Miss Philippines- Fire, and Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism are all equal winners and the remaining five finalists that failed to advance in the top five are the runners up of the pageant.
Awards and titles
|Number of Wins|
|Miss Tourism Queen International||1||2006|
Just like in Miss Earth pageant, the winner of the beauty contest is bestowed the title Miss Philippines Earth; her runner ups are also given titles named after the other natural elements:Miss Philippines Eco Tourism (fourth runner-up), Miss Philippines Fire (equivalent to third runner-up), Miss Philippines Water (second runner-up), and Miss Philippines Air (first runner-up). Miss Earth is the only one of the "Big Four" pageants which have individual titles for the runners-up. In 2009, Carousel Productions, the organizer of Miss Philippines Earth, changed the ranking of the runners up and winners. The judges now select 10 finalists to compete for the top five. The top five then vie for the grand crown (Miss Philippines Earth) and the four other equal crowns. The remaining five finalists who fail to advance in the top five serve as the runners up of the pageant.
- Color keys
1 Age at time of Miss Philippines Earth pageant
- Color keys
|Year||Miss Philippines Earth||Miss Philippines Air||Miss Philippines Water||Miss Philippines Fire||Miss Philippines Eco Tourism|
|2001||Carlene Aguilar||Maria del Carmen Antigua||Anjelly Gamboa||Marites Orjalesa||Gemma Gatdula|
|2002||April Ross Perez||Justine Vinluan Gabionza||Gina Ritter||Sheryll Anne Ducusin||Honeylet Christine Gascon|
|2003||Laura Marie Dunlap||Evangeline Natalie S. Tarin||Sheryl Lou Franco||Lesley Jean Samson||Mary Joyce Garcia|
|2004||Tamera Marie Lagac Szijarto||Nadia C. Camolli||Jasmin Chua||Sheila Margrethe Alonso||Keithley Anne Campos|
|2005||Genebelle Raagas||Nadia Lee Cien dela Cruz Shami||Arleine Villanueva||Antonette Stephanie Yu||April Lynn Villanueva|
|2006||Catherine Yu Untalan||Ginger Ann Conejero||Katrina Grace Rigets||Francis Dianne Cervantes||Reena Rae Sarmiento|
|2007||Jeanne Angeles Harn||Krystle Ann Gonzalez Dizon-Grant||Joyce Nocomura||Sarah Katrina Miñoza||Anna Katrina Bautista|
|2008||Karla Paula Henry||Marie Razel Triff Eguia||Marian Michelle Oblea||Ma. Kristelle Lazaro||Maria Venus Raj|
|2009||Sandta Inez Seifert||Michelle Martha Braun||Catherine Loyola||Patricia Tumulak||Grezilda Adelantar|
|2010||Kris Psyche Resus||Renee Rosario McHugh||Emmerie Dale Cunanan||Gwennaelle Ruais||Angela Lauren Fernando|
|2011||Athena Mae Imperial||Jonavi Raisa Quiray||Murielle Adrienne Orais||Michelle Gavagan||Mary Denisse Toribio|
|2012||Stephany Dianne Stefanowitz||Glennifer Perido||Samantha Purvor||Thoreen Halvorsen||Mary Candice Ramos|
|2013||Angelee Claudette delos Reyes||Nancy Leonard||Alma Cabasal||Athina Karla Chia||Bernadette Mae Aguirre|
|2014||Jamie Herrell||Diane Carmela Querrer||Kimberly Covert||Maria Paula Bianca Paz||Monique Teruelle Manuel|
^1 Note: The years 2009 and 2010 editions, the Miss Philippines Earth remained the grand title of the event, but the four other titles i.e., Miss Philippines- Air, Miss Philippines- Water, Miss Philippines- Fire, and Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism are all equal winners. The remaining five finalists in the top 10 that failed to advance in the top five are the runners up of the pageant. ^2 Note: By 2011, it reverted back to its original order with Miss Air as the runner-up or 2nd place, followed by Miss Water, Miss Fire, and Miss Eco-Tourism as 3rd, 4th and 5th placings, respectively
|Year||Miss PAGCOR International Tourism Ambassadress|
|Year||Miss Science and Technology|
- In its formative years, the pageant was simply known as Miss Philippines, but to avoid confusion with another Philippine national pageant of the same name, Binibining Pilipinas (which direct English translation is Miss Philippines, and is responsible for selecting representatives to Miss Universe, Miss International and Miss Supranational pageants), the name was changed to Miss Philippines Earth.
- This pageant has no connection to the original "Miss Philippines" pageants of the early 1950s.
- Miss Philippines (Earth) 2001, Carlene Aguilar, joined Binibining Pilipinas in 2005, and won the Bb. Pilipinas World title. She represented the Philippines in the Miss World pageant where she was a semi-finalist.
- Justine Gabionza, Miss Philippines-Air 2002, represented the Philippines at the 2006 Miss Tourism Queen International and ultimately claimed the title.
- Sheila Margrethe Alonso, Miss Philippines-Fire 2005, was appointed and represented the Philippines at the Miss Tourism Queen International 2005, placing as one of the 12 semifinalists.
- Miss Philippines-Air 2005, Nadia Lee Cien Shami, joined Binibining Pilipinas 2007 and won the Bb. Pilipinas International title and represented the Philippine delegate in the Miss International 2007.
- Karla Paula Henry, Miss Philippines Earth 2008 and Ma. Kristelle Lazaro, Miss Philippines Fire 2008 competed at Binibining Pilipinas 2008 where they were unplaced.
- Stephen McCormick from Wildwave.com Ireland is the first ever international judge in Miss Philippines-Earth history. Mr Mccormick is also a Shareholder in Asian music TV station IAMtv.
- Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism 2008, Maria Venus Raj, Joined Binibining Pilipinas 2010 and won the Bb. Pilipinas-Universe, she represented the country for Miss Universe 2010 in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA and placed 4th runner-up.
- A delegate in Miss Philippines Earth 2012, Ariella Arida from Alaminos, Laguna, who went unplaced, later joined Binibining Pilipinas 2013 and won the Miss Universe Philippines title. She represented the country for Miss Universe 2013 in Moscow, Russia and placed 3rd runner-up.
Miss Earth performance
Below are the complete names of the annual titleholders of Miss Philippines Earth, listed in ascending order and according to the year in which they participated in Miss Earth, their height and age during their national crowning and their final placement in the aforementioned international pageant after their participation.
- Color key
- Declared as Miss Earth
- Ended as runner-up in Miss Earth
- Ended as one of the top finalists/ semifinalists in Miss Earth
|Year||Delegate||Hometown||Placement in Miss Earth||Other awards|
|2001||Carlene Ang Aguilar||Manila||Top 10 Semi-Finalist (7th Place)||Best in Long Gown|
|2002||April Ross Lim Perez||Zamboanga City||Top 10 Semi-Finalist (6th Place)||Miss Photogenic|
|2003||Laura Marie Mercado Dunlap||Central Luzon||Top 10 Semi-Finalist (8th Place)||None|
|2004||Tamera Marie Lagac Szijarto||Manila||Top 8 Finalist (5th Place)||None|
|2005||Genebelle Francisco Raagas||Manila||Top 16 Semi-Finalist (8th Place)||None|
|2006||Catherine Yu Untalan||Manila||Miss Earth Water 2006||None|
|2007||Jeanne Angeles Harn||Rizal||Did not place||Miss Photogenic|
|2008||Karla Paula Ginteroy Henry||Cebu City||Miss Earth 2008||Miss Photogenic|
|2009||Sandra Inez Suravilla Seifert||Negros Occidental||Miss Earth Air 2009||Best in Long Gown
Best in Swimsuit
|2010||Kris Psyche Orozco Resus||Infanta, Quezon||Did not place||None|
|2011||Athena Mae Duarte Imperial||Casiguran, Aurora||Miss Earth Water 2011||Darling of the Press|
|2012||Stephany Dianne Damondamon Stefanowitz||Quezon City, Metro Manila||Miss Earth Air 2012||Darling of the Press|
|2013||Angelee Claudette Francisco delos Reyes||Olongapo City||Top 8 Finalist||Miss Eco Tourism|
|2014||Jamie Herrell||Cebu City||TBD||TBD|
Miss Tourism Queen International representatives
Miss Philippines Earth Organization (Carousel Productions) held the franchise for Miss Tourism Queen International (MTQI) pageant from 2005 until 2009. There were no international pageant in 2010. The franchise is currently under the management of BPCI (Bb. Pilipinas Charities, Inc.) effective in 2011.
The following is the list of the Miss Tourism Queen International Philippines titleholders and their placements:
- Color key
- Declared as Miss Tourism Queen International
- Ended as runner-up in Miss Tourism Queen International
- Ended as one of the top finalists/ semifinalists in Miss Tourism Queen International
|Year||Delegate||National Title||Placement in Miss Tourism Queen International||Other awards|
|2004||Charisma 'Charisse' Agasid Ocrisma||2003 MTV Fashionista 2nd runner-up (Apptd)||Unplaced||Miss Bikini|
|2005||Sheila Margrethe Aguilar Alonso||Miss Philippines Fire 2004 (Apptd)||Top 12 Semifinalist||Best Smile|
|2006||Justine Vinluan Gabionza||Miss Philippines Air 2002 (Apptd)||Miss Tourism Queen Int'l 2006||Asia's Queen|
|2007||Annemarie Rose Santos Jebb||Miss Philippines Earth 2007 Top 10 Semifinalist (Apptd)||Unplaced||None|
|2008||Krystle Ann Gonzalez Dizon-Grant||Miss Philippines Air 2007||Unplaced||None|
|2009||Marie Razel Triff Eguia||Miss Philippines Air 2008||Unplaced||3rd Place Best in Evening Gown|
|2010||Grezilda Ennis Adelantar||Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism 2009 / 1st runner-up||Miss Tourism Queen International 2010 cancelled|
- Grezilda Ennis Adelantar, Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism 2009/Miss PAGCOR (1st runner-up/Vice Miss) and Miss Philippines -Tourism Queen International 2009-2010 titleholder will represent the Philippines at the 2010 Miss Tourism Queen International in China in August 2010. Grezilda or Adie is the first Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism tileholder to be designated the Miss TQI-Philippines title after placing 1st runner-up/Vice Miss at the recently concluded Miss Earth Philippines 2009 pageant won by Sandra Inez Seifert. The placement of the 4 runners-up were interchanged making Miss Eco-Tourism as 1st runner-up/Vice Miss, Miss Fire as 2nd runner-up, Miss Air as 3rd runner-up, and Miss Water as 4th runner-up.
- Marie Razel Eguia, Miss Philippines Air 2008 (1st runner-up/Vice Miss) and Miss Tourism Queen International-Philippines 2008-2009 titleholder will represent the Philippines at the 2009 Miss Tourism Queen International to be held in China on August 30. Razel is the 2nd officially designated-Miss Tourism Queen International-Philippines titleholder after placing as Miss Air/first runner-up or Vice Miss at the 2008 Miss Philippines Earth pageant.
- Krystle Ann Dizon, Miss Philippines Air 2007 (1st runner-up/Vice Miss) was "officially-designated" the Miss Philippines Tourism Queen International 2007-2008 title and represented the Philippines at the 2008 Miss Tourism Queen International held in China on April 12 but was unplaced. Krystle is the "very first" officially designated-Miss Philippines Tourism Queen International titleholder after placing as Miss Air/first runner-up at the 2007 Miss Philippines Earth pageant. This year's Miss Air/first runner-up will automatically be "designated-Miss Philippines Tourism Queen International 2008-2009." Miss Air/first runner-up will represent the Philippines at the 2009 Miss Tourism Queen International pageant which will be held in China in August 2009.
- Annemarie Rose Jebb, Miss Earth Philippines 2007 Top 10 semifinalist, was appointed and represented the Philippines at the 2007 Miss Tourism Queen International but was unplaced.
- Ginger Ann Conejero, Miss Philippines-Air 2006 (1st runner-up/Vice Miss), was appointed and represented the Philippines at the 2007 Miss Global Beauty Queen Pageant first-hand but was unplaced; she was unable to compete at the 2007 Miss Tourism Queen International due to schedule conflict as a TV reporter for ABS-CBN. She was replaced by Annemarie Rose Jebb, Top 10 semifinalist Miss Earth Philippines 2007.
- Justine Gabionza, Miss Philippines-Air 2002 (1st Runner-Up/Vice Miss), was appointed and represented the Philippines at the 2006 Miss Tourism Queen International and ultimately claimed the title.
- Sheila Margrethe Alonso, Miss Philippines-Fire 2005 (3rd runner-up), was appointed and represented the Philippines at the Miss Tourism Queen International 2005, placing one of the 12 semifinalists.
- Charisma 'Charisse' Ocrisma, ramp model & MTV Fashionista 2003 2nd runner-up was appointed and represented the Philippines at the Miss Tourism Queen International 2004 but was unplaced.
Table of the top rankings for the Miss Earth pageant, based on all results from the first to the most recent event. From 2001 to 2009 the delegates represented their regions.
|Rank||Regions||Miss Philippines Earth||Miss Philippines Air||Miss Philippines Water||Miss Philippines Fire||Miss Philippines Eco Tourism|
|1||National Capital Region||5||3||3||4||1|
Administrative division tally
If the delegates in the past years representing their regions, Starting 2008, they proudly carrying the flag of either their province, their city or their municipality, and other Filipino communities abroad. This year delegates from Germany, France and two from the US were represented.
|Rank||Municipality/City/Province/Overseas Filipino Community||Miss Philippines Earth||Miss Philippines Air||Miss Philippines Water||Miss Philippines Fire||Miss Philippines Eco Tourism||Semifinals|
|3||Province of Negros Occidental||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|6||Puerto Princesa City||0||1||0||1||0||0|
|7||Filipino Community of USA East Coast||0||1||0||0||0||2|
|8||Tanauan City, BATANGAS||0||1||0||0||0||0|
|8||Province of Aklan||0||1||0||0||0||0|
|11||San Juan City||0||0||1||0||0||0|
|11||Filipino Community of Sydney, Australia||0||0||1||0||0||0|
|16||Filipino Community of France||0||0||0||1||0||1|
|17||Las Piñas City||0||0||0||1||0||0|
|25||Province of Bataan||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||Filipino Community of Belgium||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||Province of Bulacan||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||Filipino Community of Canada||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||General Santos City||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||City of Manila||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||Province of Negros Oriental||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||San Francisco, Cebu||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||San Jose del Monte||0||0||0||0||0||1|
|25||Filipino Community of USA West Coast||0||0||0||0||0||1|
- Binibining Pilipinas
- Miss Philippines Earth
- Miss World Philippines
- Mutya ng Pilipinas
- International Beauty Pageant Ranking
- Philippines at major beauty pageants
- Philippines at 2nd tier beauty pageants
- Philippines at 3rd tier beauty pageants
- Philippines at 4th tier beauty pageants
- Philippines at major male pageants
- News, Entertainment (2009-05-11). "NegOcc beauty queen is Miss Philippines Earth 2009". ABS-CBN Interactive. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- Schuck, Lorraine (2008-06-05). "About Miss Philippines: Beauty Pageant with a Cause". Miss Philippines Earth official website. Retrieved 2009-01-02.
- Online News, ABS_CBN (2009-05-11). "NegOcc beauty queen is Miss Philippines Earth 2009". ABS-CBN Network. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- Adina, Armin (2008-05-13). "Second time a charm for new Miss Earth". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- Jojo, DJ Mojo (2008-05-17). "Mother’s Day for Mother Earth". The Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2008-12-31.[dead link]
- News Online, Reuters (2004-10-08). "Contestants of Miss Earth 2004 beauty pageant". The Tribune India. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Borja, Tessa (2007-10-17). "Jennifer Neves is Miss Earth Guam". Marianas Variety News, Guam Edition. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- Lo, Ricardo F. (2001-04-03). "Two new RP Beauty Contests Coming Up". Philippine Headline News/Philippine Star. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Xinhua News, Online (2001-08-29). "Philippines to Host Miss Earth 2001 Beauty Contest". Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Barawid, Rachel Castro (2001-10-11). "35 beauties vying for Miss Earth title". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Barawid, Rachel (2001-10-30). "Danish student wins 1st Miss Earth title". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Soul, John (2009-04-03). "Miss Philippines Earth 2009: The Beauty with a Cause Pageant". Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- ABS-CBN News, Online (2009-05-11). "NegOcc beauty queen is Miss Philippines Earth 2009". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- Adina, Armin (2009-05-12). "2 Negrense beauties top pageant". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- News, Manila (23 May 2011). "Ten Finalists of Miss Philippines Earth 2011 Revealed, Finals on June 5". The Manila Paper. Retrieved 5 February 2012.