|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)|
|Traded as||BSE: 532798
|Key people||Raghav Bahl
Controlling shareholder & Managing Director
|Products||Televisions, prints, magazines, internet, films, mobile computing, allied, e-commerce|
|Revenue||20.76 billion (US$320 million) (2012)|
|Employees||Approx. 4700 (2010)|
Network18 Media & Investments Limited (BSE: 532798, NSE: Network18) is an Indian mass media company with interests in television, print, internet, film, mobile content and allied businesses. Network 18 FinCap is the holding company for several media entities in India such as Television Eighteen India Ltd (TV18), HomeShop18,IBN 18 Broadcast Ltd, Web 18, Studio 18, Shop 18, Infomedia 18, and Viacom 18.
The company was incorporated as a private limited company on 16 February 1996. In 2006, it was converted to a public limited company. The name of the company was changed from SGA Finance & Management Services Private Limited to Network 18 Fincap Private Limited with effect from 12 April 2006. Network 18 got listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange on 2 February 2007.The shares of the company of face value of Rs 5 each opened at Rs 312.10 at the NSE and at Rs 300 at the BSE. Since the company was created as part of the re-structuring of TV18 to comply with foreign ownership laws for news channels in India, it did not have to list through a public issue.
- TV18 is a listed company which runs business news channels CNBC-TV18 in English and CNBC Awaaz in Hindi and owns most of Web 18. In 2006 it acquired CRISIL Market Wire which was renamed Newswire 18.
- Network 18 holds 57% in IBN 18 Broadcast Ltd, headed by Rajdeep Sardesai, which runs general news channels CNN-IBN in English, IBN-7 in Hindi and IBN-Lokmat in Marathi in JV with Marathi newspaper Lokmat. GBN in turn owns a small stake(15%) in Web 18.
- Web18 is an unlisted umbrella company for all Network 18 web properties such as moneycontrol.com, in.com, ibnlive.com, josh18.com, cricketnext.com, commoditiescontrol.com, tech2.com, poweryourtrade.com, easymf.com, compareindia.com, First India and upcoming women's and automotive portals. The company also owns stakes in Jobstreet (India), Yatra.com and BookMyShow.com.
- Studio 18 is a newly formed division of Network 18 for film production and financing.
- HomeShop18 launched the Home-shopping television network.
- Webchutney, a digital marketing agency.
- InfoMedia 18, a media company with business Directories, Magazine Publishing, Printing Services and Publishing Outsourcing services.
- The company also owns Viacom 18,which has channel like Colors TV,MTV India,Nick India and VH1 India. Viacom 18 has plans to launch a Hindi movie channel and some regional-language channels in near future.
- Sun 18 -In 2010 it entered into JV with Sun Network to distribute its channels through cable, DTH, IPTV, HITS and MMDS.Sun18 Media Services North and South were formed. Sun 18 South focuses on the non-Hindi-speaking markets and is managed by the Sun Network.Sun 18 North focuses on the rest of Indian markets and is operated by the Network18 Group.
- Network18 publishes Forbes India, the nation's first local edition of a foreign news magazine title and one of the world’s most influential business brands, in collaboration with Forbes Media.
List of companies
- TV18, a joint venture of Network18 and NBCUniversal which is concerned with the Television business.
- Network 18, the venture which is concerned with undertaking the digital and publishing business.
Network TV channels
- CNN-IBN, JV of IBN 18 Broadcast Ltd and Turner International India
- IBN-7, an IBN 18 Broadcasting Ltd Channel
- CNBC Awaaz, JV of CNBC Asia & TV18
- CNBC-TV18, JV of CNBC Asia & TV18
- CNBC TV18 Prime HD, JV of CNBC Asia & TV18
- IBN-Lokmat, JV of Lokmat & TV18
- MTV India, a Viacom 18 channel
- Nick India, a Viacom 18 channel
- Nick Jr. India, a Viacom 18 channel
- Sonic, a Viacom 18 channel
- VH1 India, a Viacom 18 channel
- Colors, a Viacom 18 channel
- Colors HD, a Viacom 18 channel
- Comedy Central, a Viacom 18 channel
- HomeShop18, a TV18 Channel
- Topper, an Educomp 18 channel
- History TV18
- History TV18 HD
- ETV Network
- in.com, launched on 21 July 2008, in.com has news, songs, videos, games, among other media. Within a few months of its launch the site became very popular as India's leading general interest web destination.
- moneycontrol.com is Asia's largest and the world's second largest financial and business portal[peacock term]; providing real time coverage on market movements, key expert insights and discovering intrinsic dynamics between the various market participants. It has more than 1 million registered users and receives more than 150 million page views per month.
- firstpost.com – An online news website meant to be accessible across multiple digital platforms
- Bookmyshow.com – Launched in 1997, bookmyshow is an E-ticketing website.
- poweryourtrade.com Is a financial advisory portal giving investment advice, market news, and analysis to investors and traders.
- commoditiescontrol.com brings its user a deep understanding of the Indian commodity space. It has first hand information of prices from over 100 spot markets making it one of the most credible commodities information and research service provider in India.
- Cricketnext.com – Was launched in 2000, and provides the latest information on cricketing events around the globe. It has many interactive features like daily polls, celebrity chats, and forums.
- Compareindia.com provides customers free information on the product they would like to buy. The site contains 37 product categories: Audio systems, televisions, washing machines, microwave ovens, refrigerators, fax machines, photocopiers, and printers, amongst others.
- tech2.in.com Provides the news of latest happenings in the technology world. It also contains reviews of the technology products; from tablets, to smartphone, to laptops.
- homeshop18.com is a nationally televised home shopping service, which uses interactive electronic media, primarily through cable TV and internet to sell credible brands.It acquired online books, movies and music retailer Coinjoos.com,which was started in November 2009 by the Noida-based technology start-up called On-Graph Technologies, in an all-cash deal.The company has plans to discontinue the Coinjoos.com brand and merge the books business of On-Graph Technologies with Homeshop18.com.
The Network 18 Group announced a restructuring plan to create a two listed entity structure for the group in July 2010.The restructuring became effective on 10 June 2011 with the approval of the Delhi High Court and the group successfully completed the re-alignment of its business operation into 2 sections – Network 18 and TV18. Network18 undertakes the digital and publishing side of the business, TV18 will undertake the television assets of the group.
Controversy and Criticisms
Abrupt Firing of Forbes India Editor
In June, 2013, it was reported that the Forbes India editor Indrajit Gupta was fired after he refused to accept a severance package without consulting his lawyers. After the initial firing, the Managing Editor was forced to quit, and the following day, two other staff were also forced to quit due to severance issues. The Press Club, Mumbai condemned the incident. The CEO of Network18 Group said that the problems were due to the restructuring of the Network18 Group with the merger of FirstPost.com and Forbes India.
Notes and references
- "Network18 Management". Network18Online.com. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- FY 2011 Network 18
- "Network 18 Media & Investments". moneycontrol.com. Retrieved Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "Beefing Up The Bouquet". business.outlookindia.com. Retrieved Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Sun Network ties up with Network 18 to form Sun 18". Chennai, India: thehindu.com. 13 July 2010. Retrieved Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- Network18 launches Firstpost.com In.com – 9 May 2011
- "HomeShop 18 acquires CoinJoos.com". afaqs.com. Retrieved Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- "HomeShop 18 to discontinue CoinJoos brand". economictimes.com. 4 August 2011. Retrieved Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- "Restructure complete for Network 18". rapidtvnews.com. Retrieved Retrieved 10 August 2011.