Krishna Godavari Basin
Krishna-Godavari Basin is a peri-cratonic passive margin basin in India. It is spread across more than 50,000 square kilometres in the Krishna River and Godavari River basins in Andhra Pradesh. The site is known for the D-6 block where Reliance Industries discovered the biggest natural gas reserves in India in 2002.
The first gas discovery in the basin was in 1983, in Rajole Well No 1, when ONGC had a small office in Rajahmundry and Narsapur. Since that discovery Reliance and others have joined the exploration effort.
- 0.4 trillion cubic metre (14 trillion cubic feet) of gas by Reliance Industries in KG-DWN-98/l (KG-D6) in 2006. 1,800 metre (6,000 feet) below the sea floor.
- 20 trillion cubic feet (5.7×1011 m3)`cubic feet of gas by Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation in June 2005.
- Potentially 20 trillion cubic feet (5.7×1011 m3) of gas in place at D-3 and D-9 blocks, as estimated in May 2011. According to Reliance Industries: "This includes identified prospects and leads and a number of postulated prospects based on the play area and field size distribution."
- A gas discovery by ONGC in June 2009, which an anonymous company official said could have an estimated 10 trillion cubic feet (2.8×1011 m3).
The Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) was supposed to relinquish 25% of the total area outside the discoveries in 2004 and 2005, as per the Production Sharing Contract (PSC). However, the entire block was declared as a discovery area and RIL was allowed to retain it. In 2011, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) criticised the Oil Ministry for this decision. The CAG also faulted RIL for limiting the competition in contracts, stating that RIL awarded a $1.1 billion contract to Aker on a single-bid basis.
- "A unique and lucrative basin". January 18–31, 2003. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- Reliance gas-find 40 times bigger than Bombay High
- "KG-DWN-98/1 (KG-D6), Bay of Bengal". Offshore Technology. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Reliance gas-find 40 times bigger than Bombay High". rediff.com. 2002-10-31. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- Record gas discovery in India could hit projects
- RIL strikes 2 more gas reserves in KG basin
- ONGC scores hat-trick on gas discoveries
- Oil cos stumble on Olive Ridley ground
- "Specifications: KG-DWN-98/1 (KG-D6), Bay of Bengal". Offshore Technology. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Reliance completes one year of gas production in KG Basin". Chillx.info. 2010-04-02. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- CAG flays Oil Min for allowing RIL to retain D6 area
- Reliance violated contract terms in KG Basin, finds CAG report
- "Independent panel to probe discrepancies in Krishna-Godavari Basin". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 30 May 2014.