Outline of China
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to China:
The People's Republic of China is the most extensive country in East Asia and the third or fourth most extensive country in the world. With a population of over 1,300,000,000, it is the most populous country in the world.
The Communist Party of China (CPC) has led the PRC under a single-party system since the state's establishment in 1949. The PRC is involved in a dispute over the political status of Taiwan. The CPC's rival during the Chinese Civil War, the Kuomintang (KMT), fled to Taiwan and surrounding islands after its defeat in 1949, claiming legitimacy over China, Mongolia, and Tuva while it was the ruling power of the Republic of China (ROC). The term "Mainland China" is often used to denote the areas under PRC rule, but sometimes excludes its two Special Administrative Regions: Hong Kong and Macau.
Because of its vast population, rapidly growing economy, and large research and development investments, China is considered an "emerging superpower". It has the world's second largest economy (second largest in terms of purchasing power parity.) China is also a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation. Since 1978, China's market-based economic reforms have brought the poverty rate down from 53% in 1981 to 8% by 2001. However, China is now faced with a number of other socioeconomic problems, including an aging population, an increasing rural-urban income gap, and rapid environmental degradation.
China plays a major role in international trade. The country is the world's largest consumer of steel and concrete, using, respectively, a third and over a half of the world's supply of each. Counting all products, China is the largest exporter and the second largest importer in the world.
General reference 
- Pronunciation: /ˈtʃaɪ.nə/ ( listen)
- Mandarin: [tʂʊŋ˥˥ kuɔ˧˥]
- Common English country name: China
- Official English country name: The People's Republic of China
- Common endonym: 中国 (Zhōngguó) (The Middle Kingdom or Central Realm)
- Official endonym: 中华人民共和国 (Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó)
- Adjectivals: China, Chinese
- Demonym: Chinese
- Etymology: Name of China
- International rankings of the People's Republic of China
- ISO country codes: CN, CHN, 156
- ISO region codes: See ISO 3166-2:CN
- Internet country code top-level domain: .cn
Geography of China 
- China is: a megadiverse country
- Mongolia 4,677 km
- Russia 3,645 km
- India (excluding the territorial border disputes; McMahon Line is 3,380 km
- Myanmar 2,185 km
- Kazakhstan 1,533 km
- North Korea 1,416 km
- Vietnam 1,281 km
- Nepal 1,236 km
- Kyrgyzstan 858 km
- Pakistan 523 km
- Bhutan 470 km
- Laos 423 km
- Tajikistan 414 km
- Afghanistan 76 km
- Coastline: 14,500 km
- Population of China: 1,321,851,888(2007) - 1st most populous country
- Area of China: 9,640,821 square kilometres (3,722,342 sq mi) - 3rd largest country
- Atlas of China
Environment of China 
- Climate of China
- Environmental issues in China
- Ecoregions in China
- Renewable energy in China
- Geology of China
- Protected areas of China
- Wildlife of China
Natural geographic features of China 
- Glaciers of China
- Islands of China
- Lakes of China
- Mountains of China
- Rivers of China
- Valleys of China
- List of World Heritage Sites in the People's Republic of China
Regions of China 
Administrative divisions of China 
Provinces of China 
Districts of China 
Municipalities of China 
Demography of China 
- Main article: Demographics of China
Government and politics of China 
Branches of government 
Ruling party 
Executive branch of the government of China 
- Head of state: President of the People's Republic of China, Xi Jinping
- Head of government: Premier of the People's Republic of China, Li Keqiang
Legislative branch of the government of China 
Judicial branch of the government of China 
Foreign relations of China 
International organization membership 
The People's Republic of China is a member of:
Law and order in China 
- Main article: Law of China
- Capital punishment in China
- Constitution of the People's Republic of China
- Crime in China
- Human rights in China
- Law enforcement in the People's Republic of China
Military of China 
- Main article: People's Liberation Army
- Military history of China (pre-1911)
- Military ranks of China
Local government in China 
History of China 
Culture of China 
- Main article: Culture of China
- Architecture of China
- Cuisine of China
- Ethnic minorities in China
- Festivals in China
- Languages of China
- Media in China
- National symbols of China
- People of China
- Prostitution in China
- Public holidays in the People's Republic of China
- Religion in China
- List of World Heritage Sites in China
Art in China 
- Art in China
- Cinema of China
- Literature of China
- Music of China
- Television in the People's Republic of China
- Theatre in China
Sports in China 
- Main article: Sports in China
Economy and infrastructure of China 
- Main article: Economy of the People's Republic of China
- Economic rank, by nominal GDP (2011): 2nd (second)
- Agriculture in China
- Banking in China
- Communications in China
- Economic history of China
- Energy in China
- Health care in China
- China Stock Exchange
- Tourism in China
- Transport in China
- Water supply and sanitation in China
Education in China 
- Main article: Education in the People's Republic of China
See also 
|Chinese language edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- All pages beginning with "China"
- All pages with titles containing "China"
- All pages beginning with "Chinese"
- All pages with titles containing "Chinese"
- All pages beginning with "People's Republic of China"
- All pages with titles containing "People's Republic of China"
- Index of China-related articles
- International rankings of China
- List of China-related topics
- Member state of the Group of Twenty Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors
- Member state of the United Nations
- Outline of Asia
- Outline of geography
- Outline of Hong Kong
- Outline of Macau
- Outline of Taiwan
- Outline of Tibet
- "China". The World Factbook. United States Central Intelligence Agency. July 8, 2009. Retrieved July 23, 2009.
- Area rank is disputed with the United States and is either ranked third or fourth. See List of countries and outlying territories by area for more information.
- Gordon, Peter. "Review of "China: The Balance Sheet -- What the World Needs to Know Now About the Emerging Superpower"". The Asia Review of Books. Retrieved 2007-12-24.
- Miller, Lyman. "China an Emerging Superpower?". Stanford Journal of International Relations. Retrieved 2007-12-24.
- China Passes U.S. In Trade With Japan
- Trade Policy Outlook for Second-term Bush Administration
- China - Taiwan Economic Ties
- Beijing's Growing Politico-Economic Leverage Over Ulaanbaatar
- Fighting Poverty: Findings and Lessons from China’s Success (World Bank). Retrieved August 10, 2006.
- Yardley, Jim (December 29, 2007). "Beijing's Olympic Quest: Turn Smoggy Sky Blue". The New York Times. Retrieved May 20, 2010.
- "China fails environment targets". BBC News. January 10, 2007. Retrieved May 20, 2010.
- Center for International Trade in Forest Products China’s Building Boom. Retrieved December 2, 2006,
- The World Factbook, Rank Order - Imports.
- WTO: China Daily
- China has the longest total land boundaries of any country.
- China and Russia each border 14 countries, more than any other countries.
- Article 93 of the Constitution of the People's Republic of China places the authority to direct the armed forces of the PRC in the Central Military Commission. However, Article 80 gives the President of the People's Republic of China the power to proclaim martial law, proclaim a state of war, and issue mobilization orders. Since the mid-1990s, it has been standard practice to have the President, the CMC Chairman, and the General Secretary of the Communist Party of China be the same person although the differences in the start of terms means that there is some overlap between an occupant and his predecessor.
|Find more about China at Wikipedia's sister projects|
|Definitions and translations from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
|News stories from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Travel information from Wikivoyage|
- China.org.cn China news, weather, business, travel, language courses, archives
- U.S. Department of State, Background Note on China
- Interactive China map with province and city guides.
- China Digital Times Online China news portal, run by the Graduate School of Journalism of University of California at Berkeley.
- China Worker
- China Map
- China Flights
- NY Inquirer: China's 21st Century
- The Chinese Superpower-Historical Background, Dr Rivka Shpak-Lissak
- China Map Quest
- The 200 best books on China