List of islands of Taiwan
This is a list of islands under the administration of the Republic of China (ROC), commonly known as Taiwan, classified into various island groups. The island of Taiwan, formerly known as Formosa, is the largest island and the main component of whole ROC governing territories. Islands that are actively claimed by the ROC but not administered, such as the Senkaku Islands and most of South China Sea Islands, are excluded from the list.
Under the Constitution of the Republic of China, the islands on this list collectively form the term of "Free area of the Republic of China" or "Taiwan Area", which legally define the area effectively under the ROC government's control.
Archipelagos of Taiwan
|Other name||Major islands||Division|
|Taiwan||臺灣||Táiwān||Tâi-oân||Thòi-vàn||Formosa||Taiwan, Orchid Island, Green Island, Lamay Island, Guishan Island||Multiple|
|Penghu||澎湖||Pénghú||Phêⁿ-ô||Phàng-fù||Pescadores||Penghu, Xiyu, Baisha, Qimei, Wang'an||Penghu County|
|Kinmen||金門||Jīnmén||Kim-mn̂g||Kîm-mùn||Quemoy||Kinmen, Lieyu, Dadan, Erdan||Kinmen County|
|Matsu||馬祖||Mǎzǔ||Má-chó͘||Mâ-chú||Nangan, Beigan, Dongyin, Xiyin, Dongju, Xiju||Lienchiang County|
|Wuqiu||烏坵||Wūqiū||O·-kiu||Vû-hiu||Daqiu, Xiaoqiu||Kinmen County|
|Dongsha||東沙||Dōngshā||Tang-soa||Tûng-sâ||Pratas||All of Dongsha Islands||Kaohsiung City|
|Nansha||南沙||Nánshā||Lâm-soa||Nàm-sâ||Spratly||Taiping Island||Kaohsiung City|
Taiwan and its surrounding islands
- Island of Taiwan (Formosa; 臺灣島)
- Cijin (旗津島); formerly a longshore bar connected to the island of Taiwan at the southern tip, this link was severed in 1975.
- Keelung City
- Nantou County
- Pingtung County
- Taitung County
- Yilan County
- Gueishan Island (Turtle Mount; 龜山島)
- Penghu Islands (Pescadores Islands; 澎湖群島) (Penghu County)
- Kinmen (Quemoy; 金門列島)
- Matsu Islands (馬祖列島)
- Wuchiu (Wuqiu; 烏坵)
- Tachiu (Daqiu, Taciou; 大坵)
- Hsiaochiu (Xiaoqiu; 小坵)
South China Sea Islands
- South China Sea Islands (南海諸島) (Kaohsiung Municipality; only those listed below are controlled by the ROC)
The ROC keeps claims to all the South China Sea Islands, but only the Pratas and part of the Spratly islands are under its control. They are governed as part of Cijin District, City of Kaohsiung.
- Geography of Taiwan
- List of islands
- List of islands in the South China Sea
- Tachen Islands (islands evacuated in 1955)
- Tiaoyutai Islands (釣魚臺列嶼) (disputed with Japan and the People's Republic of China)
- http://www.asianresearch.org/articles/3115.html Taiwan's Spratly Initiative in the South China Sea
- "Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of China (Taiwan) reiterates its position on the South China Sea". 2010-07-29.