San Remigio, Cebu
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
Map of Cebu with San Remigio highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||4th district of Cebu|
|Barangays||27 (see § Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Mariano Martinez (LP)|
|• Vice mayor||Alfonso Pestolante|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||95.27 km2 (36.78 sq mi)|
|• Density||540/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|• Voters (2013)||34,079|
|IDD :||+63 (0)32|
|Income class||3rd class|
San Remigio (local pronunciation: //) is a third income class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines, 109 kilometres (68 mi) north of Cebu City. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 51,394. In the last election, it had 34,079 registered voters.
San Remigio celebrates its annual fiestas on 15 and 16 May in honor of their patron saints, San Isidro Labrador and San Juan Nepomuceno.
San Remigio was formerly known as "Kanghagas", a kind of tree that grew there in abundance. When the Spanish conquistadores came, they identified a town site by clearing the kanghagas trees through self-help labor. It was governed by a captain or gobernadorcillo.
Kanghagas was a part of barangay Punta.
- San Miguel
|Population census of San Remigio|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
San Remigio has the longest shoreline of any municipality in Cebu. There are several beach resorts, as well as public beaches with long stretches of white sand.
Today, San Remigio has become a new diving destination. There are a few marine sanctuaries, with new dive sites being developed all the time. A PADI dive shop in San Remigio Beach Club caters to beginner and experienced divers who want to enjoy San Remigio's marine life. In the water, you can see shark rays (guitarfish), white tip reef sharks, bamboo sharks, nurse sharks, schools of barracuda, whale sharks, turtles, manta rays and a lot more.
The port of Hagnaya offers a frequent ferry service to Bantayan Island.
The town of San Remigio has many public elementary and secondary schools. Secondary schools are San Remigio National High School, Dapdap National High School, Lambusan National High School, Libaong National High School, Jose Martinez Memorial (Gawaygaway) National High School, San Miguel National High School & Luyang National High School. Each barangay has an elementary and primary school.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "Province: Cebu". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "2013 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2013.
- "Population and Annual Growth Rates by Province, City and Municipality: Central Visayas: 1995, 2000 and 2007" (PDF). National Statistics Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 June 2011.
||Santa Fe ⛴ Hagnaya Bay||Hagnaya Bay (Visayan Sea)||Medellin|
|Visayan Sea||Bogo City