|Group:||Group I (dsDNA)|
Siphoviridae are a family of double-stranded DNA viruses infecting only bacteria. These viruses may also be referred to as bacteriophages. The characteristic structural features of this family are a nonenveloped head and noncontractile tail.
Virions of viruses in this family have an icosahedral capsid (morphotype B1) or a prolate capsid (morphotype B2). These capsids have no envelope and are generally about 60 nanometers in diameter. Members of this family are also characterized by their filamentous, cross-banded, noncontractile tails, usually with short terminal and subterminal fibers.
The organisation of genes in L5-, lambda-, phiC31-, psiM2-, Sfi21-, Sfi11-, sk1-, and TM4-like genera suggests that these may form a lamba supergroup (or subfamily).
The c2-like viruses have oblate heads.
The following viruses have been classified into genera:
- Genus c2-like viruses; type species: Lactococcus phage c2
- Genus L5-like viruses; type species: Mycobacterium phage L5
- Genus Lambda-like viruses; type species: Enterobacteria phage lambda
- Genus PhiC31-like viruses; type species: Streptomyces phage phiC31
- Genus PsiM1-like viruses; type species: Methanobacterium phage psiM1
- Genus sk1-like viruses
- Genus Sfi11-like viruses
- Genus T5-like viruses; type species: Enterobacteria phage T5
In addition to the above viruses, many members of Siphoviridae have been grouped into an unclassified group with no genus assignment. This group includes numerous phages known to infect Lactobacillus, Mycobacterium, Streptococcus, and other groups of bacteria.
- Lood R, Mörgelin M, Holmberg A, Rasmussen M, Collin M (2008). "Inducible Siphoviruses in superficial and deep tissue isolates of Propionibacterium acnes". BMC Microbiol. 8: 139. doi:10.1186/1471-2180-8-139. PMC 2533672. PMID 18702830.
- Brüssow H, Desiere F (2001) Comparative phage genomics and the evolution of Siphoviridae: insights from dairy phages. Mol Microbiol 39(2):213-22.
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?id=10699 NCBI Taxonomy (Siphoviridae)
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?mode=Tree&id=196894&lvl=3&lin=f&keep=1&srchmode=1&unlock NCBI Taxonomy (unclassified Siphoviridae)